The Winter Child (WIP) [small update 2 Dec '16]

Honestly, I found Sera extremely annoying…but then again, I hate small children in general, and the fact that she’s a brat doesn’t help.

My character is much more patient with her than I would be, but I still avoided the blizzard my first game, too. I had to start over to follow the railroad… -_-

3 Likes

I drew inspiration for Sera from my own little sibling. I guess they aren’t for everybody :hushed:

That makes at least three people who think walking into a potentially dangerous situation isn’t worthwhile :joy: Maybe I should just remove the avoid the blizzard option.

3 Likes

In my play through of the game saving Sera through the blizzard was the highest priority, and by the way its great to see that you’re actually making realistic characters for the story, like annoying younger siblings.
Maybe for the ‘avoid the blizzard option’ you could just control a few variables of the situation that will conclusively force them into the blizzard and main plot, whilst giving them the character build/personality and stats(if this effects the stats) that they desire for their MC. :sweat_smile: But this is all just a suggestion and please ignore it if you think its stupid!

3 Likes

I really like it so far! İ really like Sera. She’s like the little sister I never had before :’)

Oh well. Can’t wait for the next update!

1 Like

That’s actually a great idea! Thank you for your feedback:)

People who dislike Seraphina: There is a way you can survive the blizzard without her. Doing so will give you a different set of advantages and disadvantages later in the game.

But really? Why would you want to kill her off?

She just wants to help.:sweat:

1 Like

I don’t necessarily want to kill her. I just want her to leave me the heck alone so I don’t have to deal with her. She can go over there - far, far away from me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So speaking from my big brother instincts. Soon as I get the chance Jack is a dead man. Threaten me? Fine. We can shoot the fade and settle the score. Threaten my little sister, SEVERAL times? I don’t flipping care if it throws the seasons out of whack or creates a power vacuum, I bet the NEXT Jack won’t threaten my little sister.

Jack’s eminent demise aside, looking forward to the rest of the game. My sister is a brat, but they are at that age, which is why you have be patient and firm with them sometimes. So that was fun. I like Carrie/Cassie, I think we’re going to have a great time bullying the rest of the class. I got detention with the teacher, and that’s to be expected, I was late and I just eyeballed him. (Can’t let him punk me down in front of the whole class like that. Come on Teach…trying to ruin my rep in class? I’ll need a whole year and a growth spurt to bounce back from that! )

8 Likes

:joy::joy::grin: LOL thank you for your comment!

Don’t worry, you’ll get your chance to take out Jack. He’s a tough adversary, but not impossible. :grin: (Well, not for the MC. For other characters he’s pretty much untouchable.)

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t you play with your 5 year old sister in a creepy forest ? :smirk:

Well I didn’t , so guess who got the Responsible Sibling Award ? This guy ! :smile:

5 Likes

snort I think I’m going to add that in as an achievement.

Okay, I’m going to sleep. Replies will be a lot slower from now on. Thank you all for your interest in The Winter Child!

8 Likes

Haha , that’d be awesome ! :laughing:

Also I really like where this game’s heading , keep at it ! :wink:

1 Like

Very interesting so far, great job! :blush: I’m looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Possible error where just ‘MC’ appears instead of MC’s name: "MC, if you don’t pack faster I’m going to freeze this entire town over. "

1 Like

(What is sleep. Sleep is for the weak.)

That isn’t an error :smiling_imp: Jack refers to you as MC and will only call you by name if you get past a certain point in your relationship with him, much later in the game.

Why? You’ll just have to find out.

4 Likes

Ooh, and the plot thickens :grin:

2 Likes

I really like the plot of this game and it is written very well and I already sort of have a crush on Jack frost I hope you stick with it.

2 Likes

:blush::blush: oh wow, thank you!

A crush on Jack? He’ll definitely be flattered.

Okay I’m going to sleep for REAL this time. Goodnight!

2 Likes

Rest thy weary mind writer.

2 Likes

As annoying as she was, my character would still never leave her alone in the blizzard. (I mean, he might pretend to, just to scare her, but he’d never actually do it.) I did object to the fact that “She’s a cheeky little brat… but everybody loves her anyway.” It doesn’t help that the MC is almost punished for her actions (and only gets out of it because it’s Christmas).
Anyway, it’s a good start; good luck with the rest of the story.

6 Likes

Wah! This was so much fun! I don’t think it was too slow start at all! I felt immediately involved with the town with opening of a ghost stories. Then again, sitting around a bonfire with a group always makes me feel a sense of camaraderie. :joy:

Okay! So, is the belief stat something we’d WANT to increase? At first, I was all for increasing it because, well, in the hospital when I didn’t initially believe Jack was there, he was all blurry and wispy and it made me feel kind of bad. But then I remembered how he tried to kill me and my sister (and how many times he killed me through other playthroughs :pensive:) and was all for increasing my disbelief just to get him GONE… assuming that there’s a relationship. :sweat_smile:

Also, I became for increasing disbelief because I didn’t want to be all skittish like Andrew, and the belief stat had increased when I wanted to murder the boy… which generally doesn’t indicate a good thing… and because I kinda died when my belief increased exponentially (why DID it increase so much?)…

Then again, that may have had to do more with the fact that I ran away and left my sister in the blizzard. :joy:

Oh, small counting error right here:

The world is getting darker. Is the sun setting?

89…90…91…63…94…

Ah, you realise, somewhat belatedly. The sun had already set. The world isn’t getting darker. You’re just dying.

Speaking of dying, I love the scene that comes up when we die (plot point?). It makes me feel pretty satisfied with my death, tbh. :joy:

Btw, like @RingoStar said, the MC freaked me out quite a few times with some of the choices… :pensive:

One more thing! When we call Jack out on his bluff about the quota (and both siblings are still alive… :joy:), and it says that our relationship with him has increased but it doesn’t increase in the stats (omg, LOVE ME! :tired_face:)

I LOVE Seraphina (even though she’s taken both my time and gingerbread cookies :expressionless:) and Jack Frost (even… though… he has killed me… many times…), can’t wait to love Andrew and Cassie/Carrie, can’t wait to hate Mr. Anderson even more (how dare he try to give me detention before break)!

1 Like

Does anyone else realize that for now on whenever anyone says “Don’t let Jack Frost nip at your nose!” Their is either going to be that moment they cover their face and side step away from the winter spirit no one else can likely see with a glare, or trying really hard to not make colorful commentary on that statement/troll Jack with that saying just to see if it annoys him. Just and observation. XD

Love this story so far. It might just me being a big sister myself I immediately went into protective, tune out the most annoying traits mode. XD Not going to lie if anyone has ever been the older sibling. It’s pretty much their job to love you, and want to ruin your life just so they have your attention.

2 Likes