Tin Star testing

@mrt39 I KNOW RIGHT? I hateeeeee playing mean characters, it makes me so uncomfortable and I always end up feeling so bad and yeah usually holding back tears seeing the terrible things my character does. It just makes me hate my character and I have to love my character in order for a game to be enjoyable.

1 Like

@alleykae -I understand your view on wanting to play good/nice characters. I tended to do that too. At least until I played the most recent Bard’s Tale game, wherein sarcasm invariably paid off.

@mrt39 -Yeah, it is more than just killing the three companions. IIRC, Schmidt’s betrayal occurs when you capture and then execute the Red Ribbon miners or else have a romantic falling out with him. He is far more morally gray than Ben Carson but not as ready to reach for a gun as Miss Caraway.

1 Like

Got this error months ago. I think I’m the only person with this problem.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention it was after I finished Chapter 2.

Is the error with lion on the train scene repeating a known bug?

I had it happen two playthroughs and I brought different companions each time.

@Phoenix_The_Pirate - A 404 error? Never heard of it happening before this. Sounds browser related. Probably outside of my limited expertise. Has it happened again since then?

@Shockbolt -Which part of the scene repeats? I can readily take a look at the code… code I was supposed to get around to patching in a couple of places before life unloaded on me. I do appreciate any direction you can give on the matter as my brain is no longer wired firmly for Tin Star.

1 Like

Yeah it appeared again two days ago. I’ll just refresh my browser since I’m the only one.

The part where you shoot one lion, and then knock the other off the train.

It goes back to there being another lion for you to deal with in a loop that always leads to a death, which then moves you beyond that point.

@shockbolt -That can indeed happen. Apparently the two lions are confused at one point and death is the only answer. So, I’m going to fix that with the next patch. :slight_smile:

@Phoenix_The_Pirate Hmm. It does seem like that problem is browser based. No idea how to fix it. I hope this doesn’t put you off the game.

1 Like

@AllenGies

I played through it again and got the same double lion issue, any updates on when the patch might go live?

Also I found an issue where I died at the bear scene one time and in the summary it said there were two blemishes on my legend grading.

Oh, and I dunno if this has been answered before but what’s the highest number of legend points you can get?

Finally finished my first playthrough and I must say, there’s so much humor in the game between Dan and Carrie. I really liked them hahaha. Very well done :smiley:

Will there be a sequel with the same MC and characters?

@shockbolt - There is a bit of trouble with the patch. I had wanted to put in a few things about playing an African-American character, but other projects drew me away. There was no point submitting half a patch and so that languished. It may be possible to clean things up soon though so that only the coding errors can be accounted for. The bear thing will also be looked into. Should just be a duplicate +1 to recording a death.

As for the highest legend points possible? That’s a good question. There is, of course, a theoretical maximum, but that isn’t necessarily obtainable during game-play.

@RanchoJoe -Thanks. I am glad their chemistry came through when they appeared together. As for a sequel, there have been some ideas but nothing has gelled yet. Has anything popped into your head?

1 Like

Honestly? As much as I’d love for my MCs to be back for more, I think it’d be hard to pull off. The epilogue already wrapped things up very nicely for their stories and the different endings for Preston Springs and its people could vary widely.

Maybe the sequel could be like Dragon Age 2, where the story takes place in another place and the events of first game is merely mentioned in passing? That way it would acknowledge the player’s choices while freeing the sequel from being too reliant on them.

Minor thing I noticed when attempting a maximal-murder playthrough: In tin_star_chapter_5, if you kill the false marshal at your first meeting (lines ~1250 or ~1300), it doesn’t set the fate_of_steele variable. I noticed it when talking to Hungry Snake and the Uptons in their cave, recounting your past actions; without that set, when you tell them what happened to Steele, you just get “They listen as you”

Also, there’s at least a couple little glitches with the whole thing with Carson’s herd of cattle - I’ve noticed odd behavior from it on multiple playthroughs, but ironing out the exact causes in the code has been difficult. One seems to be in chapter 2, line 516; this is selling the herd back to the Big Bell ranch, which sets the herd variable to 3 among most of the choices, but on this one choice sets it to 0 instead, indicating that the herd is gone entirely without giving any recompense.

Another one can happen in the chapter 4 interlude, based on events in chapter 7, due to the fact that the ‘herd’ variable is reused in chapter 7 to represent how far behind the raiders you are. If it happens to end up at 2 or 3 in that chapter, then in chapter 4 interlude, you can spontaneously acquire a new herd of cattle, or else hear from Donner about how you sent them on to Big Bell.

Hi

I would like to know if ben carson is a love interest or not ?

Thanks for answer or sorry if it has already been said

To the best of my knowldge, no, Ben Carson isn’t a romance option. He has a wife, and doesn’t want to cheat on her.

ok thanks you :slightly_smiling:

I saw a “start romance” option with Carson one of the times when I got his meter over 100.

There’s still the bug where an angry Carrie appears out of nowhere after the railhead war and you have no choice but to duel her.

The nitroglycerin fairly smokes as you pull it from its hay shrouded box; ready to go off at the slightest bump. With a steady hand you heave it into the air. It flies straight and true as it falls amid the enemy ranks.

A bright white light flashes and is immediately followed by a thunderous boom. When at last you can see again; the few enemies that remain take to their heels and flee for their lives. All around you, the rail-men cry out a whoop of victory and charge out after them. Left behind in the camp are the injured and dying.

With hardly a man lost, the rail-men count their blessings for your leadership.

Carrie strides past the wounded and fallen alike. Her glower is fit to burst into flames as she fixes it upon you. In both her hands she holds readied pistols. “I hope you are warmed up,because I’m hotter than hell. If you’ve got any last words, now’s the time.”

Note that there’s an extra two blank lines in between those last two paragraphs.

1 Like

Not sure that’s a bug, per se. It’s a bit of an abrupt transition, but it looks like companions are supposed to confront you there, if you’ve made enemies of them. Unless you mean she shouldn’t be an enemy?

I mean that, first off, there’s three carriage returns instead of one. Second, because you’re suddenly thrown into a fight on her terms, which is not supposed to happen in this kind of confrontation. You’re supposed to have a chance to run and talk to anger her instead of being forced to fight her gunfighting skill to gunfighting skill.