Halloween Game Jam

Is there an optimal layout for a story? I have no clue how to properly sort a story on choicescript. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I am about to drop out my game is pure garbage and I am really sad and depressed.

4 Likes

Time to take a break from writing. :tea: Time for re-reading of the literature that inspired you. :books:

6 Likes

It’s pretty readable. Just needs a bit of editing afterwards.

2 Likes

You said this to me the other day when I was in a bit of a funk. And I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite as I’m unsure if I’ll have a lot done in time for the deadline. But you’ve organised the jam, so you must have wanted to write and get others into it, and I know everyone here would want you to submit your work. :grin:

8 Likes

Of course, I want but I don’t want deception anyone. For me is the extra pressure of being the Host. I am not sure If I can be the Host This forum deserves. I am not cool like others, I am just a grumpy stubborn Spaniard.

2 Likes

I have the same feeling from time to time. But I’m going to be anoying and paraphrase you from some post above: “fail is part of the process and finish something, gives you a sense of achivement”

We can do it and we are going to do it. Both. We don’t need to be perfect. We don’t need to do something professional the first time. We need to have fun and learn.

Also, I’m sure it is better than you think (or what I have now :joy:).

Serously, take care, disconnect, have some fun with family and friends. When you feel better, try again.

And yes, you can call me hypocrite, because I don’t always follow this advice and feel down, and do nothing or very little done. But I know it would be better days. So we need to not give up.

You are doing great, don’t let your brain tell you otherwise.

10 Likes

I’ve definitely contemplated dropping out multiple times. I’m extremely scared to submit my story, especially when it comes to not living up to expectations.

But this process is something to be taken one step at a time. We do what we can to the best of our ability. And instead of improving independently, we can do it together through this jam by offering each other support. I said before that if one of us goes down, then we go down together.

It’s not expected to be perfect, nothing will ever be perfect and how I’ve had trouble accepting that over the years. I still can’t get over it, but with this Jam I’m trying to. And I’m grateful that I have the opportunity to participate and shove my own expectations for myself to the side and simply have fun.

Take as much time away from the jam as you need. Even if you submit the story late, I’ll be waiting to read it with open arms.

9 Likes

You are right about that, you are a grumpy stubborn Spaniard, and we love you just the way you are… so don’t you go changing on us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I feel better, thanks for the support. I know that It should be the other way around. But When I say that I am in the same position and with same problems everyone else, I mean it. We are here all to improve me included and we are all afraid, I included. The only thing that we can do is keep being stubborn. Because I love to write.

And we will feel better about everything once we end our projects.

I swear I will try my best to be the best host and be more supportive.

9 Likes

@Autumn19 As far as I’m aware of, there isn’t any strict guidelines regarding this. You can (and frankly, if you’ve a linear story of sorts, should) use *scene_list to sort the files (and thus in that sense, sort out the ‘chapters’ in your story), but that’s about it. You can otherwise use *goto_scene and *gosub_scene to just hop around from one file to another part for a valid reason…or just for giggles.

As always, the CoG Guideline Document immensely helps in this regard.

@poison_mara Just 11 more days, you can do it.

8 Likes

Haha, I forget how all these commands work, looks like I need to go back over the tutorial again. That’s gonna be a pain. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Lopez… Like Jennifer Lopez :slightly_smiling_face:

@Autumn19 thanks…

@poison_mara I would like to read your story, so don’t drop out🎃

11 days…the deadline scares Me

6 Likes

Haha. I made this mistake of looking at my word count, which made me come to the epic conclusion that my story will be extremely short.

I’m just going to do myself a favour and forget that the deadline exists so I don’t stress myself out whenever the days go by.

4 Likes

Now that you wrote it down lol it scares me more…I think mine is just going to be a rough draft with rush scenes and interrupted dialogue, thanks to this Jam I find a story that I like to write and I would def continue to work on it after the Jam is done… So let’s keep at it people :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

This Jam definitely sparked a story idea inside me, which I’m going to be working on after the Jam is done. Which is one of the reasons I’m grateful for this. It definitely jump started my “creative” flow.

9 Likes

I was thinking something similar, even if I can’t submit stuff, I’m going to work on something not horror related afterwards when I can stop procrastinating that is. Maybe it will be a serious WIP (doubt it :sweat_smile:)

7 Likes

Too late, already invested

6 Likes

Yeah, my bad. Thanks for pointing it out :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I haven’t even told you what it’s about yet! :grin:

6 Likes