Choice of Romance Part 3 - Til Death Do Us Apart - Review and Discussion

Am I correct in assuming that the game is available for Kindle Tablets? Because Amazon will not let me buy the game for my kindle. :frowning:

I can never seem to get a happy ending :frowning:
My first time through, the King was controlled by Tomas and I rather foolishly attempted to break the mind control, even though it was obvious the King wouldn’t agree… and then I was burned at the stake. So, I shrugged it off, thinking about how the first time I played part 1, I ended up being sent home after the Season in disgrace and suitor-less. I assumed the next time I played I’d do better… but, instead, I got the ending where Tomas controls you for ten years and you watch the King die, you hear your sons are sent to a “safe” house and that said was abandoned, de Vega dies, and your Aunt, Uncle, and sister die. It was incredibly intense and I nearly cried afterwards, but it was no where near a happy (or satisfying) ending, even though you’re reunited with your sons (and possibly Agustin. Could he, well his spirit, be the purple butterfly?)

I’ve kept playing, but I always die in various ways and it annoys me that as much as I love the King, he seems not to care or love me at all after a while. I hate that there’s no option to talk to him and show how much you care; there’s barely any mention of him showing affection like there was in part 2. (I’m also somewhat disappointed that there’s never a scene where you can tell the king that you spread the rumors about Ines and Jaunita which ended up getting them executed and that you didn’t mean for that to happen; I’d like to be honest with him and perhaps for him to say that it was his fault, not mine. After all, that’s what would happen in a romance novel, right?)

Overall, I suppose I’m pleased with the intensity of some scenes and the constant drama of the plot, but I dislike the ten or so endings I have gotten.

@Avis Keep trying. Failure is for the weak.

The best one I got so far, is breaking Tomas’ mind control of the queen, and him being executed. The Queen never flipped out on me since i never did anything that would compromise the trust she had in me (well outside having the king killed with false evidence in pt 1 :wink: ), and we stayed together till she died 5 years later. Then Mendoza helped me repel Juanita, and was still pining away after all that time, so I married her finally, and we raised Ricardo together to be a good king. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kinda feel bad about Juanita after seeing an ending where I failed the rebellion thanks to my brother in law e_e, if that part can fit with the above, that’d be the best to me, as outside her being a (justified) jerk in part 2, she wasn’t so bad.

Strange, I have yet to attain an ending where I can refrain from acting against the monarch without being burned at the stake. In the last several playthroughs, aside from getting the royal consort executed, I did not do anything else, even refraining from dealing with Ramirez to gain a life mage child. By the end, reputation was at 99, and I never spoke against the monarch to avoid the relationship dropping. I am not sure what else could be done to raise the relationship with the monarch sufficiently that he will not have you executed by the end if you choose not to act first.

@Gadriel Stats don’t have as much of an effect on part 3 as they did in parts 1 and 2. Often times they aren’t even checked. Your specific choices are much more important than your stats in part 3, and sometimes the results can be a bit arbitrary, so you need to experiment a bit.

Yeah, I got a tip in another topic that you have to absolutely refuse letting Mendoza or de Vega in your room, because each of those decisions tanks your trust a ton.

1 Like

Haha, I never even suspected Vega was an option! He absolutely hates me 'x)
Not that I care; All I want is a happy ending with de Mendosa… <3

Overall I really enjoyed the game and to me it was worth the $3.99 I spent on it. I loved the different endings; on the first playthrough I was able to reach one where I didn’t die by killing Thomas when my sons were rebelling against him

I think it really does have more to do with your choices than your stats because I had fairly low magic but was able to live without using any kind of spell pretty much through the entire game

When I play it again I’ll probably do a lot of things differently, though. I’m wondering if things would be easier to have de Vega on my side instead of being my mortal enemy, lol

1 Like

How do you get the happy ending with Mendosa and get the constitution? All of my plays end up getting me killed. Are there certain stats/choices?

If you want a constitution, you need a revolution.

Which means that you really need to keep your legs together. You need a solid Reputation to get Felix on your side, which is invaluable when Vega is against you; that, combined with charm and subtlety, is probably the most valuable tool for knocking down the Monarch.

Pfft, I got the ending without that old windbag at my side. Maybe it depends on your score with the monarch? My subtlety was like 90 at this point, so plotting the rebellion was a walk in the park. I think that’s the second ending I got.

@Jackrabbit: I can state categorically that you can’t get a constitution without Mendosa’s support.

This installment certainly didn’t disappoint, the balance between being just a step away from the reins of power and being under constant danger of being “removed” by a capricious monarch who you happened to be married to turned out brilliantly, though I just wish my subtle, Bismarckian, expert mage was able to find some way of turning the tables on Tomas de Reyes, or even hatching plans to put him under *your* power earlier on, say in part 2.

That being said, the bastard (hah!) still died screaming, Her Majesty died of “a tragic accident, as the guards tried to retrain her during a bout of insanity”, and Lord Regent Cristobal de Castillo will forever be remembered as the father (literally) of Iberia’s tradition of constitutionalism and popular rule…

*Waits for @Drazen to begin frothing at the mouth.*

@Cataphrak: Well, you’re in for a long wait! /sarcasm

@Ramidel: I meant without Felix, who scoffs at you and your affair. You can pull the revolution off without him and the mighty stick he keeps firmly lodged between his buttocks.

Obviously you need Mendosa for the constitution, as it is his idea.

1 Like

@Cataphrak The froth has been constant, sir, ever since people started sending me articles from the Guardian.

I was pleasantly surprised at how cordial Juanita, or should I say, Queen Juana, was to you in the ending where she is queen and appoints your son her successor. I had not expected her to show such mercy as to simply make the main character leave the capital instead of executing her.

It made a sufficient impression that on a subsequent playthrough I simply have her married into Sahra instead of inducing Agustin to execute her. At the end, I choose to simply leave her be or exile her from Orovilla, as a way to return the mercy she showed in her own ending.

Still, as the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20. Playing in-character, one has no way to know that Juanita would show you such mercy. Within the window you have to act against her, you have every reason to believe she wants you and your children dead. As such, playing in-character, I would still insist on eliminating Juanita, though I do regret the necessity. I regret the necessity of my dear Isabel de Flores having to poison the king as well. Still, such is the way of the game of thrones. If you would play it, you can only choose to win or die.

1 Like

@Jackrabbit: Ah yes. You can do without Felix if your Charm and Subtlety are high enough, but for your average playthrough he’ll make the difference between victory and death.

Also, if the monarch is dead and you’re rebelling against Juanita, Vega won’t be any help to the princess. Juanita’s allies are in the south, so by opposing her instead of her mother, you divide your enemies. Of course, this requires a measure of subtlety or a sterling record to pull off anyway (and if you have a sterling record, you should be able to recruit Felix anyway).

I was always kind to Juanita, understanding that she was just a teenager and one in a difficult situation when we first meet her. I do marry her to Sahra, seeing them as the better choice, although I’d have liked to have asked her which of the two options she’d have preferred. It didn’t seem right that this decision could be made and there was never the possibility to ask her away from everyone else what she’d prefer.

I was glad that she turned out right in the end. I would have liked to have been her friend.

1 Like

Well, to be honest, you did screw her beloved parent the Consort over by stealing the Monarch, even if you didn’t kill them outright. Despite that, she’s an honorable individual.

(This is why we need a Mendosa Path DLC; you can’t reach Choice of Intrigues by acting honorably. Possibly even a Torres Path, though that might understandably be somewhat unpopular.)

@Gadriel: From another perspective, my Sophia de Rivera, being an honorable woman, never agreed with Cersei; while she lay down with the Queen to secure her family’s prospects and power, she was always a loyal subject and never a criminal until the “season of flame” forced her to act to save the innocent and protect the kingdom from her beloved queen’s madness. Juanita never did Sophia any wrong, and Sophia has been a champion of justice and honor since well before her first kiss with the Queen, so having Juanita removed to secure her own position never even crossed her mind.