The Synthetic Wasteland (Work Title)(WIP)

Fixed all of these, thanks for letting me know about them.

1 Like

Update: Hey there! Just thought I’d mention that it will take me a little bit longer than I thought to push the next update out. I thought up some ideas to expand two of the scenes I was writing. As a consequence, I’ve spent quite a bit of time focusing on just these two scenes. I’m hoping it’ll be worth it, but it means it’ll take me a bit longer to move forward.

I don’t have an estimated deadline for when this will be done at the moment, but I’ll post one once I figure It out.

11 Likes

Update: Hey everyone. I’m a bit disappointed to say, again, that I’ve made little to no progress on this in the past werk or so. I had multiple school projects pop up that devoured all of my free time, and I’ve barely even had much of a chance to think about the story.

On the plus side, all of that is finished, for now, and I’ll have most of this week free to work on this. So I’m hoping I’ll be able to make up for lost time.

Until then, sorry for the wait… Again… I really don’t like it when this happens. :persevere:

11 Likes

Gods, I don`t understand homework. It is relatively pointless and just time wasting. I keep trying to set up choice script but only get about an half an hour every day :angry: and then all it is is struggling with it

4 Likes

Hey there, just gave this a quick little play, and my only ‘improvement’ (quotations as opinion and thats all subjective) would be to add multiple choice of emotions at certain points. For example, early in the game the PC goes through a list of rumours about this super prison they are now in. Specifically the one about draining memories or something similar. And when i came into contact with this mysterious figure who just somehow got you out of the worlds best cage, my initial thought was of suspicion, wich turned to parinoia, and revelation. What if your just strapped down to a chair with your brain on a wire draining you of any info you had. like the location of you factions base for instance. I apreciate how there is an option to say no to the machine, but it would be nice to see more reasons of mistrusting, or trusting this figure. To just add a bit more ‘choice’ and add to the imersion of the game.

4 Likes

I think I get what you’re saying, but I’m not sure if I could implement what you’ve suggested becsuse frankly, the rumors described are bogus and is not what the Bastion was actually for.

That being said, I’m always happy to listen to suggestions if you have anymore ideas on how things could be editted. :slight_smile:

Edit: Or it’s entirely possible that I misunderstood your post, I’m honestly not sure.

1 Like

Ehhh close enough :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Side note: So, while I was working on this today, I decided to run a word count for the story so far for fun, and since I honestly had no idea how long the story actually was.

Including code, alternate paths, etc, the story is sitting at just above 60k words, which is, er… Definitely more than I thought it’d be. While I’m not exactly certain what the average is, that feels like a much larger number than I thought it’d be.

Anyways, I thought I would share that as a quick little side note. You are now free to carry on with your day. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

To get the average words per play-through, run Randomtest, click the option to show all the text, run 100 tests and at the bottom of the results will appear total words counted during testing. Divide that by 100 and you’ll get your words per play-through.

Minimum words per play-through for the contest is 20,000 for a 100,000 word game so the ratio of 20% of total words should be the goal to shoot for publication in general.

4 Likes

Actually, this is something I’ve been meaning to ask at some point, how do you run Randomtest? I’ve heard it mentioned plenty, but I don’t know how to actually do it.

1 Like
The quicktest and randomtest are .html files in the main ChoiceScript folder.

Once your .txt files are saved, you can simply launch the tests in your web browser to run the exact same way you can launch the index.html to play your WIP.

When you launch randomtest, it will offer you some options before it begins. Choose what's most appropriate for your situation.

Randomtest 2017-11-24

3 Likes

Update: Hey everyone! While I haven’t gotten as much work done as I’d like so far (things just keep popping up), I have gotten some work done on this. My current estimate is that I should have this done by around next weekend, I think, depending on how much I can get done over the week. It may come sooner, but I don’t know for sure.

I’m spending a lot more time with the patrol scene than I was originally planning. I was originally planning on it being a 10-second encounter that was a couple pages long, and somehow I turned it into this multi-layered confrontation with a few sub-choices that might lead to consequences over the rest of the chapter.

Talk about overdoing it… :laughing:

13 Likes

Update: Alright, I’ve finally gotten around to posting the next update! Took me long enough…

Unfortunately, all I’ve managed to do so far is finish the patrol scene. That means, for those that were able to avoid the patrol, there is currently no new content for you. Sorry! :persevere:

As another disclaimer, this has not been play-tested at all. I eyeballed the code as best as I could, and I think it should be good, but it’s very possible that I missed something. So I apologize in advance if there’s a crash somewhere.

Other than that, I hope you guys enjoy it! :grin:

9 Likes

@ExcaliburV
Spelling error found in chapter 3.

Bailey gestures to a hulking brute of a man, already gritting his teeth in aggrivation.

Aggravation

1 Like

I keep getting this error whenever I try to start chapter three.

1 Like

@Bugreporter
I fixed,the spelling error, but…

@chipstick
I have no idea what’s causing that. I might have an idea, but if I’m right, I won’t be able to fix it until sometime this evening.

If there’s someone around more knowledgeable on what that message means, I’d really appreciate it if you could let me know what’s causing it, because I’m stumped.

Edit: Aha! I poked around a little more, and I’m pretty sure I found the cause of that. It should be fixed now.

3 Likes

@Excaliburv
Spelling error found in chapter 4, when gathering numbers for the resistance, and choosing to attack the patrol.

Your team, invigorated by your show of force, surges forward with weapons in-hand, each one targeting a seperate robot.

Separate

Bug, when choosing to save Jacob.

Bug, when choosing to save Jenny.

Bug, when choosing to save both Jenny and Jacob.

Spelling errors, after saving Jenny.

He’ll be alright, but we might need someone to carry him until her can get back to his feet."

he

Jenny finishes adressing the wound

dressing

After killing the machine attacking Jenny, I would like an option to take the laser rifle.

In the option: “Honing my skills in combat.”

wherin you engage in several spars in the arena and practice your aim in the makeshift shooting range.

Wherein

1 Like

Pretty sure I fixed all the spelling errors and bugs. Didn’t realize I made the same mistake that many times… Whoops…

I was really debating if I wanted that to be an option. I don’t want it to be too easy to get a laser rifle (the rifle gives way too big of a combat bonus to just hand them out). I’ll think about it, but I’m not sure if I’d want to add that in.

2 Likes

@Excaliburv
Bug, in chapter 4, choosing: “Studying history, geography, and any other information that could be useful.”
And
"I’ll try talking with Jacob.“
And
"Sure, that’d be great.”

Maybe have the MC take the rifle if combat is their lowest skill. Or let the MC hand it to one of their team members.

2 Likes

I think I fixed it, thank you for all the bugfinding. :sweat_smile:

1 Like