Welcome to Son of Satan: The Mortal Coil.
This game contains content that may not be for everyone including some violence, alcohol and drug references as well as scenes of a sexual nature. There is an option in the stats menu (Toggle mature content filter) that will give you options marked #Fade to black that will skip over scenes of a sexual nature. If you choose not to skip, these scenes are implicit rather than explicit. Any discussion of the NSFW portions of the game will take place in the corresponding thread in the Adult Content section of the forum, which can be found here.
Stat balancing is not currently a priority (as in the author may have not actually assigned all the stats she wants to at this point/is still tweaking the system).
Please let me know if you catch anything that seems awkward or out of place to you.
Archangels were designated to serve the whims of their God. As Gabriel, you wield power and influence in Heaven. Yet your God, silent for centuries, has given you an order, one unlike any other you have received. You are to raise a satanspawn on earth, living in secret as a mortal. play as the archangel, Gabriel. Your cover is that of a junior detective with the Major Crimes division of JCPD. It’s supposed to be a straightforward protection detail.
But things rarely go according to plan.
Will you stay loyal to Heaven and their rules or will you play it fast and loose? Will you try to seize the throne or find your place on Earth? Will the satanspawn prove to be beyond saving or will you raise him to be a beacon of hope?
Work with the various supernatural factions in one of the few cities that is neutral in the war between Heaven and Hell. Fall in love, solve a few cases, and discover if your past will define your future.
The Story So Far
Gabriel is an archangel of God. They have a specific set of skills and their own Angel Blade, which they are now to use to protect a chosen child, who also happens to be a Satanspawn. After creating a mortal shell to possess, Gabriel passes out, falling into a memory of the events surrounding former archangel Ramiel’s Fall.
Demo: Try the demo here.
Tumblr: Want extra information on the characters or the world? Head over here and feel free to submit any questions to the author or charactes!
Discord: Feel like chatting with others about SoS? Come join the official discord!
8 Aug 2018
Total Wordcount: 330k+
Several typos/scenario tweaks in the beginning scenes
All of Laniwynn’s solo branches are complete and available
All of Leochlan’s paths have been revamped to fit better with the style and length of Laniwynn’s (each scene more than doubled in length)
The trial scene has been completed. There are 3 primary branches based on if you went to the fae village and returned with Ramiel, if you went to the fae village and returned without Ramiel (and know his secret), and if you have no idea what is going on (skipped the fae village completely or left right away).
The dance with both option is now available. No, this does not lead to a poly scene with the fae twins.
You can now choose to be asexual and aromantic (NOTE: This will not allow for any variation of romantic paths, but includes platonic paths)
You can choose to be asexual and romantically attracted to people–this will effect relationships, though you can still choose to be physically intimate/
You can choose to be aromantic and sexually attracted to people–this will effect relationships, some more than others, and may change the availability of some characters who require romantic feelings for a serious relationship (TBA).
You can choose to be romantically and sexually attracted to people.
2/32 combinations from Scene Two: A Host of Hunters have been revamped to fit better with earlier choices. These are currently sneaking behind the enemy with either a morningstar or a staff. Each weapon tactic combination will have eight new variations that support the eight choices you can make during the first scene (four initial skill choices, then two trait choices). The rest will be rolled out as they are completed.
For those interested in having a more-than-strictly-platonic relationship with a character, there are now two components to that: a sexual attraction and a romantic attraction.
In the same vein, there are now more variables for tracking how those relationships are proceeding. Yippee!
The stats screen now includes a character description, just in case you forget what you look like.
The stats screen also has more sub-menus so the first page doesn’t look like a bomb went off.
Skills now include a verbal description for all the different variations of Angel Blades. Also, you have some higher skills to better reflect your rank as an archangel. Level up! ((Rank 5 does not have the text yet, but you can’t reach that rank quite yet either ))
You will have a base wing color of white and an Angel Blade of a spear if you feel like looking at yourself in the stat screen before you can choose these.
There is now a romantic relationship sub-menu if you are interested or possibly interested in someone. This also includes aromantic relationships that are more than platonic.
Your traits now come with a verbal description.
Your characteristics now come with a verbal description.
Total word count now 160K+
General Update/Bug fixes:
- Act 1, scene 1 has been revamped. It’s not a huge overhaul, but I feel that it flows better. Now you can meet Athiel.
- All scenes up to the flashback have had their first editing pass (by me, so there are likely still typos to be found).
- A few entries have been added to the glossary. If you are unsure what something means, check the glossary. If it’s not in there, pester me.
- Added stat changes to all scenes up to the first flashback
- Renamed some stats, added others
- Added another option to the Michael confrontation in scene 3.
Story updates and requested feedback:
- As always, if you encounter a grammatical error or bug, please post in the forum with a screenshot. It’s much appreciated!
- 3/5 of the paths through the fae flashback have been added. If you skip this flashback entirely, then you won’t notice anything changing. The alternate path for skipping has not been implemented.
- The fae flashback scene is over 50k words, over half the length of the rest of the scenes combined. Lot of branches to explore.
- Are there any other pressing questions folks want to ask Leochlan? Submit them here or on tumblr and they may get added to his question menu.
- If there are any areas where you feel more responses/other responses than what are there would be appropriate, please let me know. I make no promises about changing anything, but odds are favorable that I will.
- Anything else you feel like commenting on!
- Finished the fourth scene entirely (two new branches, shell creation)
- Added a teaser/the start of the first flashback (~10k)
- Total word count of playable words now over 100k
- Added the ability to toggle showing stat changes after options
- Added one path of the next scene (~10k)
- Added the third scene (~14k words, total words now about ~58k)
- Added verbal descriptions to relationship statuses
- First 37,000+ words and first two scenes are complete (no missing paths, third scene disabled)
- Number of save slots increased to 7
- Miscellaneous grammar/continuity errors fixed
- Toggle effects (fade) from the stats screen
**The next update**
Converse with Ramiel in Heaven’s cells, finishing the first part of the fae flashback. Select your shell name, and get started on your human life.
**At some point**
At some point: Meet and potentially ally with a faction of gods (Roman, Greek, Norse, or Egyptian). Train some nephilim. Meet a medium who knows what you are. Play muse to Leonardo da Vinci. Battle in the arenas of ancient Rome as a gladiator on assignment with Israfel. Solve some murders. Chew out some demons. Argue with Michael. Argue with Michael again. Maybe a third time. Deal with the politics of heaven–or ignore them. Learn how to cook so you don’t starve as a human.
Does my Gabriel have to be called Gabriel?
No. This is how the other angels will address you unless otherwise corrected, however. When you create your human shell you will get to select your own appearance (hair, eyes, skin, height), gender and name.
Are there romances?
Yes. Currently there are 15 revealed romances.
Is Lucifer/Daniel/Israfel a RO?
No. And I won’t say why other than spoilers. (Though if you really want to find out, I can almost guarantee you’ll figure out why by reading through this thread).
First of all, please take a look at what descriptions I have in the stat screen. Try to have specific questions rather than general in these regards (because these are sort of in a flux state so the more specific question you have, the better answer I can give). Secondly: as previously mentioned, this is a very small portion of the game. There are some opportunities for stats and relationship increases with Lucifer, but stats are not a primary focus in the prologue. The prologue and the first couple sections will outline your character so choices like weapons and wings are important to defining your Gabriel and do have stat changes but they don’t lock you into a certain playstyle (however, playing a character that is at odds with their chosen weapon will be harder).