October's Writer Support Thread

Me too, finally i have a bit of free time to start working in my game.

4 Likes

Kind of had a not-so-great nightā€¦ Iā€™m sitting in bed, doing my writing, everythingā€™s going good, then like 10 minutes ago I hear a dog barking, look out my window and see my gf (she lives next door, pretty great right?) Sheā€™s with a dude I know from school, who kisses her, then they go inside. Well. Bummer. I think Iā€™ll postpone writing till tomorrow nightā€¦

8 Likes

If you want to vent, you can head over here. Weā€™ll lend you an ear (or an eye in this case).

5 Likes

I read this thinking it was a subplot of a Playable Character point of view. :no_mouth:

Sorry to hear it, hope everything turns out okay.

To the extent that something like that can turn out okay.

I have a feeling this isnā€™t going to be a good month. Itā€™s only just getting started and Iā€™m hitting a low point for the past few months, so writingā€™s gonna be tough

4 Likes

I understand that I am about to stop writing my game jam, as I feel really pressured about it. I am supposed to do a good job with it because I was the one proposing it. But the truth is I am really scared of failure and people judging me.

10 Likes

Judge them right back. :wink: :tea:

6 Likes

Donā€™t you dare :smiley: To paraphrase your own words Just remember we are doing it for funā€¦itā€™s not a contestā€¦it is just a way for us to get our toes wet in that deep ocean of writingā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been having constant doubts because I also donā€™t feel like what Iā€™m doing is worth anything, but Iā€™m trying to look past it and do something Iā€™ll be happy with in the end even if its absolute crap. This is coming from someone that constantly seeks the approval of others.

At this point in time, Iā€™m not about to stop because I feel like it would pale in comparison to what everyone else does, but Iā€™m doing it so I can say that I at least tried. Even if it means that only my close friends and I would be able to experience the burning somehow cohesive mess I put out. But Iā€™d still be proud of what I made. Despite having to restart from scratch about 5 times

11 Likes

Look we all in this together. I feel the same way most of the time. But I will assure you that at least in my Jam nobody will judge you or think bad of others. We are all in this together even when we feel down.

7 Likes

If one person goes down, we all might as well go down together

7 Likes

There is enough space on the life boat! (or enough floating doors from the Titanic) :laughing:

4 Likes

What a way to go :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ok this one is not fiction writing related but I wanted to share it.
Yesterday evening I spoke to my supervisor profesor for my thesisā€¦ and now I feel Iā€™m ready to charge in my thesis like a bull.
Sometimes the better inspiration come from speaking to the right people.

8 Likes

You are doing great already. People is engaged and learning, which was the point.

Sure, some people like me are stressed by work and might not finish in time. But we tried. And the people who finish, would have achieved something.

What you need is some people you trust that are on your team to test or read what you have. Some fans telling you that you are doing great and keep going. The result doesnā€™t need to be perfect or the best to be worthy.

It is good that you have high expectations for your own work, but donā€™t let that sabotage you.

4 Likes

Thanks for your kind words. Now I will start to write a very controversial scene, I was very scared to include as I know some people will complain. But Well, after all, It is my story to tell. This song in 1964 sang with Gloria Jones will be key to the scene.

5 Likes

Meh, donā€™t worry. Anything anyone does, receives hate or dislikes. Just write what you want and like.

3 Likes

I know that but taking account the discrimination threads I am basically writing all I am not supposed to write because I am a Hispanic cis het girl.
So the description of a police attack to an activists pro gays and pro-civil rights movement in a dystopian 1964 Detroit clubā€¦ It will angry people. Even if I left clear that is an alternative America

6 Likes

If you want, we can try something that we do on karate. We usually make pairs to train together. So you help as ā€œukeā€ in your partner examen, and the other help you as your ā€œukeā€. And since there is other person that works with you, that usually push you to not miss practice (useful for lady people like me :joy:).

Translated to writing, it might mean to beta test and answer coding question or making suggestions when the other is stuck. Or just listening.

While Iā€™m unreliable because my work schedule, Iā€™m whilling to help if I can.

4 Likes