Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Exactly, she should just choose to or not to have kids based off what she actually wants, but hey it wasn’t really a swell time to talk about it considered we could wind up dead any day :grin:[quote=“Lys, post:7840, topic:1601”]
grins Although, I don’t really consider the minor noble as having a very comfy life. Compared to a helot? Certainly. Compared to a yeoman/merchant? Some of them probably live better…
[/quote]

Better than living in the woods :anguished:

3 Likes

If Havenstone wants to be really diabolical, he might allow a Theurge MC to basically have Breden get pregnant…sort of a clone of herself…and if you are Eclect, you can claim it as a miracle from the Angels. Of course, if Breden finds out the truth…well, hope the MC doesn’t have to sleep and develops a way to be knife-proof.

1 Like

Involuntary magical pregnancies are not anticipated to be part of XoR.

10 Likes

If I were going to magically make one of us pregnant it would be me, not her :stuck_out_tongue:

What about consensual magical pregnancies? :grin:

3 Likes

By the way, I’m sure this has already been asked and answered multiple times by now, but just in case it hasn’t: what do you think about adding relationship meters for the main characters? Also, in a similar vein, I think it would also be a good idea to give descriptions of your traits in the stats page instead of ones that are defined by numbers. So like for example, instead of 3, 2, and 1 respectively, it would be:

Charisma: extremely charming
Intellect: sharp and educated
Combat: clumsy and inexperienced

Typo:
“She notifies you that “a friend in the capital” has provided some good” (capital should be capitol, I believe)

By the way, I appreciate how challenging this is. In the playthrough I did a few days ago, I did very well and everyone loved me. In this one, I made slightly different choices but ended up making everyone starve and Radmar started a mutiny. It was so depressing that I just restarted, haha.

Because she is a conniving little traitor Helot with an inflated sense of importance, and an unhealthy devotion to the bloody Angels. When the nobility of Shayard gets their stuff together and starts this rebellion for real, it will be people like her who will cause trouble for everyone by going on about “Helot rights” and similar rebellious concepts that can only lead to chaos and destruction. If she wasn’t so useful I would have her killed or exiled every time, just to make sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can see the advantage of adding relationship meters, Sam. But I think the game is better off without them, considering many of the main characters might not be alive at the end of the game, and besides, I’d say not having the bars and have to look at the hints in the prose to find out how So and So feel about the MC is more interesting. This is all my very subjective opinion on it, though.

Ah, but I liked the descriptions to the stats. It might be useful in later games, when the numbers might increase drastically-- a MC who only boost Intellect might be able to, I dunno, fight the Thaumatarch, instead of one with INT 4, who might above-average smart.

6 Likes

This is pretty much my mc’s reasoning too, it is also why a hereditary monarchy won’t be an option for him, though of course loathing all the trappings of it would be another and him being gay would be the definitive one.

Defiance feels good and in the case of my mc it is what he genuinely wants too, being gay and all. So unless Simon or one of the other RO’s is trans kids aren’t a possibility anyway.

With my mc it never even starts, because he just doesn’t trust her/him. Then again my mc does have a paranoid streak, though in the case of Breden it is definitely warranted.

1 Like

Actually, “capital” with an “a” is accurate. In the context of the sentence I took it to be the seat of government for a country.

“capitol” with an “o” appears to be the spelling for the building occupied from a legislature. This version appears to be derived from the Capitoline, which was a temple to Jupiter in Rome.

2 Likes

nods One of the divergence points of my noble MC is she would like to have a family, even if she isn’t considered noble. She had no problem with Breden not wanting to have children herself (same sex couple, of course), but to even deny the possibility of adoption would be a deal breaker…

Not to mention that in the wake of a successful revolution there will be a large number of orphans anyways. Hell, if you successfully beat the Phalangites, odds are good many of the children in your band lost both parents (in play, while I can win, I still suffer around 66%-75% casualties among the adults)

Not that I’m complaining…I mean, the Phalangites usually has around 700 troops with 5 Theurges, and my band tends to have only around 400-450 adults by that point. So whittling down that many to win is a big accomplishment.

Heh, and I think it was genius of @Havenstone to have the party get poisoned if Breden is still there, otherwise not if gone…players will certainly metagame the question whether Breden is a traitor or not.

That was why I entertained the notion there might be some Theurgic way to create a Manchurian candidate…the NPC wouldn’t consciously be a traitor, but at certain times, will send info/actions from a compromised state.

3 Likes

Really? I feel like Breden as the traitor/kryptast plant is pretty dang obvious. Certainly @Havenstone’s writing makes readers doubt, but I think an insurgency like the Taliban would have executed Breden long ago… They execute their own for much less. It takes a truly forgiving leader to keep Breden around for the long haul. Radmar and Breden would both be dead from 1 irl in most rebellions that were actually interested in self-preservation imo.

That is once again why I wondered about the whole Manchurian thing. Otherwise, I’m inclined to the traitor aspect as well…for someone else to go out of their way to frame Breden would just be to complicated, especially in the woods.

Certainly, and there are options to sort of go along these lines. However, not all insurgencies would do that…the American Revolution springs to mind. Not that they didn’t go after perceived traitors as well, but not on the scale of the Taliban.

But yeah, the majority of insurgencies do trend to the violent; (French Revolution, Russian Revolution, etc.)

Someone like a Martin Luther King? (Yes, if I’m playing a ‘compassionate MC’ this is the model I go on). So yes, it is possible a leader can do it…though said leader is more likely to end up a martyr themselves before to long.

And you won’t see me arguing because you are right. Breden just wouldn’t be to trustworthy, and Radmar’s…impulsiveness…is a danger to anyone around him.

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of more than one traitor. That might explain Radmar framing Breden if that’s your cup of tea. Personally I’d just have offed them both prolly…and Zavd when he leaves…

1 Like

@cascat07, when you meet Jac Cabel in Game 2, he’ll have a similar incredulous reaction to MCs who didn’t immediately dismiss/execute Breden.

He’s a lifelong insurgent – not coming out of the moral economy of a peacetime village. The risk calculations that are obvious to you would seem that way to him too.

9 Likes

Nor would my mc, and from different groups too, he still harbours some suspicions that Simon might well be a Laconnier plant. On the other hand he does like the intellectual challenge and moral victory of using their own people and resources against his enemies, so he’d rather manipulate Breden into furthering his goals and convince that cutie Simon. :wink:
Breden would seem fairly junior, particularly if they really are a conscripted helot/drudge.

How very sanguine of you, is this what they teach you in Trump’s army these days? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey does anyone know how to get the achievement

Id hate to see anything bad happen

You basically commit extortion on Alaina Leybridge.

Now, I’m not exactly sure of the stats, so others will probably correct me.

As you may know, if you raid enough Caravans in the Owlscap, Alaina will summon you and tell you that you need to stop…or else she will stop trading with you.

The top choice of this is basically you telling Alaina she will have to pay you a little something to make stop. Most of the time, this choice is blanked out. To make it work…well, I think having a high enough Ruthless is one requirement.

I think having some level of Intellect is another requirement (even if it is just 1). I think I got it to work with a Com 2, Int 1 MC.

Nope that’s what they teach in history class, or in books about organized crime (if your paying attention).

I’m not sure what they teach in US Army, but the Marines haven’t changed much in 4 months…

2 Likes

Okay, minor continuity question to anyone else who may have done this: If you decide to keep Horion and Linos as prisoners…does something happen to them in your band, especially when the Thaumuturchy marches on you? Such as being killed by the secret spy? (I’m not counting players who execute them)

The reason I ask is in my most recent playthrough, I don’t see anything of them getting killed, etc…especially if I successfully fight the Phalangites, or run away from them.

I freely admit my eyes might be glazing over the relevant text if it is there (one problem with playing something so often)…if it isn’t showing up, though or supposed to be something there…this might be something @Havenstone may need to add a little bit on.

Must have changed how setting traps in winter works since I last played. It used to be 150 man-weeks of labor maxed out traps and the option disappeared but over the last week since I started playing again I have not seen the option disappear. Is it still possible to max traps?