Monsters of New Haven High - last update 4/02

That doesn’t really counter my point. We often eat things we dislike. It’s entirely possible that for some 'cubi, sex is the equivalent of a quinoa salad.

1 Like

Well, if you’d like to mention some of the ‘damn good reasons’ instead of losing your shit and ignoring my arguments, be my guest.

No, I don’t want to delay the game. But I’d like it to be a more enjoyable experience than it currently is. Throwing a tantrum in response to constructive criticism isn’t really going to help the developer any.

4 Likes

Okay look, I really just get pissed about something when I think it is retarded, but be my guest to try changing my mind. And plus, either way we both know she won’t change it. Especially if it’s been said before. And I’m sorry about my anger coming but really? Saying I’m throwing a tantrum? If I were having a bad day that post would have way worse okay?

2 Likes

I quiver with fear.

Still. As you say, @Sashira doesn’t seem likely to alter any of this, so there doesn’t seem to be a point in trying to change her mind. I had hoped otherwise; more fool me.

Let’s agree to disagree before this gets any uglier.

1 Like

I agree with the fact that a Wendigo shouldn’t be constricted to just Native American however I don’t really see why it matters what race you play as it does nothing to hinder your experience unless for some reason you dislike playing as a Native American character.

Personally I enjoyed it either way and didn’t find it irritating but I guess everybody’s different :smile_cat:

6 Likes

Alright then. We cool?

1 Like

As cool as an ocean breeze.

2 Likes

Good to know. And I really am sorry. I just suck at controlling my anger and not getting pissed off. Don’t take it personally, I flip out on almost everyone. Sorry again. :confused:

2 Likes

It’s fine. I think I should’ve controlled my anger better, as well.

1 Like

I agree about enjoying the game but if you look back in his post he says the wendigo SHOULD be Native American because a wendigo is literally a Native American spirit anyway so if it was anything else, well, that would just be confusing really.

This is just my opinion but I don’t think that’s racelocking. Those are just suggestions to name your character. I forget but can only native Americans be Wendigos in the game? If so then that’s racelocking.

2 Likes

If that’s true then the spirit is Native American not the body itself. I’ve seen movies where the person is not Native American but the spirit inhabiting them is and that’s how they turn into a wendigo.

That’s not what I meant I meant if you see the history of it it is.

Just google wendigo.

The Wendigo character is explicitly stated to have been a pre-Columbian Native American before his transformation, yes.

It’s my understanding that in LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) there’s a Beorning race and class, but you can only be the Beorning class if you’ve chosen Beorning as a race.

Beorning is supposed to be a relatively new race/class, so who knows if it’s overpowered compared to the other classes? I don’t currently play LOTRO.

(this brings me to my point…)

So if you can only be a Wendigo by being Native American, does that mean this combo should be overpowered in comparison to the other combos? It’s a matter of game design philosophy.

But my other point is that there are games out there that do have certain combos racelocked and others not so much.

None of the other monsters have race as a factor–I think the Wendigo racelocking is mostly out of respect to Native American culture, that has been historically not treated well. The other monsters have different provided/suggested names, but the race of the characters isn’t stated and it’s just left up to the player.

So it’s not really that Wendigo and Native American is like, a combo that can be compared to other combos, it’s just part of the given history of the character.

14 Likes

Ok then I agree that’s the only racelocking that I see. Otherwise the names for the various MC names are just names associated with the specific monster.

1 Like

This isn’t racelocking, since you can name the monsters whatever you want.

My vampire is Asian. But her first name is English and only her surname is Chinese, since this is in the end, set in America. Most East Asians who grew up here have WASPy first names.

2 Likes

Yes, but some people do take the George Bush route with broccoli - I think its a matter of necessity vs luxury here.

With regard to this: the European myths is far different then the East Asian versions, so much that I view them entirely different races. (the differences between different regions of Europe could even be seen as this but that is another argument for another post) All of the European myths, from ancient Byzantine tales 3,000 years old to the Victorian Age/Modern Dracula stories do share some common threads - which is why I assume @Sashira broke her names down the way she did.

I know this because I am in the midst of my own Vampire project and have been doing extensive research into many of these stories, myths, semi-historical tales and modern day tall-tales told in American urban cities today.

With regards to this, I’m pretty sure @Sashira has based her version on the Celtic myths. I don’t know the others outside of Celtic or Norse myths but if I were a betting person (outside of Texas Hold’Em) I’d bet there are signifigant differences in the versions of goblins these two cultures bring to us.

Perhaps, in the follow-up story, after we graduate the high school and we go to college or University, we will be able to experience monsters such as these you point out. I know that for many people going to Uni is such a growing experience.

Now, given that this might be unsatisfactory, no matter the truth-of-the-matter, @Sashira does provide us the ultimate key in unlocking the name and that is the ability to name our monster. I know that I choose a Greek name for my vampire because the Greek myth is far from the “Victorian Dracula” myth most of us are so familiar with.

Anyways,

@Sashira - thanks for updating the public thread.

6 Likes