Community College Hero (for all post-release feedback)

Teleporting is “Always” a weird subject, especially in how “it” works and what happens when an object that is teleported ends up occupying the same space as regular matter.

Because in truth if you are not rearranging the atoms in the region that you are teleporting something into what you or it is, than by all rights a “Telefraging” / Contest of space situation should occur.
(Mainly because unless you are moving yourself into space there is always going to be a contest of matter between what was their and what just appeared, and this is generally for everything with the exception of Portals and Vacuums).

(And all of this is complex enough without taking into account limitations, like sight, distance, mass, energy, density, shape, number, The Manton effect (Not being able to effect Humans).

(On a side note a unique way “She” could kill people by, would be to teleport a coin into them, or them into a wall or a statue, depending on “How” her power handles such situations “Sometimes powers in fiction simply prevent the user from doing such an action, or they allow for non-solid matter to be pushed aside, or they allow the teleporter to blow up whatever was were they where standing End Rant”, but that’s not to say that her power is the strongest or in any way coolest.

I think that award would go to Crook if he ever used a gun, all he’d have to do is get a sniper rifle, and create a portal through all the solid matter in the direction of his “Target” and it would be an instant hit, not only that depending on what his power views as solid matter he could even remove the defence of armour by making a portal that goes through it leading to them, and that’s not even going into what he could do if it affected people.

Oh but than these also Origami would could create literal 2 dimensional blades, which would be THE sharpest thing ever, and that’s excluding what she could do if her power allowed for her to play around with the first and third dimension.)

(Mind you, these are all interpretations of what the concept of these powers “Could” do, after all they will all have a lot of draw back to avoid being over powered and to explain why they are (In the Case of the Speck Students) only level One and above.
And All I’ve done here is apply a bit of “Science” (Mostly creative thinking inspired by Worm a story about Paranormal heroes), if you can call it that to a Fiction where Powers exist.)

1 Like

My mind is blown, now going into Stand-by mode! eep.

Seriously, ty for the great info on teleporting.

1 Like

The teleporting stuff is pretty awesome ^^

Though the “2-D blades” probably wouldn’t be very effective. Skippable science stuff below.

[spoiler] Assuming a perfectly linear slash delivered a theoretical 2D blade’s “edge”, the 2D blade would just pass through without interference since it technically does not exist along that vector.

The real world equivalent, a monomolecular blade, would be just as unhelpful. Paper has a very low hardness so a monomolecular paper blade wouldn’t be able to cut anything harder than paper.

Even if the blade is harder than the opposing material, a monomolecular blade is only able to absorb a teensy amount of energy before fracture. In other words, you would basically need your enemy to hold still for a few minute while you carefully eased the blade into him. Its the same reason why a diamond swords would be so impractical. [/spoiler]

2 Likes

True enough I guess, though I was under the impression that she was becoming a 2D (Flat) Human being rather than a 2D piece of paper when she used her power, and thus assumed that she would have a higher hardness compared to paper.

But even considering that, her power if it could ( And there is a very heavy emphasis on COULD) fluctuate between 1D, 2D, 3D and above could be amazingly powerful, as you said above a 2D blades edge would pass through the “Target”
(Be it human or otherwise) and then she could “simply” change it back into a 3D object. ( Though I imagine the effect would be “Far” greater if she could extend it to a weapon, like a blade, and if she could effect others with it all the better, as she could ruin an enemies 'Thickness").

But I digress, the main reason I was even talking about origami was that I hoped to find out (With a bit of fishing) if her power could be extended to other things…Like a shadow.

So I finally got around to finishing that fan art I said I’d do.

This is my character Urban Knight. I tried using this as an opportunity to practice my pen skills…I don’t remember much but I think there was fire, some non-euclidean being, and I think at least three people died in the ensuing chaos. Turns out I used a sharpie, and I’m apparently REALLY bad with sharpies. Live and learn.

4 Likes

The hood up girl on the left is almost exactly how I pictured my soldier with minor differences in style on the helm and shoulders. Well done.

1 Like

Interesting. My character’s outfit was actually inspired by these two real life hoodies.

3 Likes

THATS A HOODIE??? and for origami I keep thinking of flatman powers

Funny story… on my first playthrough, I named my character (a female detective) Rey.
That made the scene at the end where characters reveal their civilian names slightly awkward :laughing:

Anyway, great game! I enjoyed the characters and the storyline, and especially the whole universe. It was the first CoG I tried, and it did the job of getting me into these big time. I’ve since played a bucnh of others, and intend to continue!
Looking forward to the following episodes of this!

It’s the biggest compliment to any of the authors here to have someone say, “Yours was the first one I read and I liked it enough to read others!” So I really appreciate you saying that.

It is getting snowy here so hopefully some of my other responsibilities will be canceled and I’ll be able to cram some CCH-work in this weekend. I’m learning more and more about game design from CoG and I’m trying to improve Part 2’s mechanics (here’s the tricky part) without essentially re-writing Part 1. So I’m spinning my wheels right now but in a good way. I want to make sure I take Part 2 down the optimal path.

And @From_Beginnings, your sketches are awesome. I love all the thought you put into the different aspects of the design and little notes.

@Oirbse, that teleportation breakdown was epic. And I don’t think anyone will be surprised that Crook might significantly “up his game” in Part 2. He could be a stone cold killer if he was so inclined.

Oh and I’ll post today’s FB question here…

If you could give Mega Cat one ridiculously-over-the-top powerset that justifies his Grade 10 Zenith status, what would you give him??? Go!!

3 Likes

This offer is running on FB as well…

DISCOUNT OFFER ON REMAINING T-SHIRTS!!!

If you promise to email me a selfie of yourself in your Speck Community College t-shirt (I want to create a “CCH Fans” section for the web site), I will give you a discounted price on my remaining t-shirts.

A t-shirt is regularly $9 plus $6 shipping (US only) You’d get the shirt for only $5 with this deal, so $11 total. Don’t send anything too crazy (or anything the Hedonist would like!)…just a regular ole selfie.

(Legal disclaimer - because I love doing these!) By sending a pic, you’d be giving me permission to post it on the website.

Supplies are limited so email me at eric at communitycollegehero dot com to verify I have the size you want (M, L, or XL)

2 Likes

I bet Mega Cat is like that flock villain, but with cats instead of birds. :cat:

Imagine the power…
he’d rule the internet, at the very least

Actually, the whole time I just assumed he was a superman-analogue with over-the-top physical attributes. :slightly_smiling:

I always thought he would ride into battle on a lion, with an army of domestic cats ready to heed his commands. Or they would cling to his costume like cat armour… I now have material for fan fictions.

I imagine Megacat as Genki cat in saints row 3 and 4. So he is awesome in my mind and a mass murder badass

1 Like

Super Strenght
Heightened speed and reflexes (like Spider-Man but more cat like)
Super Jump (like Hulk)
High Endurance
Golden Energy Claw
Misfortune Curse (like the black cats’ legend)
Nine Lives

Now I’m picturing Mega Cat screaming ETHICAL after smashing the villain in the face with a final blow.

1 Like

Exactly, He is charismatic for something lol. Prestige practices should include murder bowling and sad pandas :panda_face: Tami is already in the game

So far, the FaceBook MegaCat is a time-traveling, clone-creating, speedster with unbreakable claws, telekinesis, super leaping (he always lands on his feet), and nine lives. Oh and he possesses cuteness/internet meme powers too.

2 Likes

No Saddle-wearing lion? Damn. With the nine lives power, has he used any of them up yet?

And I bet this is his favorite music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrXR6n0RTY