Stupidly ambitious game development

That sounds amazing :wink:

2 Likes

It was most certainly… :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah! Terminal: The Game Without an End. It would have been awesome. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

OH!

Terminal: A Tale About an End

That old chestnut. I haven’t forgotten about it, I’ve just been incredibly distracted with CSIDE. One day… Maybe I’ll drop some of the flair though :confused:

5 Likes

No, I’m sure it’s

Terminal: A Tale WITHOUT an End currently. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

A Sci-fi game with 6 vastly different playable races and I mean different anatomy, culture, religion, planet, backstory, possible romances everything problem is I’d basically have to write the same story 6 times with variations both small and large for the different races and just keeping it all straight in my head would probably give me a massive headache let alone actually trying to write it.

Edit: There was going to be a reptilian race, a furry race, a race of people with horns, a race of basically Gollums, a shape-shifting race and a race that would literally be snakes inside human sized robots.

5 Likes

Science-based dragon text adventure MMO
/s

1 Like

That’d be possible with ChoiceScript, just incredibly tedious. It sounds like a great idea though – Do you want snakes in robots to mayyybe see the light of day in an overly ambitious fantasy game instead?

You offering? cause I’m totally cool with that as long as you don’t mind that I might use it in a less ambitious game down the line.

Open world text adventure? Hm…

turn left 42 degrees, go forward 11.32 m

and then

look around

which produces 10000 lines of text with the description of environment.

1 Like

But I love that stuff… It’s like 86% of the reason I wanted to make one :smirk:

1 Like

Hmm. How about a game with five different playable species (each with its own powers, goals, family life, etc.), six ROs minimum for each, the possibility of polyamory, selectable gender/orientatiation/gender presentation that goes more than skin deep, and the ability to develop your personality in whichever direction you choose? Also mysteries, threats to life and safety, and assorted drama.

When I have all the plates spinning at once it’s magical. When I lose the rhythm it just seems ridiculous. Then I have to remind myself “You’re the one who came up with it. It made sense at the time. Breathe, damn it.”

I should’ve known I was in trouble when I played Tin Star and thought “I want to make a game like THAT!”

16 Likes

But if you somehow manage to pull it off it’ll be awesome :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I guess the Nebula was my stupidly ambitious project… Trying to create an open world with lots of planets to explore, while still giving players a mission to complete… Might get back to it once my other two WIPs are finished (a side of me thinks I’ll never finish it…)

1 Like

Just seeing this now, and thinking about the OP… actually… I think that would be possible. In a manner of speaking. If you were to create both a location based scene array, and time progression, you could have NPCs follow a certain scedule of ‘where they are at what time’. Even if you just break it down into being able to visit one location per in-game ‘day’, rather than hour, or whatnot.

Procedural generation is possible with CS. I’ve done some- the MC’s ward creation in the raising sim project I’ve got set on the backburner. - The code is visible to the public. Virtually any proceedurally generated content is -possible-… just not practical. Someone could, for example, create an algorithmic game system script within CS that could then be copy/pasted and used by an author to create a game with it, in a ‘mods’ sort of way. Like, for example, a script which randomizes NPC appearance and/or name and/or gender, then ‘slots’ the randomized NPC into the story in a specific role. Kindof like choosing a random actor for a certain part in a play/movie. The same thing could be done for combat- for example, creating a script which allows an author to choose what weapons are being used by both individuals, and some basic stats for each like strength and skill and endurance, and then play out a fight scene script based on these, even potentially allowing choices within the fight. - It also should be relatively easy (in a time consuming way) to create a CS poker-game script. Or Blackjack. Something I have every confidence I could do if I had enough time and ambition (though I’d rather work on my story).

Something which, on that note, is ridiculously ambitious on its own. I recently checked the word count in Word… and chapters 1 and 2 with all the script included, not counting the end or stats, is 396,000 words. The longest book in the Wheel of Time series is 393,000 words. And I’m not even done with chapter 2… out of 10. I realized, learning this, that I’m actually writing an epic saga, with my CS story. And I’m still constantly editing and trying to improve on what I’ve got.

But what I think would be a fun, ambitious little project, I may try as my CScomp entry next year. Depends on the theme, of course- but alas, I can’t talk about it for that reason.

: ) I love ambition, when it comes to CS. I really do. Even though too many ambitious ideas fade away before getting finished. I still love them, and applaud the people who undertake them. I think of stories like Tinstar and the Infinity series and go “I want to make a game like that”- and …I am. In my own way. Even though I can’t get away from some railroading, I still have a game where choices really -actually- matter, and diverge content, even if it all follows a common chain. I know I’m going to feel really, -reeeeally- good about myself when I finally finish- probably four years or more down the road. XD But still! I love the big games, the ones with heart and soul poured in. So… that’s what I want to do, too- that’s the kind of game I want to make. :smiley:

8 Likes

I have actually done this, but only on a small, building sized scale. The aim was to walk around a party/ball talking to people, but they could move rooms per “turn” or based your actions/events. It can work quite well. I’m not convinced it would scale well to a town/world size in CS though.

5 Likes

Ah, sure it could. It’s just based on number of locations. For example, if you only have five locations in a city- say, ‘Royal Palace, Guard Barracks, Market, Slums, and Guild Hall’… you don’t have a difficult task moving NPCs around between them or even making them dissappear from all of them at certain times. You could even give some NPCs habits like always going to the market at midday on Saturdays. Or what-have-you. If, on the other hand, you made a hundred different locations for a city… or multiple locations -within- locations… yeah, that’s only scaleable so far until the whole thing gets ridiculously over-complex. :\ In simplistic form, though, I think it’s a really plausible idea and I’d like to see more of it, or more games using time/location style choice bases. Considering I… don’t really think I’ve seen any… even though I know it’s possible. XD Although the second zombie exodus game seems to be trying that -sorta-.

2 Likes

I think @AllenGies’s Shadow Horror had an open floorplan, a timer, and varied events depending on time and location. A fun, different sort of game; I liked it a lot, especially the exploring section.

5 Likes

I… actually haven’t played that one properly. I mean… I tried. But the game couldn’t taunt, cajole, bribe, or force me to go into the creepy house. So I never went in. XD

4 Likes

I wondering if anyone ever attempted to make game like sim city 4. The player god and making people and other stuff. Think that could pazz as complex game? :sweat_smile:

1 Like