The year I became me WIP POLL post 45

Hey all, I am excited to announce my WIP: The year I became me (working title).

–WHY THE GAME?
This game is going to be my senior project since in Italy apart from finals, it looks like everyone should present some project which is based on your experiences, otherwise my IT teacher is going to gut me like a fish.
I thought I could be able to work on a WIP here because I have some basic programming skills and I’ve been thinking about it for a while.

–WHAT IS THIS GAME ABOUT?
It’s about your last year in high school and all the stress related to finals and being accepted to univeristy (which is going to be Med School), part from that you can hang with your friends, date cute girls, manage to get by in school and try to survive family events.

UPDATE JUNE 30th
https://dashingdon.com/play/popi/the-year-i-became-me/mygame/index.php?cb=29319
What do you think?

31 Likes

I really like the title. It’s extremely gripping and makes me want to know more about the game. Still, I’m not sure that one page is enough to count as a demo. Looking forward to seeing more though. :yum:

5 Likes

Sorry about that, I guess I messed up already :smiley:
I’m glad you liked the WIP so far.

2 Likes

As @Avery_Moore said, I am looking forward to more content. The idea seems like a good one.

4 Likes

Awwww thanks for your reply :smiley:

1 Like

You didn’t mess up, it’s just that right now there’s not really enough of the game for me to get a decent idea of what the game will be like.

2 Likes

seems like an interesting game idea. very excited to play it when finished.

1 Like

The idea sounds great. Idea- if we’re going to med school maybe we already have a few skills we can use to impress that jerk jock or cute cheerleader with a twisted ankle? :wink:

2 Likes

Since the MC is going to be based on myself there won’t be boys :P. And the MC is going to be AFAB so you can pick any gender orientation. Boys are a no go. As for the MC, I could change my mind. Dunno yet. But yeah, sure you’ll have some cool skills

2 Likes

That’d be cool. Show off our skills for our date. Or get the Jock’s respect when we help them because they got injured or something.

2 Likes

Reqs- that’s what I was thinking. Been reading a book about a black girl medic in ww2. Running gag where racism and sexism don’t matter when you need a doc.

No boys allowed? Not sure if I approve of that as someone used to inclusion and interchangeable gender in games, but it’s your story. Not even sure what AFAB means to be honest.

Edit- Just looked it up. I understand now. Advice- never assume all your readers will be like you. It is usually not a good idea to force your experiences on them. But if you’re hoping to promote tolerance and inclusion with your story, good luck.

4 Likes

you see, the thing I’m trying to do with this story is to cope with everything that is going on about your life, and plot wise, the MC is into girls so the MC has to face a lot of stuff about that, that’s because the MC is AFAB(assigned female at birth). I am just trying to put a lot on the MC’s shoulders and the focus of the game is trying not to break your back. There won’t be any boy as love interests, but there will be cool gals, and the MC can identify as you wish.
This story focuses on the struggles of growing up as a queer person in Italy and all the stuff related to university plans and future in general.
in the end, sorry if you felt in any way offended, I didn’t mean to.

2 Likes

Thx for the further explanation. It makes more sense now. As someone with an Italian gay brother I understand what you have in mind and might enjoy playing it. Even though I’m straight male myself I sometimes can get into playing as female, gay, or even non-binary in games. But it’s easier when gender identity is not forced on the player IMO and you can pick gender of love interests- although you don’t always have to tell players up front they’re a possible love interest. Planning to make that tough guy into an Amazon next run can add replay value. Or vice versa. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh! When you said “there won’t be boys” I thought you meant the MC went to an all girl’s school :yum:

… Side-note. Maybe the MC could go to an all girl’s school That would explain why there are no male love interests. :grin:

2 Likes

Not necessarily. There was a girls’ college near my alma mater, and it never seemed short of male visitors (partly because their cafeteria was arguably better, but still).

Anyway. Certainly an interesting concept. Student stress is something we can all identify with.
Rather disappointed by the limited character customization, but it’s your project.

Will we be given the option to play as a person of color? It could be an interesting exploration of how race is treated in Italy.

2 Likes

Being a POC is a thing I did not think about, so thx for pointing that out, dunno yet tho, this is just the beginning of the game. And I’ll probably add some customization as regards physical traits like hair and things like that. Plus the school is not an all girls’ college, otherwise what would happen to MC’s best friend? :smiley:

Hey @Popi. Glad to see this project taking off, and am definitely looking forward to more.

1 Like

Interesting, a game with no magic or supernatural things. Im not really confortable playing a carácter attracted to females but just wanted to say the game sounds interesting :blush: good luck

4 Likes

Physical customization is good, but I was actually more concerned by the gender-locking on the ROs. But again, it’s your work, so I won’t press the issue.

Good luck. And I appreciate your willingness to consider racial issues.

2 Likes

This sounds really interesting :slight_smile: . I’d like to read another interactive novel, there’s not too many on the site really, they definitely have a different appeal to game books. Though do bear in mind it means it will be a niche story and will hinder it’s popularity probably, for example divided we fall is amazing, but doesn’t get talked about anywhere near as much as it should.

Also you said you can decide how your character identifies I think but is also queer? Sorry if it’s just me being thick but I don’t really get what you mean by this. But really looking forward to this :slight_smile: .

1 Like