Pleased to share my work on a new ChoiceScript project: Ace of Spies. In it, you play a mid-level tennis player working part-time as an intelligence agent. I hope people enjoy tennis.
Basically I like to joke about the fact that with tennis tournaments dotting the globe and smaller tournaments taking place in small obscure countries a mid-level tennis player provide an ideal cover for espionage. With a few exceptions at the very top of the sport tennis players are seldom famous enough to be recognizable outside of their own country(or in the case of Americans inside of it). They can get into countries that are potentially difficult to get into and are functionally anonymous once they get there.
To be optimistic I’d say I’m maybe 15-20% done, but also the entire thing isn’t sufficiently planned to provide a very accurate completion percentage, and I plan on updating every other month alternating updates with my sci-fi WIP Alphas and Iotas, but I hope to have some updates in the near future while polishing the first chapter and a half.
To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/justhefax/ace-of-spies/mygame/
Should be something around 20-25k words. Covers two or three tennis scenes depending on one’s definition of non-competitive tennis played with other potential spies, one mildly significant espionage section, the very beginning of another, and other assorted introductory things. It’s not as polished as I want it to be, but with the US Open starting this felt like an ideal time to introduce Ace of Spies.
About Ace of Spies:
- Modern, near future setting(near future basically means plentiful drones for the hacking, better cell coverage and internet access, and not talking about a certain coronavirus)
- Aiming for somewhere between 200k-300k words when complete, but that is a very rough estimate this early in the process.
- Gender choice, play on the men’s or women’s tour.
- On nonbinary characters: I don’t allow for a nonbinary/trans main character because as the main character the act of coming out as nonbinary/trans as a pro athlete would draw too much attention for a covert operative and while there are a handful of nonbinary pro athletes they are usually still competing with those corresponding to their birth gender and I just don’t see a third tennis tour existing anytime soon.
- Nonbinary characters can and will still appear your character just won’t be one of them. My official view on trans characters is generally that if you want to consider a character trans I do not care, but with the way international athletics are right now there just isn’t a realistic chance of a trans pro tennis player in the near future.
- Mildly customizable romantic options - You don’t just choose the gender of your ex and your spy handler, you also choose their background so you can get subtly different experiences depending on whether your handler/partner is a marksman/linguist or a wrestler/medic just as with whether your ex is pre-med, pre-law, or an aspiring teacher.
- Roughly five planned romance options.
- Best friend, a Portuguese fellow tennis pro and doubles partner. (same sex option)
- Fellow operative and Canadian tennis pro and mixed doubles partner. (opposite sex option)
- Coach/partner, retired operative/tennis player(mid 30s). (gender depends on choice of coach)
- Handler/partner, current operative way worse at tennis than the player. (gender varies according to romantic preference)
- Ex from college. (gender varies according to romantic preference)
- Other options for more casual relationships sometimes espionage related, sometimes not are to be determined. Will update as I write.
- Context specific stats page - My single favorite feature. Basically when your character is doing tennis the stats page defaults to showing tennis stats, when you’re infiltrating an ambassador’s reception it’ll default to showing your espionage stats. If you’re in a section socializing with contacts it means defaulting to your relationship status.(don’t have one of those sections yet)
- Aiming for 10-14 tennis sequences and roughly the same for spy sequences.
- I’m not crazy about the title, but it’s the best spy/tennis combo I could come up with. Jokes about Breaking Her Majesty’s Secret Serve didn’t quite land nor did International Forehand of Mystery. I welcome clever alternatives.
- I’m very surprised that there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated tag for spy-themed works, but there is one for sports.
That was longer than I wanted it to be, hope you enjoy the occasionally rough WIP. Any feedback is appreciated and my apologies for the occasional overly long section between page breaks. It is after all a work in progress.