The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

It probably should, thanks for telling me. I’ll look into it tonight.

EDIT: I fixed it, I also changed how Asterius’ relationship stat is calculated in the prologue. Now if you beat him up well enough you earn some respect. While if you avoid unnecessary bloodshed, he likes you a little more. His base relation is also lower now, because getting 44% after the first encounter is already too much in my opinion.

3 Likes

This is amazing I have no complaints but are the characters from shattered connected to this so how like a long line of family cause we don’t know how long the main character has been dead

1 Like

There’s absolutely no relation between the eponym Shattered and the Wight King. The Shattered takes place 300 years before the MC of The Wight King is even born.

The Shattered’s actions had an influence on the events that led to the situation the world is in during The Wight King but beside that, the two stories are kind of self-contained. The Shattered and this whole period is like a prelogy to The Wight King’s age of darkness.

11 Likes

I think some of the stats are not working like when my MC got injured my health was still 100%. All of personality stats stayed the same all the way to the end except for two or three and I left numerous survivors but didn’t increase any of my War status like threat level.

1 Like

A lot of the stats are under construction, I’m working on a big revamp of how the stats work, with a system that relies more on earned traits or “flags” rather than raw numbers.

Stats just aren’t a big priority for me right now, it’ll be easier to know what I need to do once we get farther into the story. But it’s going to come eventually.

P.S. 666 likes on the main post, the ritual is complete…

23 Likes

What got you into making the wight king

6 Likes

aaaa this is def one of my fave CoGs of all time.
The writing, the characters, the wORLDBUILDING dfgdfgdsfg
Its all so intricate and developped!
I just love it.

anyways drew my WK to have an idea of how they look and came up with them (pre-death??)

4 Likes

I’m reeeeeaaaaally hoping to go full Overlord on this one lmao. Even called my MC ainz ooal gown

6 Likes

Nothing special, I suppose the same thing that gets anyone into making art, random chance and a craving to create. The reason why I started writing fiction on my own was mostly because of frustration, never being fully satisfied with the things I watched or read and always wanting more.

The Wight King wasn’t supposed to be what it is today at all, when I started writing I already had in mind an overarching, interconnected saga of a single world but that was totally unrelated to the first prototype of TWK. I knew starting with that would be impossible, I lacked experience and skill, so I wanted to use another story to train and try things.

The Wight King would have been a shorter story, about an undead lord out to conquer the world and really that was about it, hell it probably would have been more of a parody than anything. Though before I even started writing that, I began thinking about lore, worldbuilding, characters, I wanted more than just “a story to try shit out”. So it became much larger than I first intended, and probably more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

Over time, it changed a lot, it’s still changing.

As to, why the Wight King, I just like the idea of writing from the perspective of a traditionally villainous creature and put people in their spiky boots. This is also something we don’t see often in stories.

Thank you, it’s really great to see how enthusiastic some of you are about it.

That’s so nice, I love to see that my work inspired you.

Well don’t expect it to BE Overlord though I try to make it possible for everyone to play the way they want, including being a sociopathic undead overlord.

23 Likes

I still think this is an amazing WIP and I cant wait to read more

7 Likes

Will there be moments were i need to let off my aura to let them who is boss or will we have some kind of power where we can talk and they do what we say like that guy from Overlord who can control people with his voice,. do we have forms or power levels

2 Likes

that might be the case with lower classed undead, I recall the author saying something about that

5 Likes

I wish there were options to instead remain silent instead of speaking, I just find it kinda weird to monologue when you’re about to fight someone. I do however enjoy that this story doesn’t hold bars on how evil you can be, just brutally slaughtering everyone like a true undead ruler and actually be a true villian

6 Likes

You’ve already seen an example of what the wight king’s presence does to people in the prologue, in the form of overwhelming dread that crushes the mind of the weak.

Later on you might get powers of authority that lets your command compel people, but it will have limits, and the will of the targets may be too strong to fall under your control.

You’ll see later about “forms” or “power levels”, I’m planning some things with character building but I can’t really say anything yet. I want you to be able to build your character in different ways, focusing on different aspects of the MC’s powers.

Lesser undead will usually be unable to resist the wight king’s order, but willpower is the most important factor, not every lesser undead is weak-willed. But even when resisted, the wight king’s influence would still affect them.

I’ll look into that eventually, I don’t mind giving people that option but I can’t just let you skip every dialogue though. And it would be awkward to have the wight king do the Link stare throughout the story.

17 Likes

I have a crippling need to complain right now, so I wanted to tell you that I’ve been working for the last three weeks. It’s good because I’m finally earning some money, but It’s also grunt work, tiring and really uninteresting, long work days as well. So my motivation to write hasn’t been the best during that time.

It’ll be over soon, and then I’ll have opportunities for better jobs which I look forward to more and which hopefully will also leave my sanity intact for writing.

Now tho, I made some adjustments and I’m still trying to progress. I’ve got a rough idea of what I want for parts of the new stat system, so I might tell you about “The Plan” soon.

I want to offer more than just numbers to look at, something interactive that involves you more and that’s less coldly mathematical than simple numerical stats. I want there to be value in replaying the games as well, and to avoid a situation in which min-maxing is more interesting that building the character you actually want.

It will take time but I believe it will be worth it in the end, once I can actually get to it.

You all, your interest and your love of my work has always been heartwarming especially when i’ve offered so little in so long. These are disturbing and uncertain times, for all the reasons you know. Your support gives me strength and I wish all of you to stay safe and well and find the same strength in yourself to get through this. And a good Valentine’s to all of you while I’m at it.

44 Likes

Hey, you should go on your own pace without over working and frying your brain :joy_cat::smile_cat::smirk_cat:,and you should take care of yourself too @bl00dragon
And have a lovely day with your Valentine(s).

7 Likes

So would the title still be Wight King IF you chose a female MC?

1 Like

And what?!? Lol you want the title as a choice too? Something like ‘The Wight Queen’?!?
:joy_cat::smile_cat::smirk_cat:

3 Likes

What I am trying to say is should that be the Wight name being as you can change the gender of the MC?:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

This was discussed before, the answer is that the Wight King is the Wight king regardless of gender.

If I’m not wrong bl00dragon said that the first Wight King was female.

5 Likes