What kind of stories do you want to see for Choice of Games & Hosted Games?

I think there needs to be more sports based games. Slammed! is one of the best COGs I have ever read, and it’s probably my favorite of all time and definitely the one that got me into Gamebooks. So, being a sports fan myself, I’d love to see a few more, I’d definitely read them all, no matter which sport it is.

Unless it’s Golf. Just no.

1 Like

I am currently looking for gamebooks that involve genres such as high fantasy, sci fi, and / or something involving survival in a semi-open or fully open world. Whether in a post-apocalyptic era or in a distant and savage alien world or even in the not-so-distant future.

Best of Us may not have been an epic game besides having been short, but he made an approach that I loved and unfortunately have not seen in other games like the saga Hero Rise, Community College, Paradigma City, which is to choose your own power! I would love superpower games that would give you that freedom. I know it’s an approximation, an aspect, that requires so much time as work and research, but I believe it would be worth it.

(Note: I apologize to the authors if I wrote some name of their works wrong)

One thing I would like to see in upcoming games is the description of the appearance of the characters as JimD did in ZESH. I’m not saying it should be mandatory, although it would add a touch to the game since I’m one of those people who quickly forgets the appearance of a certain character besides having doubts if such an RO has blue eyes, black hair, a beard, etc. .

I agree that gender games as sports could get more attention. I have not finished playing Fielder yet, but from what I’ve seen it’s an unprecedented game!

Games involving the MC being responsible for building a particular city, renovating / upgrading a building or something of that kind should get more attention. It would be cool to have a text-based game that focused on building and improving it through a city’s time and history. As if it were a Sim City or City Skylines with a plot, captivating characters and a memorable climax!

I think that’s all …

One with a sex scene, haven’t seen one of them in a while

4 Likes

Court intrigue games like Seven Heirs of Ophaesia.

2 Likes

Stories with/about older characters (35+ years). Like, maybe an MC who actually already did their big heroic deed in their youth (that you would usually see as a game main plot) but now this person deals with the aftermath of that or with the fact that they still feel unfulfilled or are now wondering about their (new) purpose in life.

Hell, I’d even play a game about someone who’s retired from being a superhero/evil assassin and missing their career and trying to find/making a new place for themselves in life.

Example: A retirement home for superheroes/villains (maybe superheroes and villains can co-exist in the same retirement home because they’re retired?). Cue our 80-year-old MC who’s insanely bored and doesn’t want to play bingo with Sheila and Marleen who both smell of wet dog.

MC finds an unexpected friend and ally in their direct opposite, a hero/villain (depending on what you chose your MC to be) who’s equally frustrated with the bad food, the bland conversation, and the fact that all superpowers are forbidden just to keep the peace. Not to mention the fact that the nurses act suspicious as hell and there’s just something about the pills they have to take every day that MC cannot remember their doctor ever prescribing them (dun dun dun).

Sorry for the brainstorming paragraphs. I couldn’t help myself. :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I would want a game where you play as a superhero but as a teenager like psy high but with a story like heroes rise. A game that’s like this is a WIP called Totem Force.
WIP: Totem Force [Released!]

2 Likes

@Someone_On_Earth
My CoG contest entry, The Magician’s Burden, and my WIP, The Enchanter’s Misery, both allow you to choose from three different magic types. In TMB, it’s stealth magic (invisibility, extinguishing lights, weightlessness), light magic (creating light, healing, and soothing tempers), and destruction magic (growing claws, destroying objects, and fireballs.) In Misery, it’s corporeal magic (intangibility, invulnerability, and ice touch), incorporeal magic (levitating objects, disorientating sonic frequencies, and teleportation), and illusion magic (illusions, clairvoyance, and mind-reading.)

@Redway_bull
Both of my stories above are focused on romance and have/will have erotica. :stuck_out_tongue: Burden has flirting/kissing/messing around throughout, and then somewhat detailed sex scenes with each of the four ROs at the end. Misery will have the same amount of romance per RO, but with six of them.

TMB is in the publishing queue but TEM currently has a demo up on the forums. I realized I ranted a bit and this is shameless self promotion, but based off your comments, I thought you might be interested. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well @ParrotWatcher will be thrilled to hear that. :grinning:
Although at this point it does seem like the final version, whenever that is will contain disturbing scenes of vivisection.

2 Likes

Storyline 1
It’s the year 2157. In response to increasingly elaborate crimes being committed by illegally enhanced humans, Genco was formed: An organisation dedicated to developing technological and genetic enhancements to give law enforcement agents a chance to compete on an equal playing field.

However ten years on, your enhancements are at least a generation behind the up and coming stars of the force you’ve been mentoring, and you’ve heard a rumour that the higher ups are planning to force you to accept a desk job, something you would despise, and give your position to one of the newbies.

Do you a) Play it straight and try to show that experience trumps raw talent? b) Sabotage the newbies to secure your position. c) How dare they betray you like that? Throw it all in and turn to the dark side, bringing down the company from within.

Storyline 2
After saving the people of New New York one too many times, you decided you’d earned your retirement and retreated from the lime light for the quiet life. The problem is, although it’s taken you years to realise this, the quiet life is just too…well quiet.

So you’re out of retirement, facing problems like:
People no longer recognising you.
Not having kept up with your training schedule, so your powers are somewhat weakened and unpredictable.
Not keeping up with the heroes and villains scene. (Mistaking the hero for a villain or vice versa- awkward!)
New laws you’re unused to have been put into place governing what you can and cant do when hunting down the criminal elements which can land you in hot water.

(Edit- these aren’t my WIP’s, I’ve got too many as it is. Just thinking aloud :smile:)

5 Likes

Now I’m picturing an ending in which you and your enhancements save the day because they cannot be manipulated/hacked in the ways the new enhancements can. And since I suspect evil conspiracies everywhere, I bet that Genco is also somehow in bed with whoever makes the illegal enhancements. (Because, naturally, they want people to keep needing enhancements. And for that, they offer their product to both sides, law enforcement and criminals.)

Quelle horreur! Honestly, the thought of a vain, washed-up superhero makes me laugh. Maybe they want nothing more than to sell their memoirs (they could have some stories from the wild, scandalous seventies and then there’s that one time when This Big Wholesome Hero hit on them in a surprisingly non-wholesome way three decades ago) but people cannot be bothered to remember or recognize them.

Ugh, the more I think about all these ideas, the more excited I get about them. Too bad I’m not a writer myself. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’d make sense wouldn’t it? I mean if a company like that was playing both sides against each other, the defense forces are going to keep throwing more money at Genco to make improvements and new enhancements for them to combat the illegal ones out there.

Yeah I’d really like to see a super hero story where they’re coming out of retirement (due to boredom, need for money or desire to be in the spotlight again,) to a whole lot of potential problems as well. (A non-adoring public perhaps being the most critical issue to some, especially those trying to get their fame up to speed and sell those memoirs!)

3 Likes

I would like to see a renaissance era with the matchlock musket just being invented and the shift in all those cultures and ideas, along with a new arts style from the late medieval ages

1 Like

I like to see stories that I haven’t seen in movies , games or book . I like original stories , stories that make me think ‘That’s genius way to write that!’ . Stories that make me stay up till morning to finish it . Stories that drag you in a rollercoaster of emotions…you hate the vilain , you love the vilain , you wanna save the vilain , you wanna kill the vilain …

As well as make me laugh , cry and rage . That kind of emotions .

I also like stories that take me elsewhere , magical , tech , steampunk whatever …it’s new , its a wonder , its a horrible place…but sure like hell it’s not here !

4 Likes

I suppose for an SF story we could play either the admiral (who tend to be older) or a starship captain nearing retirement instead of the young hotshots sometime.

In addition this one: The Beast Within would have been just perfect a lighthearted game with cute gay princes (or lesbian princesses if that’s more your speed). Too bad it didn’t win. :sob:

1 Like

I didn’t know I needed this until now.

1 Like

I thought the author was still working on The Beast Within

horror, space

I would like more fairytale-inspired IFs.
More fantasy ones too.

I like historical settings too–like ancient China or ancient Egypt or an Inuyasha-like IF set in Feudal Japan…

2 Likes

1.For me modern detective like kidnapped prom queen this genre really unexplored by COG staff as far i know this genre only have one game and that kidnapped prom queen, i love the thrill when trying to find the truth and not to mention the modern setting make it more relatable

1. Mecha galactic fight like mecha ace, let’s be honest who don’t want to fly giant robot on galactic fight. This genre also have pretty small number of book

2. War inspired by real world technology coupled with with intrigue and complex characters like the infinity series. We all love that

I hope someday COG staff can make this two genre more available

3 Likes

CoG staff aren’t the ones who write the games, for the most part. They’re publishers. For CoG and Heart’s Choice games they work with authors to decide which projects to go ahead with, but they have no involvement whatsoever in the content of HG games. What people in this community write and submit is what they publish.

4 Likes