Tin Star testing

@AllenGies, when the MC buys a saddle for Carrie, there’s no option to give it to her later on, or at least I haven’t come across it :confused:

Also, maybe there could be a fourth option implemented here?

-Really lay into Preston for all he did and didn’t do.
-I am bothered by Preston just now and can’t hide it.
-Let it go. Preston is not worth it.
-Let it go. It doesn’t bother me.

@daemonofrazgriz821 -Marrying Regina has several prerequisites; you must be male because the Elder Upton wants heirs (For marrying Reginald you must be female), you must give up your other romantic entanglements (No additional scandals), and lastly you’ll need to have fairly high skills. Persuasion, Legal Understanding, Engineering, Explosives, Survival, and Brawling are particularly prized during the discussion.

There are several ways to reach that section. The renegade route does have it, provided you don’t kill Regina of course. The Lackey route is easier. Any other method leaves the Upton family relatively destitute and the Elder Upton has no interest in marrying his sons and daughters off to the person who foiled his plans.

If you are having trouble convincing Hungry Snake to back your Renegade or Lackey effort, remember that he and Hartigan have brushed up against the Main Character before and that they also hear rumors about how this new marshal acts in regards to Law, Order, and Honor. Hartigan prizes Honor, but the other two can go hang.

@122B - I know I put in a place for Miss Caraway’s saddle, likely in one of the romantic sections.At least, it should be there.

The addition of a fourth option along the lines of ‘This really doesn’t bother me’ certainly fits. I’ll see about adding it.

1 Like

I offered to help them plunder the stagecoach and asked for a share of the gold, so I’m not sure this is the right response:

“Figured as much,” Hartigan nods. "And given what you’re offering, that’ll work nicely. “But you’ll have to get your hands dirty if you want a cut.”

“Maria,” a stern voice cracks out like a whip as a lean fellow with more scars and years than hair strides out from where the bulk of a nearby steed had hidden him. “You are far too familiar with this man. We know nothing of them.” (him?)

But the play doesn’t stop there. It heads into the future in something called a phalanstrey where Adam and Eve work as chemists.

Buffalo hides always sell well. Especially since you have a a connection with the Tannery.

“On second though, I would not want to deprive you of your business tools.”

“I wish I’d never know you. Never,” Dan says.

Dan eases forward and whispers, “Careful Robert, he’s got the killing eye. Don’t know why he stopped though.” (Dan should be dead-he was shot by Carrie in Chapter 8)

Reginald draws in a breath in preparation to call to help but a pistol shoved against his gut dissuades him.

Also, @AllenGies, is it possible to have more than one companion in Chapter 3?

@122B - Hmm. Those definitely need fixing. Thank you. Especially the phalanstrey bit. Admittedly the mis-spelling is partially due to the very nature of the Hungarian play I researched, but I certainly wouldn’t have caught it otherwise.

Still laboring on other projects before I return to Tin Star for a patch, but when I do I know it will come out better.

Also, I may make it so that the MC can discard a prior pet and take the snake as an option. It seems too difficult to get otherwise.

1 Like

It’s an evil idea, but maybe an evil MC could feed the snake (if they’re coming across it after running away from the Indians) their pet mouse as a way of saying ‘don’t bite me! Want to be my new pet? Here, have my old pet!’ lol. Or maybe the MC could come across a snake slithering up behind their pet mouse outdoors and choose to either shoot it to protect their mouse or, deciding to adhere to a Darwinist train of thought, let the snake eat it, and then adopt the snake.

And I asked about Chapter 3 because I came across some text concerning the naming of Carson’s child (with the possibility of them being named after the MC) in the game’s code, where Schmidt could also be present and comment (like, ‘you gonna name him Schimdt?’). I’d thought the MC could only have one companion in that particular section, so I thought I’d just let you know.

Also, do you think that you might do any more stories where Tin Star is concerned? You’ve created many interesting, colourful characters in this game…I mean, there’s characters like Preston, Hartigan, Schmidt, Carson, Yiska, Tumbleweed and more, that I’d pay to see featured in more games. Have you ever considered doing something like ‘Tin Tales of the West’ as a kind of spin-off collection of stories to the main game, where you have the back-stories and (mis)adventures of characters such as Tumbleweed, Hartigan and Preston (and I guess there could be plenty of ‘guest-starring’ characters like Caraway and Yiska, if they don’t have stories of their own featured). But anyway, Preston coming to own and build up his ‘empire’, Hartigan’s banditry and the conflicts within both his own family and his gang, Tumbleweed bumbling about the West getting into trouble, Yiska on a case in which a fellow Indian is on trial…plenty of potential material there.

I guess what I’m thinking of is maybe more suited to the world of fan-fiction, but I for one would love to see you do this one day.

3 Likes

@122B -That bit with the mouse is an interesting, if decidedly evil, idea. Wish I’d thought of it, but with your permission I’ll certainly use it. :slight_smile:

In chapter 3 some of the text might be recycled from another chapter when more companions are available. I made some of it modular to account for bringing different characters along at different times. Since it doesn’t hurt anything, I didn’t bother to scrub it clean. I might do that in the edit, if I can find the time for the blasted thing. Things are a little hectic now.

As for more stories, that is always a possibility. My initial thought is that it would assume that the MC stayed on as Marshal in Lander County… though it wouldn’t need to I suppose as you could take on many a role and still interact with those characters in fun ways. Certainly bears some thought.

1 Like

I just wanted to say I liked how you mentioned Jalisco, Mexico in the game. My dad is from there, and idk I felt connected to the game if that makes sense? Lol also whenever I play sometimes i think of Tombstone, Arizona and the times that I’ve been there (: I’m not sure if you’ve been there already, but if not I’m sure you would love it! (: Thanks again for creating Tin Star! (: @AllenGies

Hey, random idea - do you have any landscapes from your time in Jalisco? If we all pooled our photos together, maybe we could create a supplemental travelogue to Tin Star. A fanart collection would also be a fun idea. I’ll have to draw a Preston to get the ball rolling.

Not that Tin Star needs images to be awesome, but it would help prove how much people love it.

1 Like

@MarvelousMatty -It does make sense to feel connected to places you’ve never been but heard about via family. I had a similar experience with Michener’s book, ‘Poland’, years before I ever visited there. If you felt the same about the state of Jalisco via ‘Tin Star’ then I take that as a high compliment indeed.

@Sashira -That would be a very interesting informal collection. You don’t exactly need my blessing, but you certainly have it.

1 Like

Oh I’ve been over there twice:o haha (x the last time i went was 3 years ago i think:o but yeah i get would you mean! (: When i first played Tin Star & saw that you mentioned Jalisco, it just brought back a lot of memories of the time i spent over there it was nice(: & like you said it just made me feel connected & that’s why i just wanted to say thank you for writing it, & just overall thank you for creating “Tin Star” (: I know it probably isn’t a big deal but idk it just meant a lot to me that you mentioned Jalisco (: so for that i thank you lol & aahh sorry if this is a really long post/: @AllenGies

1 Like

@AllenGies First, I loved Tin Star. I’ve only made one contiguous playthrough (read-through?), but I see many more in my future.

I have few questions. What does the Legal stat modify? I ended the game with a Legal stat of 62%, which I imagine in pretty high, but it seemed like I never used it? (Or maybe it saved my butt a few times and I didn’t know?)

In regards to Achievements:

In all the dialogue options, I never revealed my name (which, by the way I thought was a pretty clever Marshal Mann Slaughter). I let companions introduce me, introduced myself as “The Marshal of Lander County”, and where possible just stared them down. Yet, I did not receive “The Nameless Marshall” achievement. I’m wondering how to go about getting it.

I feel dumb asking this. Maybe i should just do a playthrough without a romance to find out, but the “Love to Love” achievement tip reads “you have been restrained in your romances.” The title of the achievement leads me to believe that that should read unrestrained?

To get this achievement, your Notoriety needs to be 0. It is very tough to do, but possible. I know I made use of the Chapter saves to make sure I picked the appropriate non-name recognition choices.

@ninetoe -Glad you liked Tin Star and I hope that you will be able to find additional paths to enjoy.

The Legal skill can be important, but only in certain circumstances. Sixty-two percent is… really high. If you wanted to try to assume the Upton family fortune and legacy, that kind of score would do it. It also helps in some other areas, but all in all the law is pretty flexible out west and people matter more than paper.

As for the Nameless Marshal, @Lys coves that part very well. It is in fact very tough to acquire as it requires a legend of greater than eighteen and a notoriety of less than five.

The Love to Love achievement tip is accurate if I recall correctly as achieving it means breaking the hearts of at least three of the five major love interests. That is not terribly difficult, but it may not be emotionally appealing for some.

@Lys -Well done on earning Nameless. I wasn’t fully certain that it could be done. I mean, I tried to make certain there was a low notoriety road, but sometimes I lost sight of that particular thread when weaving together the story.

Thanks :slight_smile: To be honest, it was the second hardest achievement for me to get. One key is to try and be laid back, depending on the scenario of course. I’ll have to re-earn it since Choice of Games did something which wiped all my achievements.

It is a shame you didn’t include a couple other achievements in the ‘official’ list…like riding a bear.

Heck, sometimes I still get minor surprises like the electric marshall or a snake as a pet.

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/majorly-stuck-on-tin-star/2586/44?u=judyrp

@Rubyredx04

@AllenGies First of all, I would like to congratulate for this piece of work. I had the greatest fullfillment I haven’t had in any other games.

There is something, possibly a bug I would like to share, in order to contribute. I have the Steam version, and at the part when you’re out for the telegraph post, to gain info for confronting Steele, even though I haven’t waited for the answer of the president, I had the choice of showing the president’s telegraph as an evidence in front of the crowd. So it appeared as an evidence I had, even though I hadn’t. The last I waited for was the telegraph from the Treasury.

And I have been into two playthroughs so far but as I haven’t had the opportunity in either, I would like to know how do you get to the point that you are capable of hanging Marshall James? I mean, I couldn’t even had the smallest conflict with him. You are just getting along when he shows up alive, to stop the attack on the railroad.

@judyrp -Sorry for the late reply. As usual, life gets in the way. The Yiska Maria connection comes about, IIRC, if you are attempting to romance both of them at the same time and things come to a head. Obviously there should be way to nudge them towards each other, but at present there is not because I lost track of the sub-sub plot. My apologies.

@mrt39 - I’m glad you are enjoying the game. Hearing that always makes me feel good.

I’ll take a look at the telegraph trouble. Its just one variable for that, so it should be easy to find in the code.

As for the other thing, you need to travel the renegade route. When you track down the ‘Indians’ at the painted caves, figure out a way to get in and talk to the Uptons. They may, depending on your character and prior actions, offer you a chance to work for them. Saying yes, and following through during subsequent chapters, will bring you toward the Lackey ending. Betraying the Uptons and usurping their little army for yourself puts you on the Renegade path. From there you can earn that achievement you were looking for.

@Lys - Sorry to hear that your achievements got wiped, but I am happy you are still able to go about re-earning them without it feeling like an utter chore. As for those hidden bits… I purposefully kept a few spoiler caliber achievements off the official list lest they give away too much story for no return. If I knew a way to code in an unlock for those hidden achievements after the first play-through, I’d do that.

Not sure where else to put this but since this thread seems active…

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has suddenly started detecting the Chrome version of Tin Star as a potentially unwanted program (PUP.Optional.WildWest.A) for some reason. Just a heads up.

EDIT: I reported the detection and they say it will be fixed.

@AllenGies, I found something weird:

I told Timothy to make a saddle for Maria then he said:

“She’s…a lady, like a noble lady?” Timothy asks as if tasting every syllable. “Well, I ain’t never made a saddle for a woman. But like my daddy used to say, if you don’t try things that’s hard, then easy ain’t never gonna come.”

Why does Timothy say that he never made a saddle for a woman? In the last interlude, I bought a saddle for Miss Caraway.

Edit:

Also, when I shot Steele, then captured him, in the Epilogue, when I tried to track down the Upton mastermind, I don’t have the option to interrogate him.

@NJG -That’s a good point about the saddles. Even better, it only needed to be fixed in two places smile I’ve also fixed the not-being-able-to-interrogate Steele in Chapter 10. It seems I was off on a variable and needed to encompass a four instead of just a three. Also an easy fix.

@122B -The mouse bit about feeding it to your new pet snake was interesting. I don’t know how I’d code that in quite yet, but when I put it in should open up the path for serpentine friendship a little more.

And speaking of putting things in, I have a new patch on Tin Star that I’d like to briefly test for about a week. Lots of little changes and suggestions incorporated, though it is still not the content expansion that I had wanted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89217689/Tin%20Star%20test/web/mygame/index.html

Edit: Had to fix a congruity error. Little bit of a hiccup.