Tin Star testing

Looks like I’ll have to take up the shootn’ irons again… :wink:

@AllenGies

I found something:

After I killed Harry, than I threw Larry and Jeff into jail, I said “Tell you what Larry, I’ll take a stipend to keep the peace between everyone”.

Then when I went to take my money, Harry gave me a pouch if gold. How did he survive?

Edit:

Also, something I don’t understand:

Why do I have the option to tell Hayworth that Hartigan will attack him? I killed Hartigan in his hideout.

Edit #2

If we parley with Many Falling Rocks, and choose to pull out our pistols, shouldn’t Many Falling Rocks get killed?

Edit #3

I found a bug:

When I decided to attack Preston Springs, I choose to attack the General Store before doing anything else. Then its mentioned that Matthew ran away.

Then in the Epilogue, it was said that Matthew was killed defending his store from bandits.

Edit #4:

If we arrested Tumbleweed Jack, and we didn’t release/hang/place him in Carson City prison, shouldn’t he freeze to death in Elko? It was mentioned here:

“I need to contact Carson City to put Tumbleweed Jack into the prison there before winter comes and kills him.”

@Bloodwyche -Thanks for returning to the saddle. What you find, I can fix. And speaking of that…

@NJG -All of those are good catches. Harry’s death really should stick, it sets a bad precedent otherwise. Matthew’s bit should be an easy fix, as should be Many Falling Rocks. Tumbleweed might more be extensive though, but I should be able to figure out what went wrong.

I appreciate you finding those bugs. One day I hope to be able to let Tin Star be, but that day has not yet come.

@AllenGies

(Please note: I’m playing the iPad version of Tin Star)

Basically, tell Tumbleweed that the Marshalls aren’t US Marshals, then arrest him, and don’t send a telegraph about him. He’s gonna freeze to death in Elko.

No problem. I’m just doing my job as a game player and beta tester. :sunglasses:.

Also, if the starting hostage is the MC’s land, what kind of land is it? A farm? A house?

I’ve been meaning for a while to finally complete another plauthrough of this game, and always got started and maybe a decent way through but then I’d get busy and be distracted for a bit. Finally I had several days off of work, all to myself, so I decided it was finally time to dig in and see this game through to the end again. And wow, my mind was blown a second time, I completely forgot just how amazing and immersive of a game this is, even as my second complete playthrough I was so thrilled with this game. And all in all I’m really happy with how my game turned out, my ending couldnt have been much better though I do somewhat regret my decision to not romance anyone this time around. If I were to play again (which who am I kidding, I absolutely will) I would romance Schmidt later on in the game since I really enjoy his character, but haven’t actually finished to the end any of the games with him as my romance. I’m really happy with how my stats were by the end of the game, a lot more well rounded than my first plauthrough as far as skills go, however if I remember correctly my honor, law, and order stats are much higher in this most recent game. Anyways, here are my stats for my second complete playthrough!

Miss Ada Holloway:
Traits: Has an unusual bullet scar.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Miss Caraway, gunslinger.
Health: Bursting with vigor.
Wealth: Broke.
Values:
Order: 63% Freedom: 37%
Honor: 100% Arbitrary: 0%
Law: 87% Individuality: 13%
Notoriety: 8% Anonymity: 92%
Skills:
Gunfighting: 74%
Sharpshooting: 69%
Brawling: 50%
Riding: 44%
Survival: 58%
Legal: 20%
Engineering: 22%
Explosives: 53%
Persuasion: 77%
Intimidate: 33%
Stamina: 44%
Resolve: 69%
Influence_Carson: 89%
Influence_Schmidt: 116%
Influence_Caraway: 108%
Influence_Preston: 90%
Influence_Hartigan: 62%
Influence_Albion: 60%
Influence_Maria: 71%
Influence_Marshal_James: 85%
Influence_Yiska: 94%

2 Likes

@AllenGies

I found a typo:

With a flick of fingertips he removes the covering. A green egg egg lies beneath. A simple press cracks the shell to reveal a dark, dusky egg beneath. Upon its surface there are delicate patterns as though pine needles had rested there for a time. A cotton thread proves sufficient to cut the egg into pieces and expose a darker runny yolk beneath.

That happens when you ask Wong Dai Choi to check his green eggs.

Edit:

Also, there’s no way to convince Preston to speak in the MC’s behalf in the Tin Star Trial.

@alleykae - Thanks for making another run at things. 100% Honor… was that difficult? High persuasion and gunfighting, a reliable combination. But did it make things too easy in places? I can always take a look at play balance.

@NJG -Double egg, got it. No way to convince Preston to Speak at the Tin Star trial… I believe I omitted his presence because it was too disruptive to the narrative flow and also that Preston didn’t want to be seen directly taking sides because he would back whichever Marshal emerged victorious.

Now, the MC can say they’ve got Preston’s backing and people will take that at face value. Hmm, perhaps I should invoke the MC’s honor score here… Certainly something to think about. Thank you.

@AllenGies

Having high honor will certainly help. I also think that if MC’s arrangement is at the highest level (I think it’s 4) then people would be more willing to believe that.

And a typo:

At town’s edge lies Jeff Donner’s butcher shack. The big man himself, his usual bloody apron wrapped up tight, can be seen inside. He gives a little dispirited wave. Even though you put Henry Winthrop in jail, the rumor campaign against the butcher seems to have continued.

This happened after I threw Harry in jail.

And I’ve 2 questions:

1. If we choose to kill everyone in Red Ribbon in chapter 3, why does the Yiska influence go down? Shouldn’t he be happy that a Shoshone enemy is gone?

2. How did fake marshal Steele get his star?

“gone” is good. Slaughtered, not so much.

@NJG
Considering the Red Ribbon is on Shoshone land, Yiska also would figure his people would take the blame.

1 Like

@Lys and @Elfwine

Oh. So that’s why. I never realized that.

how is killing mostly innocent miners ever a good thing

Because then you get to steal all their shit.

1 Like

If you have to kill someone to take their shit, you’re not a very good thief.

Leaving aside all the other issues.

I never said I was a good thief.

Really though, it’s just too good to pass up. I usually play as a good person but its just worth too much money too pass up.

I think I’ll try and solve it differently next time though since I’ve never really gone with the other options.

Those miners don’t really care about other people. Why, if the dam breaks and floods Preston Springs, well, that’s deadly.

Plus, those shits destroyed Yiska’s legal paper, captured Yiska, running away from their responsibilities, possibly are guilty for the attempted murder of Preston Springs, resisting arrest, and possibly threatening a U.S. Marshal.

Oh, and hydraulic mining kills the environment (although people during that time don’t know that).

So I was very happy when we had an option to obliterate them and take their stuff.

And if you fight them in Chapter 6 (I think), I always get their stuff since I’ll be blamed for its loss regardless of what happens to it.

@NJG -The Henry/Harry mistake happens several times. Glad you caught it.

As for the moral dilemma involved with the Red Ribbon miners… yeah, its a moral dilemma. How you solve it shows something about the Marshal involved. On a personal level I’d be like @Elfwine or @Lys , but I deliberately put in other options as @Verand noted. I mean, it is a lot of money. Also, as @NJG noted, there are other considerations ranging from respect of the law, to being a bastard, to ruination of the environment to the point where it directly harms others, etc.

Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea, that about the only time in the game I place my wallet over my morals and only because, if I’m remembering right, they were kinda dicks too.

1 Like

Oh my goodness totally thought I responded to this, guess I wasn’t remembering correctly lol. Well, I didn’t find the 100% honor score hard cause that’s just how I always play my characters, in fact I find it vastly harder to make those choices that would lower my honor. I like to play characters that have a good sense of humanity and always try to do the right thing even when it costs them. Every time I attempt to play a less nice character it bugs me so much, I’m so pathetic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The high gunfighting and persuasion scores WERE a good combination, and did seem to serve my character well, however I wouldn’t say things ever felt too easy, the stakes still seemed high and I always felt like I never knew what could happen next.

2 Likes

@alleykae Haha, the same. Ended up with having 100 honor and 90ish law in my first playthrough. I am currently on an achievement run and taking the evil route. I hardly keep myself crying while I’m killing the innocents and so on lol.

BTW, @AllenGies I managed to kill all three of the companions in the same playthrough, but the achievement didn’t unlock. I guess it’s more than just killing them, with saying ‘betray’. I couldn’t find any way to ‘betray’ Schmidt, though. He was okay with the mining site massacre and the stagecoach betrayal. Am I missing something?

1 Like