Fatehaven

what do you mean by almost?

Well, I thought you were responding to my previous comment. Otherwise, I don’t really know what you’re talking about. xD

“Who was the damsel in distress in the beginning?”
srsly? @Samuel_H_Young

Oh, yeah. Still getting used to the new forum so I didn’t see that you were replying to that specific comment.

@Samuel_H_Young no problem dude :smiley: :slight_smile:

Hey is there artwork for the characters out?

Well. Found, bought, and finished in the same day. And while there were some things I didn’t like, most just personal preference, I felt I had to give my thanks to the author. I sincerely doubt I’ll be forgetting this one any time soon.

Now to find what Patch looked like again, and probably fail at drawing her. Or him. Or both. That genderswap thing makes it kinda hard to draw characters. Oh well.

So what are all of the possible endings? I believe there are supposed to be six. I completed the game and was able to stop the disaster, happy to find out that I could still be with Patch.
Oh and on a side note I loved the way the end (or at least the ending i read) was written. I got very sad when i saw the prologue come back around but was very amused of the option to sass the narrator by telling it (or me rather) to “Shut up”
This was my absolute favorite Hosted Game and i hope for more like it. Keep up the good work!

First off, @HornHeadFan said most of what I wanted to say in his post, so I will add my own experience of it.

First, I did find it rather jarring to be taken out of the ‘end of the demo’, to which point I was quite into the story. I wanted to be back there with Bregan, not ‘later as some bar, being drunk-ish’ with this at that time unknown cat-person, later Patch – who by the way increasingly seemed to take mean jabs at me, to the point where I did not even consider any relationship with him beyond work. I did feel sad when he went into the corner and died, however, because while I may not have enjoyed his barbs I did not wish him any harm either, hoping he had the kind of impressive healing abilities as big cats do in our world. :cry:

I did feel increasingly railroaded, often having no choice in action or even how I (my character) reacted or her emotions. At a couple of occasions I felt downright uncomfortable (similar to @poison_mara) and nearly stopped playing, with my character having near opposite view on things (then and after). A warning would have been nice.

Overall it was enjoyable enough, but I doubt I will play it again due to its linear nature and, seemingly, lack of impact of choices (unlike some other linear games that I played many times due to choices having more impact, at least seemingly).

I did die once and had to start over from scratch – that was rather tedious, to be honest, and I merely skimmed, repeating my choices until I reached that same point again so I could pick the other choice.

Also, sometimes I had no idea what my character said or not (not counting the scene in the dungeon). That could have been made clearer.

I must say, the style of the demo was superior to the rest, after that I felt less connected (and even taken out of the story as mentioned above). Write more like that and it will be great.

As @HornHeadFan said, I woulld love to see a game with more meaningful choices (player agency, oh, I got to remember that one!) made by you and in the end I do not regret buying Fatehaven. :smile:

1 Like

I really liked this game even if the choices were really few. The story is entertaining and great job by the author.

Overall loved the game. I have minor issues here and there with the story and I found like one or two typos still in it, but overall its a great game and I like it. :smile:

@MultipleChoice Is it possible to get full corruption in this game? The highest I recall getting is like 70-80%. Also what’s the highest renown you’re capable of getting? I got 20 on my first playthrough, which is the highest I’ve gotten so far (with like 5 playthroughs XD)

But yes thank you for creating this game ^^ Loved it lots

I made this account specifically to post here about this game. Without question this is one of the best interactive stories I’ve ever played, and one of the most creative stories I’ve ever read. You did an amazing job, and while it could’ve used a little more interactivity, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And while others seemed to have an issue with the perspective you wrote in, I found it very creative. However, I see why some might’ve found it confusing, so that’s something to take into account for next time.

I’m very disappointed in what I’ve seen in the beginnings of this thread. The perspective writing was already mentioned multiple times, but many users felt the need to constantly repeat themselves, especially Samuel, even after the author implored them to contact him in PMs. Then we have Samuel and poison_mara bringing up veganism, sexual abuse (of which there was none in the game), and so on. This is a very poor showing of the community and certainly dissuades authors.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

So yeah Hello! I just finished the game a few minutes ago and must say I had ALOT of fun with it, Especially the ending hit the spot for me. (I’m always like that in Novels).
But like the others said before me the biggest problem I had was that the few choices you got(and in comparison to other Choice games that was not alot) didn’t feel like they had much impact on the story and sometimes they didn’t even had any what so ever, wich was a big disapointment most of the time.

But I have to say I really enjoyed that you only had a few choices to make, I like Novels and I also like to make decissions in these games so having a Story that drives itself alot more was a nice thing to see. (But seeing the few choices you made doing nothing in the end was still sad).

I really hope you make more games like this especially in a Fantasy setting because I think you write these really well.
I would rate this game 7.7/10 :3

I really liked this game some of the unique things.

The Stats. I noticed early on in the game. You have a choice where you lived. What race lived beside you. Depending on your upbringing. The story was influenced in a way that made an actual impact on my choices. That’s exactly what I look for in a game. Choices that matter.

I noticed early in depending on what I said boosted certain things about me. (Leadership, Noble, Etc) I early on in the game started to build bonds with my best friend. While I "(Spoiler Alert) decided to craft her the weapon from scratch because I knew how much she liked it.

Learning those hidden secrets from woman in the woods. I was surprised how strong I became. Though I found it disappointing that I didn’t see her later on. I played the game twice. I noticed when your other friend throws her to the ground trying to choke her. There’s an option to pull her off or not. What I didn’t realize till the second play. That trying to toss her off sometimes didn’t work.

As the story progressive. I grew familiar with the humor in the story. Towards the end of the story. I really wished I had seen that woman in woods return. As I grew attached to her early on in the story. Also I would liked to explore my companion who thought coin was everything towards the end of the story. I knew some about her, there wasn’t a romance option or even a chance to talk in depth.

I played Tin Star, Zombies etc. But this game ranks high above them. Because the personal stats that have an impact on the story. How long the actual story is. It was like finishing the novel. I like the fact you took your time with it and didn’t rush. I really liked how you had alternative paths to follow down. I hope your story would inspire other authors that they can have alternative endings and paths.

I hope you are writing a new story that would be in equal to length, choices making a difference and quality of the writing. Your story is one of the best of hosted games. I know. I played almost every single hosted game out there. This is easily one of my favorite story’s.

@Jason_Miller You mean patch?

Depends. What we talking about again. Person in the woods who does blood magic. No

The woman at the end who believes her worth is in money. Is that patch.

@Jason_Miller You DO see the person in the woods again, at the end of the game. They’re one of the three romance options.

‘Patch’ is the cat-person who primarily cares about money, yes. They are ALSO a romance option.

On another thread, I referred to Fatehaven as the “novel on rails” type of CoG. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like it – in particular the twist ending is fantastic, beautifully meta like nothing else on the site – but like the Heroes Rise games, I felt Fatehaven prioritized plot and length over meaningful choice. The story was satisfyingly long, and that length means that the plot is very similar on repeat playthroughs. The author himself has been very clear about making this trade-off:

Because the author knew the story he wanted, and wanted to get it done and published in reasonable time, he made some choices that limited the impact of player choice:

• The choices after the opening “demo” section don’t move your stats.
  • The stats you set in the early game occasionally determine whether or not you fail at something you choose to do – but whether you succeed or fail those checks, the plot rolls ahead on the same course.
  • If you try making a choice to do something which would send the plot in a significantly different direction, the impact does not last more than a paragraph or two. Your choices don’t unlock subplots.
  • The “element” of your magic makes no significant difference in the story. Fire, air, water, earth… you get only quite small flavor text differences (and if I recall correctly, almost none after the first four chapters).

None of that means it’s a bad game. You’ll see a lot of reviews earlier in this thread from people who didn’t like it, and you’ll see a lot of rave reviews from people who did.

But it highlights how hard it is to combine length with real, meaningful choice. We’ve had conversations in the past about the trilemma that authors face – when it comes to CoGs, the story can be long, deep (in terms of “real” choices branching the plot), or economical, but not all three. Tin Star has length and depth like nothing else I’ve seen on the site… and it’s an obvious labor of love, which probably won’t come close to compensating Allen for the many, many hours that went into it.

If I’m wrong, I hope he lets me know, as that would encourage me in my own labor of love game, which has been taking literally years longer to write than I’d initially hoped! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

After I rescued that woman from the tower. She kept asking me to look at her with eyes full of lust. I ended up kissing her then shortly after the game ended. I suppose I overlooked a choice that could have lead me back to the woman in the woods. At the ending. When Patch, and everyone else is at the Tavern. I didn’t see the girl that taught me magic.

Was there a choice that lead me to her.

Other people may not like the game. If they do. It may not be their favorite. I like it because of the unique choices. The alternative paths ensures people will replay the game. That to me is what a choice game should be all about. Over time in the story you build up certain stats like in Mobster.

When if you have enough of those stats you can use them in a choice. I’ll admit at first. I wasn’t too found of the game. More I read into the story. More engaged I became. More attached to the people. I don’t see why people like games like Tin Star(No offensive to that game) more then this one.

It’s length wise is great. Quality of the writing is excellent. Offer several choices to pick from. Something not all games do. You also don’t charge an arm and a leg. There’s this one game called The Ascot. It’s priced at 4.99. I assume that’s with the discount till Jan 2.

It barely has two sentences in writing. The humor as others mention falls flat. I just hope there’s a sequel to this game or a game like in a different story about. I’m really interested in getting the next one.

I’ve only sampled The Ascot once, but I agree that it’s nothing like Fatehaven.

I’ve replayed Mobster some 15 times since it came out, because (a) the endings are really distinct, (b) there’s an interesting variety of subplots unlocked by your choices throughout the game, and (c) there’s a real challenge in getting the right combination of high stats to reach many of the endings. By contrast, I share the Fatehaven author’s own judgment that the variation in his story can probably be exhausted in 2-3 readthroughs; and on the plus side, I also agree that his focus on narrative makes for more vivid characters than Mobster.

Breadth, depth (of choice and/or character), length, something’s always got to give – unless you’re writing an uneconomical labor of love that tries for everything, in which case what gives is your hope of making a living off your CoG work. :smile:

Fair enough that Tin Star wasn’t your cup of tea. But it has even more possible endings than Mobster, much more pathway variation based on your choices, and characters with considerable depth whose relationships to you (and each other) can go down wildly different pathways. For readers who value replaying with significantly different paths and outcomes, there’s nothing else like it in the CoG canon so far.