'Til Death Do us Part (SPOILERS!)

I haven’t gotten this yet (and it will probably be a while) but if you cannot conquer and annex Sahra I will be very disappointed. Putting an end to that sore spot on the frontier will mean no frittering away more lives and money, and allow the creation of an Iberian Empire that can focus on greater things.

@MaraJade I don’t know what to say. I am sorry for what happened to you (and I hope the perpetrator(s) were hung to prevent anything else happening), but I still believe you are going too far. For one, alleging that men “only consider penetration to be rape.” I am sorry, but at least some of us beg to differ, and even if you have run into fine bastards who think that, tossing us all with that allegation is an insult, and an indefensible one. So please limit your fire!

Secondly, yes it is a heinous scene and one that offhand sounds like it might have needed a better handling. But the idea that we should have a scene removed purely because people are uncomfortable with it does not sit well with me.

I’m damn sure that some people who have played this also found themselves in the manipulations of a very nasty piece of work and at their mercy (like with Tomas), or who have experienced tragedy from murder, intrigue, and backstabbing. My grandfather on Dad’s side was a Ranger in the Pacific, and some of the scenes in “Marine Raider” do not sit well with me; I can only imagine what he would think of it! And likewise, the local Fascist party probably tossed one of my great uncles onto the street by murdering his employer during the Great Depression (probably at the behest of the Italian consulate in the area). One of my Aunts was forced to act as a courier for the local blackshirts when she was very young in order to keep them from vandalizing our family’s business or worse, and it took her months to find an escape. I can still see how these things hit them hard.

And that is just with my relatives. I have more than a few bad experiences myself

But does that mean that I feel all media that covers oppression, totalitarian subversion, academic abuse, and murder should be verboten? In that case, we’d probably have to toss out huge swaths of the existing CoG library. From what I see from the game, it is not like it is romanticizing or excusing that action, to say the least. It’s a heinous action and treated as such, well above the player character’s own barbarities (since they are probably still a sympathetic character to players who are not sociopaths).

It’s not for everyone by a loooooonnng shot, but since when does fictional material have to be?

I know we’ve had our differences in the past, but I wish there was a way I could help you, even if we’re a quarter of the world apart. If there is anything I can do, do not hesitate to ask any of us or at least myself.

But I do think the subject matter itself can fit in CoR/'Til Death. Even if it is definitely not for everyone.

=========================

But on that note, Mara does have a point. This is a rather disturbing thing to say the least, and while CoR has gone there before, I imagine from this and the fact that it’s the climax that it is only more pronounced here. So perhaps adding in a disclaimer or even a “toggle” of some sort might help?

Again, there’s only so much I can tell from secondhand evidence, but from what I am hearing this is certainly dealing with ugly material. So it might be worth taking precautions.

@MaraJade I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you, please accept my condolences. I’m also a girl and hope I don’t have to face through your ordeal.

But I’m afraid that WAS necessary to bring out the bad character, see what this game has made you think? This mean that the game has successfully taking you to the story, you felt Violated. The game triggered your memories. You remember your past accident, by a game character, and you know that this is not the only game nor novel that has the similar plot. some of them even went through thousands word to tell you what have the rapist do one by one. And yet, this game chose to conceals it, well your trauma that has brought it as a bigger matter to you and I hope I can help you feel better.

Nonetheless, you wont need to face it if you chose not to marry Tomas, I found many other endings and path to not face that ending, nor scene. The game did proven to be another kinds of game of throne, anyway Karma pays back, Tomas is dead in the end, your son avenged you.

to tell you the truth, the scariest part for me wasn’t where my character was Violated, but when my family has to die and I can’t do any single thing about it, your family, whose have already been there since you were born, since you enter the court for the season the first time, I cant do anything for them, not even went to their graves, knowing the fact that i could have saved them and what, I can’t even weep for them in that scene. I was so scared myself after those scene happen so i just skipped the rest to the end where my son avenged me. :))

@Jemojaku

Ok, overall I agree on some level, but Quick Point I have to hammer home:

“You remember your past accident”

Rape. Is. Never. An. Accident. Period.

Beyond that, while I do think making the player feel “uncomfortable” is valid, even to this level… I do think some level of safety can also help. The fact that we can’t even flipping play a demo (because it’s not just for a for sale game, but one that you have to play through two prior games to play!) means that we are paying “blind”. Even more blind than we are normally.

So something popping up as messily as this means you have to handle it very carefully. Since people are paying money on faith. I do think the “violation” scene(s) can serve a very useful purpose, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be handled with caution.

@Turtler I don’t say the scene has to be removed totally like I say to a sugestion email I send to suport is not make it so blunty present and clear. The game don’t give a clue that something similar is going happen. So the shock was worse, and the touch is nasty could be changed for a phrase like You are in my complete power, like all kingdom if I want touch you or kill you I could. And you can’t defend yourself.
The touch is forced in all the scenes he touch your cheek lustfully in ALL plays, that’s what anoys me forced. The others need you marry Thomas but the touch is unavoid , always happen.

@Jemojaku if a nobel treat about rape and describe one I just don’t buy or read the book I wasn’t warned if I was warned probably never play it

@MaraJade @Turtler Well, actually guys, I kinda saw this coming… =="
you know from the first time, they did say Life Mage could perform Mind control, lets just call it Hypnosis, its forbidden nonetheless, just like Death Mage could do Death curse which is also forbidden…
I find it rather strange if the game doesn’t show us any Life Mage who would use it against us. Or it has in the previous that I didn’t notice, this again excludes Ramirez case and if we want to pin down Queen Ines or King Esteban we will bring that topic out to the king, anyway Ramirez event are avoidable. (haha, I tried playing all gender)

The first time Tomas did was in the cheek touching scene right? You can avoid that spooky touch from the step back option, right? But what I mean is, OMG people, you should have already read those motive everywhere… I definitely fixed my mind on how can I take this guy down before he do something horrible to me on my first play, and good thing my instinct was right, after a few times I’m ready to try the marrying Tomas option, and TA-DA~ everything went RollerCoasterOnBadDay.

anyway,that whats review are for, if this is a ‘book’, and if it have mature content warning and such, like violence and such they put it on the cover in terms of a ‘book’. Well, I still really think Tomas was suppose to be a good guy, maybe we just never actually has the chance to interact with that character. I thought he was like 10 or 11 in the beginning of the game… time flies so fast huh? :))

1 Like

@Jemojaku you are wrong you can’t avoided that choice is fake when you selected say you can’t and the touch happen in ALL.I don’t have aproblem with a Thomas being a psycho rapist my problem is the fact they bluntly show it and forced me to suffer his first attack with no choice to defend my self. When I buy it I don’t read a aware violent and sex +18 it only a madurity moderateit was in all serie games . That’s it

@MaraJade wait, are you talking about where he take your hand, or the cheek? I’m not making my self clear enough, the first time you came in contact with him is where he take your hand to hypnotize you right, that one is inescapable and i acknowledge it since my first post. I didn’t mean this scene, excuse the confusion.

What I mean by escape-able is where you don’t tell him anything, not a secret, after that he was attempting to touch the Main Character’s cheek and that was escape-able from the step back option. No?

And did I mention in my previous comment “if this is a ‘book’” which is not and I already acknowledge that as well, so it was meant to be just one of my rants.
I’m sorry, did I get you wrong miss MaraJade? I’m sorry my English suck, pardon me since its not my first language.

I felt some kind of way about some of the gender errors in the story. I guess since it sounds like a story that was written with the MC as a female rather than a male. I can appreciate that there was at least an effort to have a playthrough for both. I loved the story either way.

I couldn’t figure out how to get a happy ending at the end of the game. The furthest I got was killing Tomas and saving the queen. Then the queen turned on me after rumors were spreading and I was burned at the stake. I thought she loved me. -.-

1 Like

@EarnBoogie did you kill the previous king, or and Juanita or and meet Ramirez and have a Life Mage for a 2nd child?

@Jemojaku - I killed the previous king and married Juanita off to the Sahran prince. I’ve had a playthrough of a life mage 2nd child and not. The differences didn’t change by much.

@EarnBoogie by killing the king you wont get an ending with the Queen, you have to be really-reaaaaaly clean of any sin to get to that ending. No killing allowed, and the exception are between having a life mage son from ramirez potion or killing adelita, other than that you better not try to kill the royal family.

There’s an easy way to get a happy ending with the queen even if Juanita is out of the way, actually.

One of the options has to do with your rumored lover.

@MaraJade after a few gameplay, the only ending I achieve by marrying Tomas is this.

As planned, Tomás marries you shortly after the King’s death to cement his claim on the throne. Your wedding is a blur–not in the romantic sense of excitement and emotion overwhelming you, but because Tomás’s control over your mind leaves you unable to perceive much. You do retain a clear memory of his peck on your lips at the close of the ceremony, because that is the last time he touches you. Apparently he desires to possess you only for your symbolic and political importance, rather than for any carnal reason.

He does not rape you. Well if its in term Mind rape, then yes, but from the one I got, nope, its well written there that ‘that is the last time he touches you.’ , other than just a peck on the lips, nothing absurd happens on my gamethrough. And this is why I don’t really get your rape protest. Nonetheless, I’m just pointing out my thoughts, you can totally ignore this. :smiley:

@Jemojaku THat’s the new text Heather Albano hear my email and decide change it to even left any suggestion of rape away even the touch is avoidable with high magika. I’m very happy that my feedback was listened. They never pretended suggest nothing with the nightweedding so they put it away. The game is trully enjoyable for me now , and make game better for everyone. So people download new version right now.

@MaraJade oowh, so that’s why… haha, I’m glad you’re happy now… :smiley:

Here’s the details about our changes!

In the initial release of 'Til Death Do Us Part, it was not possible to step away from Tomas’s hand under any circumstances. Even if you had a Magic score high enough to stop him from forcing you to tell a secret. Even if you had the highest possible Magic score. According to one of you, even if you had a Magic score of 99. And that is, as many of you pointed out, just ridiculous.

We agree. We missed the “reasonableness” roll on that one. So we added some code - now a sufficiently high Magic score allows you step away from Tomas’s hand.

It was also brought to our attention that there is an implication Tomas uses mind-control to force non-consensual sex on your wedding night. That was absolutely not the intention of anyone on the writing team, but we totally see how you got that from the text. When we read over that scene and realized it could be interpreted that way, we were horrified. We added a few lines explaining that Tomas never touches you after you are married, that he wanted you only for the political benefits.

Tomas is supposed to be creepy, but 'Til Death Do Us Part is not supposed to squick out the players, only their characters. It can be difficult to balance “make this scene creepy” with “don’t genuinely upset the player,” and we really do appreciate the feedback from a bunch of you that told us we overshot.

The current latest version with these fixes is available on all platforms as of today, as well as fixes for a couple of other bugs discovered post-release.

Thanks for caring enough to send feedback, y’all.

• the Choice of Romance writing team

I was the person who complained that my character with a 99 magic score was helpless to stop Tomas’s mental violation and subsequent touch, when I seriously wanted to splatter him like a bug. I’m glad to hear this issue has been addressed.

And for those wondering, yes it is possible to get your magic score up to a 99.

I didn’t imagine anyone would be wondering, maxing out the scores attainable for most stats. Maxing out magic requires more use of the killing curse than I would like for the morality of my character, but I too went crazy magic just to defend against Tomas. And thank goodness we can step away from him now. I really want to call him a worm though… hahah

Can somone tell me what’s happend to the king’s wife if I did not marry the king?