Way Walkers: University

@WayWalkerLeigh, @LaurenP Oh, I see what you two are getting at…yeah, I can see how that would make Genoa much less inclined to start something with someone else. That relationship has doomed written all over it however, even if the protagonist doesn’t personally expose it.

@P_Tigras exactly. i *could* have tried to do a romance dance around that given the obvious ignorant story lines of the main…but theres already repressions from knowing/not knowing, and trying to date Genoa on top of it…oy. As said, i’ve got to cull the branches where i can, or its gonna be years before i’m done. XD Though i like to think it wasnt quite so doomed…at least, in a later/alternate timeline…lol :wink:

at the begining when you`re making the choices about your character and then at the interview when you are asked which ability you are good at how do you get the choice that you are equally good at all

@TheKing It requires a high level in the Rosin, or ‘magical talent’ stat. Try being more curious about your visions in the earlier sets of choices :wink:

Just played.
One comment:
Semryu fan club, make it happen. :smiley:

No, really. This is the best CoG game I’ve played since ZE. I can’t wait for part 2. Worth every penny!

@WayWalkerLeigh Well it’s your world, so anything is possible. :wink: Nevertheless, for very understandable reasons, you’ve transferred a rather modern taboo into your world. Otherwise Master Wendell wouldn’t have felt the need to intervene in the way that he did, nor would the suspected relationship have been seen as quite so scandalous.

Under this set of circumstances, the odds are heavily against a relationship like this surviving the years of secrecy needed without one of the parties involved either making a mistake that leads to exposure and a devastating scandal, or getting sick of always having to sneak around, and finally finding a more satisfying relationship that he or she doesn’t have to hide from everyone, in the arms of another. Thus -both- of the individuals involved would need to be both extremely discreet, and extremely steadfast over the course of several years. They’d also need a little bit of luck. While unlikely, it’s certainly within the realm of the possible that both characters meet these requirements. So despite my belief that the odds are highly against them, that doesn’t mean it’s completely impossible for them to beat the odds. Unlikely things happen all the time in good stories. As the author, their personalities are in your hands, so you’re free to have them beat the odds if you feel that it both fits the personalities you’ve given them, and is what is best for the story.

In the real world, a hundred years ago this relationship really wouldn’t have been an issue as long as Genoa’s father consented. Neither the age differential nor the power differential would have raised an eyebrow in and of themselves. I recognize that even in the modern day many of us have, or have had, fantasies along these lines as teens, and history is filled with examples of such relationships that worked out happily. Nevertheless history is also filled with examples of such relationships that ended tragically, and enough abuse of power tragedies have occurred that social mores have shifted to the point where, today in several countries, the adult in a position of power would be facing a prison term if caught. That doesn’t mean social mores can’t shift yet again however. Who knows what will be taboo and won’t be taboo in another 100 years if fears of abuse begin to wane. Open cohabitation with a lover, having a child out of wedlock, being gay, and even premarital sex between consenting teens, are no longer the hugely scandalous societal taboos they once were.

@ P_Tigras —well said! I like to think in my world, the mortal conciseness has come a bit farther in many respects–the very concept of the First Law of freewill being the single most obvious. Of course, i also show again and again where this ideal has it’s failings, or rather, those that strive for it don’t always live up to it–much like the ebb and flow of modern life in general.

That all being said, I am a romantic at heart, and if you read through the fire-side ‘tales’ section, pick the option to tell a romantic story–and you’ll see there are times when even the most conservative of my world will bend for the sake of love. :wink:

At least, most times. XD

@CJW — he already has one, practically lol-- http://www.facebook.com/groups/216875918439365/

and thank you–the praise means a lot! :slight_smile:

@WayWalkerLeigh I managed to live! And be Montage and Red–and, I realized it’s easier to live than to pass history. That’s saying something xD

I just wanna say this is an awesome game, and I can’t wait for part two. :smiley:

@WayWalkerLeigh Don’t tell anyone, it would no doubt ruin my rep around here, but deep down I’m a romantic at heart too. :wink:

As far as Genoa is concerned, it will be interesting to see if she and/or her partner live up to the ideal, or if they falter in some future moment of weakness, some future moment of weakness that just might perhaps involve the player character… O:) *hides horns behind halo*

Hahahahaha…but really, I’m fine either way you go with her. I love your story btw, and look forward to reading a lot more of it. :slight_smile:

@P_Tigras I won’t tell. :wink:

i think the truly long-term of Genoa will remain a mystery, so that the reader can imagine their own scenarios. that doesn’t mean however, that a certain main character and a certain Clansman might not get involved somewhat in the interim… :smiley:

and thank you! i can’t tell u what a delight it’s been to talk to you about my little world in such an educated manner, really. The sequel will be a bit, sadly, simply because i am a perfectionist, but if you like my stuff, hit up www.waywalkersguide.com in the meanwhile–i’ve short stories linked there as well as my blog and updates on the *actual* novels. :slight_smile:

@WayWalkerLeigh

LOL! I’m as straight as an arrow, so I’d much rather play Sem than date him. I don’t begrudge you your interest in him however. He’s a wickedly fun scamp of a character.

And the pleasure has been mine darlin. It’s always fun to discuss thoughtfully written characters in interesting stories. :slight_smile: And regarding, the wait for the next instalment, I’ll quote Ecclesiastes, “To everything there is a season.”

*looks at the clock* Ok, your season has just started. You have 3 months, so get writing. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding!!! As something of a perfectionist myself, I would never dream of attempting to rush a kindred spirit. :smiley: When we try to rush excellence, we’re likely to end up with only sloppiness. I will however take the time to check out your web site in the next day or two to read some more of your work.

The demo, while short, lured me into buying the game, and I quite enjoyed it.

The characters were quite likeable, my first thoughts regarding the guardian spirit were that it ran the risk of being an overly bubbly morality leash, but I think it managed to pull of the “likeable guardian who only wants what’s best for the protagonist” role. Although it could use a bit more of a backbone, it always seemed to agree with my protagonist, although I’ve gotten through one playthrough so far so it could just be me. Jun was an absolute sweetheart, the slightest bit grating at first, but she grew on me quickly. Sem came across as a bit generic at first, but his roguish charm soon became charming for lack of a better word.

The prose was good, but it also contains my only significant problem with the game, in that at times the text can get REALLY dense, and oftentimes unecessarily. The walls of text, while mostly interesting, can get to the point where I would just skim read and get the general gist.

My only other complaint is that most of the peripheral characters are quite forgetable, I could not for the life of me remember who was teaching what and what significance they had, let alone their names, but that was probably a result of my skim reading.

The setting was well fleshed out and quite creative, if a bit confusing at times, but that was likely due again to my aformentioned skim reading, and the plot had lovely pacing, getting us comfortable with the setting and a routine before pulling the rug out from under us.

Overall, I found it was quite worth the price, and am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Hmm, my acquisition is presently delayed by my inability to get this damn Android emulator thingy working, so that I may play through this on my PC.

Just buy it from the Chrome Web Store?^

Ah, erm…oh. That would work. Bloody technophobia obscuring the obvious.

@P_Tigras lol i meant you and sem might get involved with Genoa’s drama–though yes, the option to date sem is also out there! lol And drop me a line on the site if u like the shorts. :wink:

@13ventrm —ah you discovered my biggest weakness in the game–writing! lol i’m a traditional novelist at heart, and i found it *very* difficult to skim-down the descriptions to better suit a text-based game (hence why i prefer to call it in interactive novel, 'cause that’s really more what it is–good god you should have seen the first drafts, this description is mild in comparison.) I’m glad you enjoyed it despite being more superfluous than your tastes–though i will say try to read a little deeper on the next run-through–a lot of those walls of text change according to the stats. (an insane idea of mine to actually get the ‘voice’ of the main to change according to personality–oy) :wink: And if you are still having trouble recalling who is who–there is a link to the digital glossary on the stats page-- it’s everyone in there alphabetically along with most foreign WW terms. :smiley:

As far as Angel–well, it’s personality *is* bubbly and happy! I wanted to make something that had never existed incarnate, and so, as it tells you in the beginning, it’s never felt pain or sorrow, or struggle, and our concepts of good and evil don’t really exist to it. It’s only purpose is to love you and support you no matter what you do, so it’s not going to argue with you much lol. This does create in some ways a ‘bland’ personality, but i think it’s an *accurate* personality for what it is–something just beyond our mortal understanding. :wink: Plus, personally, i find when the main character goes very selfish and cruel, Angel’s constant upbeat-ness makes for a kind of creepy cheerleader feeding inadvertently into the mania…which oddly, i find rather bemusing, but that could just be me. XD

@Drazen-- you and i are kindred spirits…ruddy computers. XD

@WayWalkerLeigh :">

BTW, Angel reminds me of the avatar concept from the old Mage:the Ascension game, except your avatar tried to guide you toward ascension/enlightenment, and wasn’t necessarily bubbly or always cheering you on. Of course the avatars of a Cultist of Ecstasy (think altered states of consciousness through recreational drug use) and an Akashic Brother (think meditative kung fu monks) would have very different approaches regarding ascending to a higher state…

Aside from the recurring bouts of academic cynicism I experience whenever the tale angles itself towards talk of freedom, spirit, and the 5 Laws (which appear to be the by-product of a meeting between Jeremy Bentham and a New Age libertarian guru), I must say this was well worth the buy. You appear to have a conceptual backdrop mapped out in some detail, - mentally or otherwise, - which adds a certain legitimacy to the setting; this has the twofold advantage of making the story itself more interesting and demonstrating that the author is not making it up as they go along (one should hope not, since, if I remember correctly, you stated this was not your first work in the series). Nevertheless, once entering the semester proper it struck me that your style of writing changed somewhat, although I cannot categorically state how. Perhaps the transition from back-story and lore-introduction to active character engagement procured a more comfortable setting.

There are but three criticisms I could raise.

First, your writing style appears to possess a pervading optimism; for the Angel this is part and parcel with their nature, but I find that when it manifests in interactions with other characters a certain melodramatic chirpiness is resultant, with the abundance of exclaimed remarks and their phraseology conjuring to mind innumerable images of overly-pleasant sounding Victorian schoolgirls, which, perhaps luckily, appears more akin to Mary Poppins than those twins from the Shining for the moment.

Second, there were a few occasions when the choices I felt most inclined to select were blurred out owing to previous decisions, although for the life of me I cannot see how my prior decisions would have rendered them unobtainable. 'Tis the ever present risk of denying possibilities.

Third, - though this barely counts as a criticism, - there were many cases of two words being amalgamated by an omitted space. This is not a problem with the work itself, but tends to distract pedantic eyes.

I look forward to reading the sequels, whenever they are released.