Can't post my Demo

I have finished my first demo, and I went to the Choice Script Wiki to upload it. I followed the instructions until I got to the part about opening a Public Folder, but it says that I have to pay $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year to upgrade to pro. It said that is the only way to get a public folder. The website said I could use share link to send it to people, but when try to share a link, it just asks you to download it to your computer. PLEASE HELP ME!!! I am at my wits end!

@sokol07
The compiled game runs correctly locally, or the actual game?
The compiler can’t “read” your directory for scene files, so it relies on you listing them all under *scene_list - you don’t need to do this in an uncompiled game, so it’s entirely possible that omitting scenes from the scene_list will break a compiled version but not a folder version.

It won’t be a CSS error, it sounds like it’s something to do with that reference error, would you mind sending me a link to the compiled file via PM so I can take a closer look?

hmmm weird, i dont like dropbox but i know you should be able to do stuff in the settings to get a public folder

I heard a rumour that only old Dropbox accounts would allow public sharing of links for free, but then didn’t hear anything since then. I’m curious if that’s the case or not.

Well, i have a public folder and i made my account about a year ago, so that could be.
If that really is the problem, well… that sucks.

Yeah, that’s insane -_- I’m glad I made my account about a year and a half ago…

It sounds like I’m screwed. :-((

Does anyone have any idea on what to do. It would suck if I just wasted my entire weekend finishing my Demo and no one even gets to see it.

Does anyone have any idea on what to do. It would suck if I just wasted my entire weekend finishing my Demo and no one even gets to see it.

Edit: Stupid computer posted this twice, sorry.

@Gunhand4171 It looks like you found a way around the restriction / cost for a dedicated Public folder. Wiki needs updating to suit though - was the method you used something like the process described in the following helpfile?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/167/en

@Vendetta
Lol nope. I sent my file to Cataphrak. He put the file in his public folder and sent me the link. But if will read that helpfile and try it out on my next upload. Sorry that doesn’t help very much.

@Gunhand4171 :frowning: I’m probably just clutching at straws here, in the hope we can find a usable (and free) solution, as I’m far from convinced that the page I linked to is the right kind of file sharing for our purposes… Blah. It would be a sad day indeed if new WIPs have to go back to using something like webs.com.

Has anyone tried the Google facility for file sharing? Does that have a free public folder?

Well that sucks.

@Vendetta
This is what I mean when I say how it’s not ideal to rely on third party services :frowning:

The issue with Google Drive is that (last I checked) due to how the URLs are built, it doesn’t allow sourcing from directories above the requesting file (which CS does).
You could rejiggle the choicescript files and change some tags to make it work, but it’s quite the faff.

One other solution, though still not ideal, might be to upload compiled games.
Once a file is shared on dropbox, you can actually change the crappy “share” links to a direct download link by simply replacing www. with dl., however this will only work on that one file, so it’s a no-go for a normal choicescript directory.
You’ll just get this for any sourced files:

It may however (I haven’t tested it) allow us to get away with hosting single .html files.

EDIT: I just tried it and swapping out the www. on a compiled file outside of the public folder seems to work! My First ChoiceScript Game

Could you explain what you did to get it to work outside the public folder in a bit more depth? I’ll need to take advantage of this at some point soon, haha.

@BrianBlack My thoughts exactly. @CJW Were you talking about dl. instead of www.?

@BrianBlack
@DSeg

1. First download this version of compile.html:
    Dropbox - compile.html - Simplify your life

EDIT: The currently shipped version of compile.html in recent builds should work fine, there’s no to download the above version unless you’re having problems.

Look in your game’s top directory where the test files and the like are:

Replace the current compile.html with the one you just downloaded (very important!).

1. Open your new compile.html in Firefox, after a variable amount of time (not too long though) you should see something similar to the following:

2. As instructed, download the file. That file should be a .html file and it should be a working copy of your game.

3. Upload this new mygame.html file to dropbox (doesn’t matter where).

4. Once it’s uploaded you need to obtain the sharing link, the method for which varies slightly depending on whether you do it through dropbox.com or the dropbox application.

5. Once you have the link (it should look something a little like the one below)
    Dropbox - mygame_complete.html - Simplify your life

Replace “www” with “dl” and “dropbox” with “dropboxusercontent”, like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/z06ut7b2z5fbpt5/mygame_complete.html

–

There you have, did that make sense?
I’m sorry it’s not a bit easier, but it’s the best I can do right now.
I did try and make some changes to the compile file that would allow it to be uploaded to Dropbox and give you the link automatically, but the API doesn’t want to work locally :confused:

11 Likes

@CJW Thanks for the instructions.

@CJW, Thank you for that. I wasn’t quite sure how I would be able to upload future demos, but this seems to do the trick. ^:)^

@CJW, sorry if I’m being dumb here, this is my first post. I’ve just made an account to ask you this. I have a choicescript game I’ve been working on for a long time, and I cannot upload it to dropbox because the public folder was removed. I tried your method, but I cannot download your compile.html folder. The link takes me to a blank, white screen.

I’ve even sent the link to some of my friends, and they can’t download it either. Could you please re-upload it for me? It’s really the only way I’ll be able to host my game online, and I would greatly appreciate it.

As always, I am willing to host CoG wips. But not really setup to do anything like dropbox. @CJW is there a good way we can setup web access for wips on my server?