Vendetta: Rise of a Gangster -- Reinvented

Maybe for the instead of the ex-pinkerton maybe a bartender or a drug runner?

2 Likes

I can’t help you I am not American and not Anglo-Saxon culture. And I don’t play those type of characters. However, you know that setting pretty well. I would Imagine one of those guys that goes selling merchandise door to door with their knowledge of Italian and a smart streetwise stealing in small wares. stuff like women panties. Poor women paid a lot for good panties in Spain that time was a good deal of black market over panties … But I suspect that a Panties seller doesn’t sound amazing. As I said I am not good at this settings.

2 Likes

How come the Grifter/College Student’s best stat is leadership, whereas the Suffragette/Union Organizer’s is persuasion? It seems to me it would be better to have it reversed, since the Grifter would’ve primarily manipulated individuals, as opposed to the Union Organizer, who would’ve organized groups.

3 Likes

Leadership is more than persuasion. It also means management and making sure you know how much money’s coming in and where it’s coming from. Meanwhile, the Organizer’s first job is getting people on board, not leading them once they are.

@poison_mara Just be lucky that you girls don’t have to deal with the Japanese panties market…

Anyway, street salesman is actually a good idea for a background for a starting criminal. It’s the kind of business that inevitably gets drawn into dealing with the local illegal authorities.

2 Likes

After looking again in my Oxford dictionary what in Spanish is panties it is not in English. Here panties are tights, or long socks. So sorry if I sounded more naughty that I should lol. Also door to door salesman is what I am trying to say. Just one of the sly ones.

5 Likes

Haha, thanks for the clarification.

5 Likes

@Vendetta I had actually an suggestion, in the older version I’m not sure if this has been changed but the Black Hand member had more Cologini than the ww2 soldier, and the soldier had more intimidation that the Black hand member, I think it would be better if the this was reversed as extensive hand to hand combat was a big part of ww2 to the point were various hand made weapons were made, as well the fact that the soldier himself has crossed no man’s land assuming through barbed wire, artillery, and machine gun fire something vs Criminal who using threats and blackmail and extortion that require much bigger cologini

4 Likes

Wondering what the Nurse’s stats will be.

1 Like

Probably good with her figures

1 Like

@Vendetta I have a question, why the political bagman background start with only one hundred eighty dollar doing favorsand deals with important and ( probabbly ) more rich people when the black hand background start with three hundred only extorting and shanking people? it should not be the other way around?

1 Like

Being good with money falls under Business and the Union Organizer’s job is described as being recruitment and organization. Whilst the former does require Persuasion, the later depends on Leadership, and looking at the origin’s name, it seems this function is dominant.

@lokidemon007
Same as the Soldier’s.

In context, “organization” is recruitment. “Organizing a union” is another word for recruitment - it means getting the workers at a particular workplace to agree on what they’re joining together for. Which is partly leadership but much more persuasion.

3 Likes

Ah, okay, I didn’t know that. The description, however, as stated above, is “you work as a recruiter and organizer”. I assume that in this context, organizer retains its original meaning, since it would otherwise be redundant.
What’s more, looking at the other origin(s) in question, the Grifter definitely sounds like a character who mainly uses persuasion. Since every origin has a different stat as its best, it would make sense to switch it for these two.

1 Like

Bacgrounds aren’t just a bunch of stat points is part of a story and what your character has been and,could become.
Say than a con artist is the same that a union recruiter because both are persuasive is a bit far fetch. lol then i suppose a military and a black hand member are same because both are good with weapons :wink: I understand what are you saying and is good have very different stats but persuasive same as firearms is logic that are part several origins

3 Likes

In addition to what @poison_mara said, these Backgrounds are nothing more than jumping off points. If you want to turn your College brat err … spoiled child, err … naive innocent into an assassin that sets up Murder Inc., I am pretty sure @Vendetta will allow you to do so.

Even in the old beta, it was real easy to use skills and approaches that were outside the starting norm. As @idonotlikeusernames points out early in the thread, he has constantly shaped his MC into his vision.

Flexibility is a mainstay of the game from the beginning. Backgrounds are more for roleplaying flavor and enjoyment and it is this reason that the planned expansions are focused on them; to develop individual stories that we all can call our own, even if we all chose to be Flappers … errr x-rated pole dancers … errr Burlesque dancers :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

7 Likes

@Eiwynn
I’m not saying the Grifter/College Student and Suffragette/Union Organizer are the same, I’m pointing out the differences between their methods and asking about an odd stat distribution. It’s not a big deal, but I thought it should be noted.

4 Likes

True, but I’ll never forget the humiliation of the Soldier (and presumably Black Hand member, though I could never muster the interest to play one of those) having to be a follower in Dino’s gang, ugh! My main, college kid mc and even my seconds, including the political bagman simply make a better plan and take over the crew then and there.
That said I am probably going to try a soldier pacifist run in the new beta, though it would be more one of those more gamey, challenge-y playthroughs that I don’t expect the game to be particularly optimized for.

Don’t forget intimidation to brow-beat the hold-out “American-dream” libertarians into unionizing. But, yeah, Union Organizer at least has enough Leadership skills to best Dino, which is more than what the soldier could muster at that early junction.

4 Likes

Seems to me like Dino’s gang isn’t meant for a veteran soldier, anywho. A veteran that aspires to be a leadership-focused character would probably be best learning the ropes from Uncle Chuck and becoming his heir apparent. Hopefully Uncle Chuck will have the good sense to step down without the MC needing to cripple his legs. Family is family but business is business, after all.

Alternatively, become an elite and dangerous trigger(wo)man for Ginelli.

4 Likes

Or don’t do any of that and focus on business instead. Besides now that it is a primary background there will be new options specifically for the soldier so we cannot entirely base it on the old beta. Though I suppose doing a pacifist run with the soldier will not be easy, but then I did say I viewed it as a challenge and that character would lean more to the gamey side and less to the roleplaying one for me.

This is not a @Cataphrak game, so while I expect it will be challenging to make the soldier a pacifist and will involve some missed opportunities to play to the character’s starting skills I also expect that it can ultimately have some measure of success given Vendetta’s extraordinary flexibility for a choice game.

4 Likes

Years of min-maxing Sabres of Infinity characters has thoroughly warped my mind. :flushed:

2 Likes