October's Writer Support Thread

Welcome all to the support thread for October.

:spiral_calendar:

:jack_o_lantern:

Regrouping from an unexpected hard September, my goal for October is to concentrate on one project; specifically finishing the rewrite of the ā€œOriginsā€ and Introduction.

My stretch goal is to write chapter two for this project.

Once again, I hope the first day of the month is treating everyone well.

Edit:

Remember to send your virtual high-fives to @HannahPS ā€¦ she is quite the awards winner this year!
:champagne:
:1st_place_medal:

Here is where you can find the lowdown ā€¦

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/creme-de-la-creme-ties-for-best-game-of-the-year-in-the-xyzzy-awards/87150

Well done Hannah!

32 Likes

Happy October to everyone My goal is finishing my game for the Halloween jam. I wish luck in your goals. WE CAN DO IT!

16 Likes

Same as Mara, I would like to finish my game by the end of October and who knows if it is more than 30, 000 words per playthrough, I could even submit it :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Unlike you guys, I am not writing a game. Instead Iā€™m focusing on this novel of mine and by October I plan to write and finish 2 chapters for it. Also I need to spend my time doing research with my countryā€™s mythology, magic systems, worldbuilding and also my countryā€™s history.

15 Likes

Novel or game the important is writing about something we are passionate about. We are all writers here :hugs: Luck with your Lore plans.

11 Likes

I finally feel like I am ready to rejoin this thread. Iā€™ve done virtually no writing since I put out the demo for League of Lunacy in April and it proved to be a dud. Had a long time off from it, enjoyed some old addictions, but now itā€™s time to get back to it. My goal for this month will probably be something small, like 5,000 words. Try to ramp up a bit at a time.

13 Likes

Goal: finish Chapter 1, start on Chapter 2. I want to post a WIP thread after Iā€™ve finished 2, so Iā€™m eager to get to that point quickly, and it seems to be going well so far. We shall seeā€¦

11 Likes

Goal for the whole month: Finish my halloween WIP.

Goal for today and tomorrow: Get all the placeholders in chapter 1-2 replaced with actual text, so I have a small demo to show people, to get some feedback.

Congratulations everyone on your progress last month, and @HannahPS for the amazing reward haul!

11 Likes

Oh god, itā€™s already October!? My goal is to:

1. Finalize the prologue of my side WIP (Iā€™m so close!) and continue Chapter One.
  2. Finish my game for the Halloween Game Jam and make sure it doesnā€™t suck so much.
10 Likes

You can start a choicescript help thread for the specific issue you are having or just PM me lol I will help the best of my knowledge. Keep on writing.

3 Likes

Holy shit, itā€™s October already !

After spending a while not writing due to my computer breaking, I updated my WIP this week :sunglasses: About 85-90% of its second chapter is done. My goal for October is finishing that second chapter (shouldnā€™t be hard) and finally dusting off my first WIP lol Iā€™ve been avoiding it because I know Iā€™ll have to get back into outlining and I hateeee that, butā€¦itā€™s time :pensive:

10 Likes

I will keep this short and to the point.

Letā€™s gooooooo~~

6 Likes

I found my own (small) reader group.
I made a deal with them:
One text per week of any nature (Lore, chapter, tale etc.) in exchange of their feedbacks

6 Likes

My goal:

• 30,000 words (One average I wrote about 900 words a day last month, so I hope to kick it up a little)
  • Finish Chapter 2!

Good luck on your goals everyone! Remember: Be excellent, and party on!

7 Likes

Goals for October:

• Complete a game in Twine.
  • Fix my sleep schedule.
  • Take a god damn break.
11 Likes

I literally just have to write a single question and reaction, then chapter 1 is done.

Why is it so difficult to write the PC being mean?!

12 Likes

Because the PC is played by a real person, and those tend to have vastly different ways to be mean, which also differ depending on which NPC theyā€™re being mean to and the reason why theyā€™re being mean?

6 Likes

It feels like it turned September just yesterday. Perhaps 2020 is speedrunning rest of its days to give us an early reprive?

Unfortunately, I wonā€™t be able to join this month due to college starting up and a lack of ideas, but I wish everyone here good luck with their projects.

Iā€™ve no idea, but I can relate. Goody-Two-Shoes PCs are far easier to write than mean PCs.

10 Likes

October already! :fallen_leaf: Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™ve been lurking on these past Writerā€™s Support threads and I think itā€™s time I finally join in.

My goals for this October, my favorite month of the year:

• Finish writing chapter 9 of my WIP. Itā€™s at 36k words at the moment, and I havenā€™t quite reached the middle yet.

• Go back and polish the available demo so I can post the final public version. This is mostly bug and typo fixes, but I do have some choices I need to expand and a couple of scenes to re-rewrite. Plus, Iā€™ll try to add an inventory system. Fingers crossed I manage to make it functional. :crossed_fingers:

• This last goal is maybe wishful thinking, but I also want to edit and finish coding chapters 7,8 and 9 of my WIP so I can send the private link to my beta testers! This will be the first time not making a public update but instead getting feedback from a small, focused group. And I am nervous! These are big chapters so I doubt Iā€™ll actually manage to code them all in October, but again, one can hope.

Thatā€™s it! Wish everyone a great and creative month. :orange_heart:

24 Likes

Same as Mara and others, my aim for this month is to try and finish my Halloween Jam project. Iā€™m way behind due to work and personal commitmentsā€¦as in Iā€™m still on chapter 1 levels of behind. I had the realisation last week I have no idea how to code this so Iā€™ll also be teaching myself how to use Twine. I want to learn Choice Script, so Iā€™ve decided once the project is done I can try converting it into CS as a means of learning the ropes.

Itā€™ll be a busy month but if I donā€™t finish in time, at least Iā€™ve learned new things!

8 Likes