Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

I actually don’t think you can. One instance of flirting is probably the best you can hope for.

3 Likes

I think you should add an auto save before any possible death, I can’t end the game bc I die all time! :frowning: Good game btw i’m lovin it

1 Like

Thank for the answer. Hopefully the option will be available on next game

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s just me, but it seems Horatia’s relationship bar never increases for me

1 Like

And we have hit #3 Trending on Role Playing Games!!! Freaking insane and incredible, I could hardly believe it? Thank you so much for your support!!! Truly trully appreciate it a ton.

As gratitude, I’ll be doing a giveaway on my instagram. All you have to do is to follow and tag a friend on the instagram page and you’ll get a chance to win the game for free (I’ll sponsor it). More tags = more chances so what are you waiting for??? Get onto instagram and start tagging your friends!

Get the latest updates by following on socials!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whatthefoong/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/what.the.foong/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/WhatTheFoong

9 Likes

@CANhugeverycat
Hmm, do you happen to have screenshots of this happening?

@anon4518890

Hmm, are you saying that the MC should have confronted the master?

Hahaha yeah maybe I kept things a bit unclear for the ending, the feeling I wanted to go for was kind of like injustice against the entire system, and maybe vengence, which wld spur the MC onto the next book. Thanks for the feedback though, would definitely try to make it clearer next time!

@Resul_Ekrem_Kaya
I’m afraid @Taylor_Enean is right, it’s not out on steam yet, so you would have to play via the website.

@Projectzed910
Well… it depends (;

@N1GHTMAR3
Thanks for pointing it out! I’ll see if I can patch it up. And huge thanks for setting up the achievements/walkthrough guide!!!

@Jacic

Thanks for keeping things on-topic! heh

@Zen1 @Talyrion

They’re going to be more important in the next book! So don’t think your actions are in vain

3 Likes

@Gufery
Yes! I’ve actually already sent in a patch to HG that will allow you to restart from the chapter you died at. Thanks a lot!!! That’s awesome to hear :smile:

@MeanAndGae
I guess it also depends on what you do!

1 Like

Vengeance is definitely my mc’s motivation. With how well this one is doing maybe we’ll get a rerelease for Steam too, either in a bit or when the next part is published. Late is better than never after all. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t really leave reviews, but thought I would considering the rather unique and rather interesting topic of this game. Just a few comments after running a noble Greek playthrough:

I rather quite enjoyed the game overall, though I do feel that it was rather rushed in the lead up to the Games at the end. I would have expected some more fights in the minor circuit, but that’s not a major issue. I do also find it a shame that gladiator classes never really come into play despite the earlier chapters, and in the Games the MC can only really go in as a Murmillo, Hoplomachus or a Dimachaerus based on the equipment available at the shop.

I like the attention to detail and the authenticity of the feeling – from the brutality of slave ships to the different types of slaves, to the ludus, to the final games themselves. From the fact that there’s a naumachia, to the beasts being afraid when they’re herded in due to the crowd, to the dissatisfaction of the gladiators and the lanista when there’s so much bloodshed. I like how the final fight can potentially end up like the famous fight between Verus and Priscus as described by Martial.

That being said, it does also sort of make the historical inaccuracies more jarring (though things like calling it the Colosseum instead of the Flavian Amphitheatre are really minor, there are larger things). They’re nothing major, really, just kicked me out of immersion a bit. Things like Julius Caesar being alive when the Colosseum is being constructed, the Games being 10 days long instead of 100 days. It would have been nice were the mortality rate of gladiators closer to history, or that the weird stuff about gladiators like them having to do advertisements and having corporate sponsors, but those are even more minor things. The issues are largely largely things that from a read-through of the game alone (I didn’t manage to take part in the pre-release stuff, or have read the thread) don’t seem to have a major purpose.

The ending was a bit flat as well, rather unsatisfying and sudden, though if there is a continuation I guess that makes sense. I suppose it would have been nice for the MC to be able to savour in the victory a bit more, or have a more substantial epilogue. Again, though, any issues I have with the game aren’t really major enough to disrupt my enjoyment of the game and in hindsight I figure that a continuation would probably involve (the build up to) Caesar’s Civil War, an interesting topic in itself (with gladiators often used as thugs/muscle in political warfare), or something like that, which adds a bit more clarity to the ending.

All in all, nicely done!

4 Likes

i would give it a 2.5/5 because of the fact that its so easy to die and no save system :frowning:

1 Like

I have a suspect bug to report: when fighting against the gladiator at the funeral, I have 62 STR. I did everything perfectly, but somehow I lost the fight. On another playthrough, I purposely kept my STR below 60 while still making the exact same choices and it actually went through. I was playing a Greek. I suspect that for some reason, the game failed to read my stat because I was ‘overleveled’ or something. This actually did happen in a different check where I clearly had over 60 STR, but it says I’m <60 anyway.

Also, the ending is pretty abrupt. I even thought it was a bad ending until I check the forums. It really should be clearer.

2 Likes

yeah, i mean in one of my playthrough i played a suck up to cato family, saved his life and killed the wolf, i defended the old cato honor offering myself etc
i think after all my mc did for their “master” and being betrayed like that needed an answer and i expected atleast some kind of questioning from my mc rather than being a doll guy. (i did punch the wall… , so where did all his hate, angry etc go? it was kind of a different mc than what i did play all the game)

i understand and since there is a 2 book i dont mind that at all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would suggest to also send your bug report with the in-game support email. Your post might be overlooked if another set of new posts comes in.

=)

1 Like

There’s a checkpoint type system. If you die you’ll restart the chapter.

2 Likes

Hi, without revealing what happens next (I’m doing my first readthrough and I’m at the moment when you get attacked by another factions of gladiators in theludus of Nerinas ) and despite trying to focus on strenght I get absolutely trashed by this game and not succeding in any stat check whatsoever.
I just want to know if it is pretty normal and the result of me being at the start of my career or is it just bad choice from my part ? Because even though I usually like having some fails on my first reasthroughs, I begin to feel a bit frustrated

2 Likes

Here’s the first time, I think. Typo is there regardless of MC background…

1 Like

Could be worth while adding this to the description to head off complaints about the ending and to let people interested know they can check back for book 2.

4 Likes

To be fair, finding the ending quite abrupt would still be a valid complaint. It didn’t bother me overly much, but it does feel a bit short and with a missed emotional opportunity. That a sequel is waiting around the corner wouldn’t exactly change that.

1 Like

@idonotlikeusernames
I’ve definitely learnt a ton from this release tho (save points cough) and I’ll def try to push out a better sequel!! That’s true. Hopefully it happens sooner rarher than later!!

@Thfphen110
Thanks for leaving a review and for playing the game!! I’m glad you liked it, and I really appreciate you taking the time to give me such detailed feedback!!

I do think its a bit of a pity that I didn’t explore more classes of gladiators. But there was the complexity of having traditional match ups (bestiarii only fought beasts) so i wanted to deviate a little from history for the sake of gameplay. The same goes for the chronological inaccuracies in the game, most were made to fit the game towards mainstream casual audiences, and I’m definitely sorry that it might have been jarring, especially the time periods (Caesar and the Colosseum). That said, I do think that the potential for gameplay and experience would be way higher this way, and we wld get to explore more than if we stuck to historical chronology. (I had a long internal battle about this, and this was the best compromise I came up with hahahaha)

This game was very interesting to write as there were a ton of developmental decisions that had to be made. Gameplay vs historical accuracy, choice vs length, technical details vs action scenes etc etc. Many elements were experiments on my part and this is a very humbling and amazing learning journey for me!!!

Also, one major regret is not having more fights in the minor circuit. I initially wanted to do something like having a pool of fights and a mini randomised league, but scrapped it due to time and technical constraints. Some reviews mentioned that it felt rushed as well, so I’ll definitely take note for the future!!!

And wow you do know quite a lot about Rome and Gladiators! I did try my best to represent things well (having never been to Rome myself, it was all based on online research and documentaries/books) so I’m glad that it turned out well and brought about an authentic experience for you!!! Really so grateful for your time, its people like you who I want to make games for and tell stories to. Really appreciate it!!! :smile:

@john_baldauff
Hi there! Sorry for the poor experience :confused: I’ve sent in a patch to HG to allow for restarting from the chapter you died at, so do look out for that!!! Thank you so much for playing the game though! I appreciate it a lot :smile:

@Crax
Hey! Thanks for the bug report. Hmm. I’ll definitely have to check, but I think there’s a stat buff that comes from the effectiveness of the taunt (kind of like a multiplier) for the munus scene. Also, the stat checks are not singular - other stats like charm, intellect and agility play a role as well, depending on the actions you pick!

Sorry about the issues!! Hope it didn’t kill the gameplay experience for you!!! You’re definitely not the first person to say that, so its been a great learning experience for me as well and I’ll def take note for future games/sequels!!! Thank you for playing the game though!!! :smile:

5 Likes

@anon4518890
Thats a great point actually. I didn’t even realise what a major story point that could have been!!! Goes to show how important it is to plan the emotional events as well as the regular events in-game. While I probably can’t change things too much now, thanks for the feedback, and its definitely a good learning point for the sequels and sir yes sir. Thank you so much for being understanding and for playing the game/being a part of the demo!!! Appreciate your help!!!

@ClaimedMinotaur
Has HG released the patch yet?

@LeBaloo
Hmm, what are your stats? I designed the game to make the stat checks quite difficult - and the success of the choices you make are heavily dependent on your stats (strength might not be the most important stat for some/most choices, others depend on a combination of stats)

Hope it’s not too frustrating for you and I apologize if it’s getting more painful than fun!!! I’ll be happy to help with tips/advice if needed. In fact, @N1GHTMAR3 came up with a great walkthrough at Gladiator: Road to Colosseum - Guide so you can check that too!

@CANhugeverycat
Oh shucks that’s definitely an oversight on my part. So sorry for that and thank you for letting me know!!! Here’s a :cookie: for you hahaha. It’s a massive game and I definitely need an editor >.<

@Jacic
Hmm that’s a good idea actually, maybe I can get HG to add that into the description/ending!

@Talyrion
I hear you, and I think a few of my friends/reviews have said the same. Now that you guys have said it, I realized that it definitely could have been better!! This whole experience has been a great learning experience for me in terms of learning how to write/design the player experience, so that’s great feedback as well. Thank you!!! :smile:

5 Likes