Stupidly ambitious game development

How about a Fire Emblem style game: a turn based strategy involving dozens of characters (most of whom can be romanced with one another), with an overarching plot spanning an entire continent?

Obviously, non-straight romances will be far more prominent than in Fire Emblem, though.

I would imagine that the realism score would be somewhere south of zero for that one…

4 Likes

My Dragon Game, Scales&Tales.

The choice of five different dragon companions, that you raise from an egg, each with their own completely different personality. Each dragon has its own subplot and can learn one of two different sets of powers. Each dragon can like or dislike you.

The choice of six different romances, all of whom had their own story.

A twisty tangly knotted plot, starting off with why your fiance abandoned you at the altar and ran off to marry a Prince.

Plus you trying to find your own path in the world and decide what to do with your life.

IT WAS SO COMPLICATED!!! I thought it would be simple to write. The story itself is fairly short but NOOO!!! Five different dragons each reacting to every scene differently! PLUS SIX ROMANCES!!! Plus!!! AGHHH!!!

I still want to write it.

I didn’t realise how ambitious it was when I started. I was a fool!

17 Likes

My current Neverland-themed story with a friend that has 7 romances that will be full-fleshed and a two books length at the least. smacked

Jokes aside, something almost open world with Kingsglaive’s level of graphic, Bayonetta’s combat system, with guns and super moe main character/customisation, and the best ending has you as the supreme overlord of the world.

Just wait clenches fist once I conquer Square Enix, I will get Konami as well.

2 Likes

Ooh, I remember, that thing was awesome.

Well just chop it up write one dragon and one romance path at a time all the way through to the end.

3 Likes

I haven’t gotten into CS game development yet due to how daunting the source code looks, but when I do get into it, I have several ideas kicking around in my head.

• This is a world where magic technology coexist with one another, leading to startling advancements in every field. One institute was revered world-wide as the pinnacle of higher learning for those who wish to see this mingling of the arcane and contemporary. Sadly, this institute was involved in a massive explosion that has killed several hundred people and was officially dubbed as an accident. The reports indicate one person was not found among the bodies.
    That would be you.
    You wake up in a metallic room, and your whole body hurts. You phase in and out of consciousness, but you recall… people doing a procedure of some sort on you… gunfire… screaming… and strange feelings all over your body…
    When you come to, you find yourself in an empty field outside a city. You are about to stand and head to it, when you realize that you’re not exactly the same as before…

Your body is changing itself at a rapid and unpredictable rate, and you need to find out why. The player would have the opportunity to [discreetly] explore the city and find out if there are answers within. Over the course of the game you’ll meet various people of factional affiliations who are interested in your “condition” and would like to examine/have you join them in order to help their cause, if you so choose. Loosely inspired by an amalgam of Geneforge, Crackdown, Deus Ex, and a few other things.

• You are an aspiring politician who has the opportunity to run for a position in the government. As you continue on and develop your resume, you’ll have opportunities to win more and more elections, climbing up the governmental ladder, and eventually heading into the role of Head of State (or whatever your country’s equivalent title is.)

I really, REALLY like the idea of making a CS game about being a politician, but sadly all the WIPs I’ve seen that are similar are either dead or never gotten off the ground. I’d want to see what it’s like running a position (or eventually a country) in a governmental position, but it can be pretty overwhelming if you think about it. Do I, as the developer, choose to have a made-up country (and thus have to come up with relevant laws from scratch), or use real-world countries that can have some pretty arcane laws under their belt? Do I try and follow it realistically or have players able to do more? It’s pretty huge. Still, the demo that inspired me is still up, and is really well done in my opinion.

• You are an all-powerful magician, you rule the lands with absolute authority, and you must make decisions regarding the populace that is under your control. You can choose to be a benevolent ruler, where your decisions as a whole benefit the populace and they’re happy. OR decide to be a totalitarian dictator where the people live subjugated, terrified, and resentful of your rule.
    There’s a twist, though: Your powers get stronger or weaker based on whether people BELIEVE you are strong and powerful. If you’re too benevolent, people may think that you’re a pushover and demand to hand over concessions to them, and if you’re too totalitarian, people will rise up and demand that you leave the realm, no longer caring about the threat you pose to them. The populace is unaware of this little fact, however, so you must make sure that you can balance yourself and make hard decisions during your reign.

This just came to me an hour or so ago. I thought “power is based on people believing in strength” and I rolled with it. Looking at it on paper sounds really appealing, and I may even decide to give a shot at it someday.

That’s all, I guess. Cheers for all the bright ideas on this thread, folks! :yum:

11 Likes

Oooh, okay, stupidly ambitious game development? I’ve got a plethora of those, but the most difficult (and the one I want to do the most) would have to be this story I’ve had in my head for a long time.

You play as an amnesiac mercenary working under a group called the “Handymen” in a relatively peaceful kingdom… except for when a bloody coup d’etat is put into place and your group is slaughtered while under hire to protect either the prince/princess while the royal guard tries and fails to take back the throne. In an attempt to revive whoever you would’ve been closest with at that time when they’re killed in the attack, you take on the Cassandra-like curse of this seeress and lose your eyesight to become the next seer yourself.

Relatively simple, right?

Except no, because that’s when the story diverges into way too many variations including, but not limited to: the option to become a god, the option to go and train with a group of spiritual warriors, the option to travel with a band of performers, start a revolution, get captured by an evil king, turn said evil king good or become the puppet master and make him your puppet ruler, join an ongoing revolution, become an assassain, become the most powerful sorcerer/ess in all the land, go insane and attempt to fight your way through the everlasting insanity, die and take over hell, or just escape from hell, hell- you could even marry the Death themself if that’s your style, join a mountain tribe, guide said mountain tribe in the midst of civil war, and so on.

Not to mention the romances. There’s about as many romances as there are plot lines.

Needless to say, if I ever did get to write this game, I’d have to cut out most of it or just turn it into a series.

5 Likes

I want to create a combat system that involves both stats and decision making. Striking a balance between the two so that even if you’re lacking in stats you can still fight and win a battle (although not as easily) by making good decisions, or you can lose a battle despite having OP stats by making constant stupid decisions (Why aim left when the enemy is on your right?) That kind of thing.

7 Likes

Stupidly ambitious… stupidly ambitious… hmmmm. Well, I want to make a game that can account for every single choice a PC could possibly make, a game where the PC’s choices matter in an infinitely complex way. Past choices affect present choices that affect future choices. Right now it feels as if games can only offer the illusion of choice. The frustrating thing about making a game is realizing your limits. There always comes a moment where I feel obligated to railroad the PC onto some sort of set path. I always feel like I can only allow the game to branch so much before I have to start consolidating in order to get any progress done at all.

I suppose I could help this issue if I had a big team and a lot of money, but that would probably help anything mentioned in this thread.

11 Likes

I, like many, have tried and failed to create an RPG in choice script.

3 Likes

Umm, guys, I did make an RPG with CS. Towergirls: CS edition, anyone remember?

4 Likes

There’s also @AlexCosarca’s Red Moon I: Rise and Conquer - A neverending medieval RPG

4 Likes

coughlike Terminal? cough

1 Like

Time to learn programming language!

I’m trying! :sob: Lmao.

The closest thing that you are thinking I can tell you right now that ever came into existence was the Fable and Game book series. Would you can play all the one source forge for its by the way. It was insanely ambitious and close to 30 year Hiatus the seven books coming out. It was pretty much the gaming board look equivalent of Elder Scrolls every game book was a part of the world and they were all interconnected. Literally if you did one thing and one game but it could affect the outcome of the other or the landscape. so each game book was a section or continent I don’t like going on one Grand Adventure but the world we have complete because they only had 6 books released are supposed to 12. Look it up my friend amazing and this should be a great source of inspiration.
Another thing they done incredibly well with each area of the world has a very different flavor and feel. Which give strange interesting wonderful lore!

3 Likes

I want to buy more games like Choice of Robots and Tin Star even though they took a lot of heart and effort to make and you only get games like those like once in a blue moon.

I want to play a game where your choices cause non-linear branching and where story and characters change long-term because of the decisions you make.

7 Likes

I try make a game about ant colony life. Made it choose if player want play as the feature queen ant, worker ant, maid ant, soldier ant, scout ant, sacrificial ant (males that die for the queen). It sound simple in my head and when I try code, became a mezz. Way ambitious for my first attempt. Had plan make it open world and have death traps, but it was hard to make happen :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Well finish your Beauty and the Beast retelling and I will love you forever :heart:

1 Like

Terminal? What is Terminal you speak of? :confused:

3 Likes

Hmm maybe it was terminus? That one with fading text

3 Likes