Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Not that I can see.

1 Like

Look for the version. Once itā€™s been updated youā€™ll likely see the number tick upwards one. (Or you can see if it has been updated recently on your phone if youā€™re using the app version.)

1 Like

Beta testers are being lazyā€¦ players are being more productive.

I usually do a CoG/HG once or twice before I look at the code to understand what I can do better, so I wonā€™t need a guide :slight_smile: but I just think my stats are too low, I tried to focus on strenght because the gods decided I should be a gaullic peasant and that seemed like the smart thing to do, but on most stat checks I was just under the required numbersā€¦
This is still an enjoyable HG but yeah on some moments I felt a bit weak :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m encountering a few mistakes, which made the game a bit badā€¦

The first fight in the colloseum. I tried to take the spear to throw it. Even with a 53% agility it showed Stat check <=50 and I failedā€¦ bit frustrating.

And now, after I ordered everyone to attack the elephant from all directions, the game crashed and canā€™t be reopen again. Guess I have to download it and reinstall which makes will erase everything that I have done so far. And thaaaat is extremely frustratingā€¦

Anyone else encountered similar issues?

But other than that, I really like the game. It is well written and extremely difficult but also rewarding.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for playing the game and reporting the bugs! I really appreciate you taking the time to do so :smile: Also very glad that you enjoyed the game despite the difficulty!

I believe the elephant bug is fixed - you just need to update your game. The stat check has also been fixed (it was a typo), but I think HG has yet to get the patch up (itā€™s still weekend PST - so it shld be out soonish!!!

So incredibly sorry for the frustration caused!!! I can imagine how annoying it must be to encounter these errors :confused: (also, a save point patch is coming out so look out for that as well!) Will keep everyone updated when the patches are released! :smile:

1 Like

@Jacic
Thatā€™s a great tip! I imagine that HG is out for the weekend, so hopefully the patch goes up sooner rather than laterā€¦ the ā€œneeds save pointsā€ reviews are killing the game rating :confused: Lesson well and truly learnt hahaha

@Sailendranath_Murmu
I would have to disagree with you on this. Itā€™s definitely not easy to catch every bug out there, and I can assure you that the game would be in shambles if not for the beta testers! Itā€™s unfortunate that we didnā€™t catch these before publishing the game, but that fault, if anything, should lie with me and no one else. I hope you understand!

@LeBaloo
Ahh yes being a peasant is definitely playing the game on extremely hard modeā€¦ so you might have to be sneaky about things. The game is also very practical (sorry to all the idealists out there), so keep that in mind when making decisions! Sometimes the noblest decisions might not be the most prudent ones. Thank you so much for playing though! I truly appreciate it a lot :smile:

3 Likes

Ok thatā€™s the answer I was looking for. I really like the realistic approach (even though itā€™s kicking my ass right now). Knowing that my background is the reason Iā€™m doing poorly is cool, once I know why.

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m not angry or mad. There are games where I feel like I wonā€™t touch them again, but yours is so much different. Really transferring the Gladiator feeling. So looking forward to the the patch and the game itself. Much love from me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@LeBaloo
Yeahh, I guess I was a bit tired of MCs who could destroy entire hordes with a blink of an eye (as awesome as that isā€¦ it got tiring for me and there wasnā€™t the sense of accomplishment) So I tried something a bit different with the harder approach (but still leaving room for different play styles). Not sure if it works, but hopefully the patch will help to level things for everyone!!! Hearing people restarting >15 times sounds too painful, even for a realistic playthrough

@kaos
Wow thatā€™s really good to hear! Thank you so much!!! Truly appreciated :smile: Will keep everyone updated once the patch is up!

4 Likes

Just wanted to ask, is there some ways we will not losing our money after getting caught and become slave on the beginning? Or it was a plot that cannot be changed?, just very curious and that amount of money will be really useful to buy the general armor

1 Like

Probably not that prologue money is mostly only there for roleplaying favour. If the author ever had any other intentions those might have gotten cut during development somewhere. Or at least thatā€™s my bit of speculation. My mc, as a Greek peasant, never had enough money to worry about in any case, so for him itā€™s a moot point.

Really? I know they lack a bit in education but my Greek peasant mc always did fine stats-wise. Of course those are the first four chapters. :worried:
With this now being a series perhaps the ex-peasant gets a chance to do some catch-up later in life? After all to exact any sort of satisfying revenge on his old nemesis a bit more formal education might come in useful. Poor does not have to mean dumb.

Ugh, since Iā€™m sick with the flu I caved in and bought the website version.
I must say Caesar is a bastard, but perhaps a clever one. Although I fail to see the benefits in him just making our mcā€™s into ordinary foot soldiers in the Auxiliaries as we have already demonstrated superior abilities and possibly leadership capabilities too.
For our mcā€™s going from champion gladiator to Auxillary foot soldiers, as weā€™re not likely going to be cavalry or sailors as we lack the training, although those with noble backgrounds might be able to handle horses well-enough I suppose, is also quite a big step back. Seeing as how rich gladiators could become, whereas Aux veterans, unlike real legion vets were often quite poor, unless they used to be officers. But the rest of the mc backgrounds would need training beforehand. I mean the average pay for an Auxilliary was speculated to be just 70 denarii on average after deductions for equipment and unlike the normal legionnaires they didnā€™t receive pension payments or land if they survived the term of service. Though what they did receive was the good kind of manumission with enfranchisement, which is possibly the clever part as it is much better than being manumitted as a gladiator.

This at least gives us some prospect of a ā€œrewardā€, provided we survive 20-30 years in the Roman army, which might mean my mc might have to take his vengeance on Kraterousā€™ sons. :disappointed:

Although much less is known about the Auxiliaries than the legions. So you could make our mcā€™s position and the chances for them to get ā€œpromotedā€ almost anything you want. Speculation is most Aux officers effectively bought their commissions or were Legion veterans who could always reenlist in the Auxiliaries at one rank higher than they retired from the legions. Except at the very highest echelons where the government had a big de-facto finger on the scales.

As for the ending of this game I would recommend patching in an epilogue scene for this one, dealing with the immediate aftermath of our mcā€™s ā€œvictoryā€. Reflecting on what happens with our best friend and any survivors, like what becomes of Flavius in the immediate aftermath for example and Taurus/Gisila, assuming they survived.

3 Likes

@kaos @ClaimedMinotaur @john_baldauff @MichaelCrank @Talyrion @Crax @Gufery

Patch is out!!! Update your app for the ability to restart the chapter upon death (w/ your stats intact) so hopefully that makes life less painful!!! And hopefully less 1 star reviews :wink:

Great thanks to @RETowers and HG for making it possible!!!

6 Likes

Iā€™d say youā€™re doing pretty great with the ratings so far lol thanks for the heads up though! Just got that installed now.

1 Like

Heyā€¦ I unfortunately found another bugā€¦ :confused:

In the one vs one fight against the Gladiator I had to achieve Strength plus charm >=120.
Both together were 122 (60 + 62) and it showed me <=120 therefore I diedā€¦ :confused:

But until then I was at the edge of my seat while playing. Well, well done!

1 Like

I wish so much this game was on Steam, please HG consider to move it on steam as well :frowning:

5 Likes

@nauhziy When there are hidden stat checks do they measure the personality stats? And I wonder whatā€™s the point of hiding those stat checks?

1 Like

Hereā€™s something I really liked about this game: The game makes difference between female and male MC other than in the pronouns and still it doesnā€™t make me feel like my female MC is any less worth than a male MC would be.

2 Likes

@Zen1

I believe that in the beginning, you do lose some (but not all your money - also depending on the path you take!!!) I admit I didnā€™t put in a very sophisticated economic system, but then again slaves never really had money hahaha

@idonotlikeusernames

I think that simply lacking the formal education and training in the beginning results in a relatively significant disadvantage, which is reflected in the chap 1 stats (again dependent on what you do) Peasants can still ā€œwinā€ the game though!

Canā€™t say that Iā€™m displeased but do take care and hope you get well soon!

[spoiler]I intend to explore the wars and campaigns in that period extensively, and Iā€™ve definitely taken into account the MCā€™s superior training and combat abilities (after all, most gladiators were given much better training than regular Roman rank and file soldiers). There were Auxiliary officers as well, despite their slightly lower standing to their Roman counterparts, there was still the opportunity to command men into battle

In a way, I chose this route because it probably gives the most options moving forward (in terms of gameplay and storyline) Also, no one would want to play a game where you sit on your butt all day and drank wine (or would they? hahaha)[/spoiler]

Hmm, this is interesting advice - Iā€™ve received quite a feel reviews/feedback about the ending. In a way, I wanted to write a cliffhanger that left readers with a severe sense of injustice against Caesar. But I suppose itā€™s not the most popular creative decision as well >.< What did you think about the ending?

@MichaelCrank
Ahh well, Iā€™m Asian so itā€™s never quite good enough personally hahaha. But itā€™s definitely a great eye-opening experience! (From pirates, to features to the entire publishing process!)

@kaos
Damn! Alright, Iā€™ll send in a patch for that (the stat checked for 130). Thank you for letting me know!!! And thank you for playing!! I hope the restarting feature has made things slightly less tedious?

@Simon_Tremelay
Unfortunately, I donā€™t really know how they decide which games end up on Steam, but with luck, it might just happen. Thank you for your support anyhow!!! Appreciate it :smile:

@Cari-san

For the hidden stats, itā€™s normally cause I check for multiple stats, or have multipliers (and the calculations get a bit convoluted), so I decide against showing them for stylistic purposes. For example, strength and agility checks could be in place with a multiplier of 1 for strength and 0.5 for agility. Equipment also augments stat checks (like shield/armor/weapon types). Iā€™m still trying to figure out whatā€™s the best way to do these, without keeping the reader in the dark too much.

Thank you for picking up on that!!! Iā€™ve tried my best to represent both male and female MCs. I would hate to make gender something that affects the experience, but I do feel it adds an additional layer of richness when NPCs recognize your gender and react accordingly to that!

7 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ve got a mountain of paperwork piling up in the meantime, that I just canā€™t concentrate on. So frustrating.

2 Likes