Announcing the Choice of Games Contest for Interactive Novels

Well, whoever wins, the HG release schedule’s going to be pretty solid after this!

18 Likes

True. I saw wording in the rules about being “eliminated from the contest.”

Perhaps this means that entries that don’t hit the judges’ requirements could be released sooner? They could still be great games, although they might not meet the aesthetic qualifiers that put them on the short list of contest contenders?

2 Likes

I think it is a tremendous response. At least 2.5 million words (and likely well over 3 million), and a year’s worth of releases either ready to go or nearly so. It’s kind of a big deal.

7 Likes

Everyone who completed an entry has my respect - I’ve grown a lot in my ability to make a CS just by going through this.

My hope is there are so many great entries that we’ll get a lot of CoG titles, even if they don’t win the prizes.

Edit:

Most definitely. I know my game is larger then I thought it would be, both in total words and words per play-through.

16 Likes

The contest rules seem to suggest winners will be announced in June, but I imagine there will could still be editing to be done after that, plus all the other preparations that need to be made prior to publication.

Plus, even if all of the entries are completely ready to go without editing, I imagine CoG/Hosted Games will not want to publish twenty five titles all at once. That wouldn’t make a lot of sense as a marketing move. So I imagine we’ll probably see a steady trickle of releases after the winners are announced. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we don’t see some of these until next year.

Whatever the results, I’m really glad this contest gave me the motivation to finish my entry. Congratulations to everyone who submitted, and best of luck to all of you.

11 Likes

I hope you’re right, Lucid. Obviously placing in the contest would be worth the wait. But if they can tell right off that you won’t score high enough to do so, it makes sense to let some of the eliminated entries out a little early to stagger the releases.

4 Likes

Judging to May 31st and your name on the list until June 30th, but nothing says that they can’t finish their judging and post the winners before that time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m starting to wonder what they would have done had there been 50 entries.

25 seems overwhelming enough for a small staff.

10 Likes

Perhaps they would have to outsource the judging hmmm hahahahaha

I feel bad for @jasonstevanhill he will have to update those annoucements. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

180 Files: The Aegis Project @Scribblesome
A Scoundrel’s Choice
Critical Mass: The Black Vein @Michael_Meillarec
Critical Mass: The Bridge @Michael_Meillarec
Dragon Racer @ToxicDreams
Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum @nauhziy
Isolation: Deep Dive @Eiwynn
Missing Wings @Carlos.R
Night Shift
Nuclear Powered Toaster @hustlertwo
Ouroboros Reset
Pathways
Quarterlife
Robin Hood’s Unusual Tales @Christy_Waites
Tale of Two Cranes @SharpOne
The Aegis Saga @Charles_Parkes

(Can only use @ with 10 names in a post.)

15 Likes

The Butler Did It @Delliot
The Grim and I @ThomB
The Last Wizard @Lucid
The Lawless Ones @Avery_Moore
The Magician’s Burden @Samuel_H_Young
The Trial of Souls
The Twelve Trials @Luxtizer
Weak
Wonders, Horrors, and Miracles

That’s all I can find. Let me know if I missed anyone out. :grin:

16 Likes

The Twelve Trials is mine. Feel free to tag me.

8 Likes

Okay, will do. :grin:

1 Like

The Butler Did It - I did it! Long time player, first time forum’er.

13 Likes

Welcome to the community.

I’m glad you decided to join the forums as well as submit your entry.

11 Likes
21 Likes

Thank you for the kind words @Mary_Duffy and for all your hard work as well. (this last is directed to everyone at CoG)

12 Likes

Hey Avery,

Missing Wings - this one is mine. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hello everyone, just wanted to say well done to you all - those who submitted and also to everyone who tried but didn’t make it, but still went a long way with their WIP

Personally speaking, there’s no way I would have got through any part of the process without such an amazing load of people. Thank you!

21 Likes