The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

It’s not a “title” in the same sense as being a regular king. Wight King describes a creature, of which there is only one at a time. Like Nazroth said, the first wight king was a woman, the term is used neutrally for every single wight king. In your mind you should separate the wight king as an entity from the wight king as a person.

You will be able to choose how your servants call you, they may call you “my queen” or whatever else.

I’m not sure I’m conveying what I mean well, tell me if you don’t understand.

“Wight king is wight king!”
He punches the table

20 Likes

Hi! So In in the battle with Asterius, the mc kept switching between paladin and templar when referring to Asterius. Is this supposed to be that way?

1 Like

Sort of, I don’t remember if I did it on purpose back then. But he is both a templar adjudicator and a paladin, the two things aren’t equivalent.

The templars are the private military of the Aquilean church, they can be anything from priests to thugs, to petty nobles and back to thugs. They act on church authority and its members don’t necessarily have any kind of power unlike paladins.

The paladins were an order of warriors of the light, which was assimilated by the templars after the civil war that happened just before the MC’s death. Their powers depend on the individual, but they are in general based on blessings, light magic and such.

Asterius was made an adjudicator by virtue of his talent, a high-ranking commander and agent with large amount of autonomy, their intended purpose is to keep order and peace in a particular region as well as seeking out and punishing important crimes.

13 Likes

Hmm, I smell corruption, pretty sure the church isn’t just all about goodness and justice

9 Likes

Thanks that clears up my confusion and also giving us a juicy piece of lore :grin:

1 Like

To be fair what church is even a little about goodness and justice? Religion rhymes with corruption in more ways than one.

The Aquilean church is old, and unlike wine, it’s only going worse as time goes on and the empire loses power and influence. The empire has been rotting away slowly, getting lost in delusions of grandeur, dogma and bigotry, seeing the world pass it by as it loses its status of continental power and greastest human nation. They refused to adapt, to grow, now they pay the price and blame anyone but themselves.

The church is only encouraging these behaviors, increasing its own power at expense of the state, to the point at which the church is the state. The throne of the emperor itself is now little more than an exhibit for a puppet wearing a crown. If the empire is a rotting oak, the church is mistletoe.

15 Likes

You know, I’m genuinely curious if you’d be interested in making a ko-fi or patreon account. I think ppl would be interested in helping out financially if you wanted to have more time put on writing. I def wouldnt be against being a patreon for you.

8 Likes

This might have the coolest intro of to WIP on this site, lots of action but also different choices and some cool characters!

2 Likes

This is something I’ve thought about and I’m interested in doing. But I don’t feel like I can ask you to donate money when it still takes me so long to release something. It would be great, it would help a lot and it would let me focus on writing without having to worry too much about finding a good job. If there is a lot of demand for a patreon or such, I might do it, so you people tell me what you think.

16 Likes

Parody? Like… Overlord? The video game. When do I get minions? Especially the greens?

I’d imagine in a world where gods actually intervene it might be different. It’s all fun and games till you actually get smited. Though I also think it’d be worse in a world where you had definite proof they actually existed but don’t intervene.

Can’t say I’d donate much, considering how strapped for cash I am but I’m all for it. Just make an earnest effort towards your goals.

7 Likes

It wouldn’t have been exactly like Overlord, but it would probably have been similar in tone and concept. There would definitely have been a “welcome to the bone zone” joke. And inept heroes… I mean, the average DnD group. Would they be murder hobos?

That’s not totally forgotten. At some point I’d like to write a story about being one of the few functional member of the army of an incompetent, moronic but powerful demon king. I’m not going to work on that soon, but it could be fun later.

I’d argue a world in which deities intervene directly in the lives of mortal on a regular basis would be so much worse. Not only do you have immortal entities ruling over your life, judging you and your every action from their comfy seat in their domain, they could punish anyone for no reason on their arbitrary terms, destroy entire cities on nothing more than a perceived slight, whimsically make life worse for everyone whether they do it consciously or not…

Whether they intervene or not, gods, real or not only make your life worse. At least that’s how I see gods, irrational, tantrum-throwing, self-rigtheous idiots with the power to make your life living hell.

Every donation helps, the act already means a lot to me.

10 Likes

Terumi best god. Can’t convince me otherwise.

Is it murder if they’re already dead?

The best henchmen.

5 Likes

This reminds me of Dark Souls

2 Likes

Hey people, you ever start writing a long, branching encounter and then realize “Wait no, this is way too soon what am I doing”. Well that person is me and I need to change some of it. :triumph:

I’ve worked on a draft I think I can show you for the new stats. Basically the reason why I wanted to work on this is that I don’t want to work with numerical stats anymore especially for personality. I think there shouldn’t be “personality checks” to pass a test in a dialogue or such. It doesn’t make much sense to me, and is too much of a potential “oh no I don’t have that 1 point in suave I need to convince the king, guess I’ll die” pitfall for my taste.

So I thought instead of focusing on “traits” or degrees, which together will make the personality of your character. We’ll only talk about personality since that’s what I worked on the most.

Traits will be earned by passing thresholds as different degrees toward one extreme and its opposite, and will be there to influence your character’s reactions and sometimes the choices you can make. The goal isn’t to lock you out of options, but rather to deepen the MC’s thought processes to give them more depth as a character and with the way they interact with their own decisions and people.

Actions won’t be locked unless they’re “extreme” actions and too radically opposed to your character’s personality. Rather, actions will have a different impact on your character and the world depending on your traits.

The plan is to make seven axes:

• Compassion - Cruelty
  • Pride - Humility
  • Impulsivity - Calm
  • Honor - Ruthlessness
  • Pragmatism - Idealism
  • Hedonism - Austerity
  • Dignity - Vulgarity

You might recognize some stats from before as well as new stats. I wanted to give more nuance to the way you can build the MC, cutting the stats in seven was a part of it, the traits is another, each of these will be cut in five degrees from one extreme to the other.

None of these is meant to be a simple “good vs evil” slider either, even a cruel wight king won’t have to be more evil than they want to be, you may also choose toward whom your cruelty is directed. You could be a just wight king to those who follow you, but a monster to those who oppose you.

I’m sure there are things I forgot to mention, but that’s the gist of it. This will be a big endeavour, so this won’t come soon but I think it’ll be worth the work I’ll put into it. If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask.

44 Likes

Dignity and Vulgarity? Wait, my sailor mouth is a stat now! /s

6 Likes

Does this game have ROs?

2 Likes

So will stats (power, finesse, tactics) be replaced by this system? To be honest I think what you’re planning on doing is much better than the stat based one in my opinion but I could just be comprehending it wrong lol

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t mention it enough but this is an 18+ game, both for the violent content and sexual content. There will be both romance paths and occasional flings, but you don’t have to romance anyone if you don’t want to.

I’ll work that out later, but yes all of this will be replaced by something else. I still need to think about it, and how I’m gonna implement that.

9 Likes

Should there be an adult-content tag?

1 Like

Maybe. There are warnings though. In game and I think in the first post as well?

Edit: Gonna add a warning to the first post as well

3 Likes