The alpha version for my WIP “When In Rome” is over here:
The description: Orphaned and poor and on your own in ancient Rome, you make allies and patrons, claw your way up through the social classes, and (possibly) change the course of history. You have several choices for the sort of life you’ll lead (scribe? slave dealer? concubine? dirty street poet?). Even a lowly plebeian can end up in the middle of a plot against the emperor…but it’s going to have to be without an army, senatorial power, or heaps of gold. The more focused you are on a specific goal—wealth and power, or glory, or love—the better the chance of achieving it (and not getting your friends killed off along the way). This story guarantees at least one stabbing in the Coliseum, lamps in naughty shapes, a discontent volcano, a troupe of nose-flute players, as many temples as you could ever possibly need, one obliquely observed orgy, and an extremely unpredictable emperor.
It’s relationshippy, somewhat romancey, and occasionally raunchy if you have a very low definition of raunchy.
It’s still an early version, so if you’re tolerant of unpaved roads, come have a look. Eventually every thread ends with a stop sign, but I put in a couple of shortcuts to hop over to other branches. I’m hoping to have a complete beta version by…middle of March? Maybe? I’m optimistic. It’s about 75% written, and part of the other 25% is fleshing out sparse descriptions, and I’m sure there’s another 25% that I haven’t thought of that will come up when people other than myself look at it. It’s 80,000 words at this point (including the parts on the other side of the stop signs), but it branches a lot. Alas, you cannot at the moment get to the volcano.
I’m obsessed with Rome and what it must have been like to be an ordinary person there, and it’s hard for me to get my head out of that and figure out what’d be fun for other people, so any feedback would be great. As well as feedback on gameplay, wacky typos, usefulness of stats, plot potholes, etc. Thanks!