The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

For what seems to be the first time this year, things appear to have calmed down somewhat. My family is still grieving, but life has mostly returned to normal – and, strangely, that’s a better normal than before. It’s funny how a tragedy brings people together sometimes.

In any case, I want to thank all of you for your support and patience, I really appreciate it. I’ve tentatively returned to working on Seven Heirs when I can, and some behind-the-scenes progress has been made that I’m fairly happy with. It has made me question something, however, and I hope you guys will indulge me by answering a poll…

Should I changed the name of the game?

I refer to “The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia” almost exclusively as “Seven Heirs” for simplicity, and I’m now considering changing the name of the game to that. It’s shorter and, in my opinion, more intriguing. I feel like it may also be less off-putting to new readers if the title of the game didn’t include a word they’ve never seen before.

• Yes, change it to Seven Heirs
  • Yes, but change it to something else
  • No, keep it The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia

0 voters

If you pick the last option, please let me know what you have in mind.

With that out of the way, I’d like to mention that in the near future, I will need some beta readers for a behind-the-scenes, game-related project. They will be reading through what will be thousands of words of text, some of which will likely include spoilers for the game, and pointing out any errors and areas that need work. There is a chance that these beta readers will later beta test new updates of the game and generally help me prepare content for release.

When I’m ready to select these betas, I’ll let you guys know. I’m not sure how I’ll pick who betas, but I’ll figure it when I’m closer to needing them.

Again, thank you guys for your support and patience with me and my sporadic presence.

51 Likes

Before I vote in the poll, I’d like to ask a question. How much of this is about the heirs, and how much is about the country of Ophaesia? Meaning its culture, people, etc.

1 Like

Good question, and one I’ve given a lot of thought to recently. There’s a lot of focus on Ophaesia, of course, but narrative-wise, I’d say it’s more a story about you and your siblings than Ophaesia.

2 Likes

I feel the story plot and arc is a lot more clear with Ophaesia in the title. Traditional fantasy has taught me to expect unknown words such as Ophaesia to be the object of the heir whatever it may be referencing

If I saw just: The Seven Heirs, I would be hesitant and not knowing what to expect.

7 Likes

What about just “Ophaesia” then? Part of my concern is that The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia is fairly long, and I think it might be a good idea to shorten it.

1 Like

A couple of thoughts (I’m going through this too which is why I am responding so fast)

1: The more Key words you use that people can relate to their searches in the Omnibus with, the better - so the reader will search using the words: Fantasy and Romance - when your title pops up, they will have a very firm idea of your game’s idea and execution.

2: I honestly think you hit the “sweet-spot” with the title - neither too long or short.

Also, as an aside: I saw you use Scrivener, so I decided to try it myself and have loved it. Thank you for mentioning it in that Workflow thread about a year ago.

14 Likes

If you really do want to shorten the title, remove the word: Seven … that is what I would do if I were to shorten it.

9 Likes

My advice is let as it is. Because kingdom is a great word that attracts lots of people from several cultures. And goes very well with tags as fantasy and romance in search people made. Far more commercial.

3 Likes

Oh, very good point. I hadn’t even considered that. Definitely something I’m going to take into account.

“Seven” is probably the least important word in the title, so it would make sense that would be the one I’d removed, but I love seven as a word and as a number too much, lol.

I’m glad you love it! It’s such a godsend, honestly. I use the iOS version (which imo is leagues better than the Windows version), and it is so helpful. Someone on the same thread mentioned Scapple (by the same people who did Scrivener), and I tried it out and can’t see myself going back to how I used to outline interactive fiction. It’s so helpful, especially once you get it customized the way you want.

It was also on the same thread someone mentioned World Anvil, which I have since fallen madly in love with. The Seven Heirs universe is so huge, I needed something more like a wiki to keep track of it all.

7 Likes

Is there anything wrong with keeping the title as it is and just referring to the game as Seven Heirs for short? :thinking: I guess Seven Heirs is less evocative, and to my mind Heirs of Ophaesia is, too. And while Seven Heirs of Ophaesia is a bit of a mouthful, most people wouldn’t be confused if you were to just call it Seven Heirs as a shortened version of the name.

8 Likes

I think the original title is better. Its unique where I can find search for it easily. The thing is I could probably find about 5 other things called Seven Heirs on Google. The Ophaesia part helps it stand out well for me to remember and find.

6 Likes

For me Seven heirs alone is weird. Is because is similar to The seven brothers western. or seven samurais lol . I am bad with names lo

1 Like

I voted to change it, but @Eiwynn’s posts changed my mind to keep it.

Glad to see you back and that things are settling into a new normal @Fawkes

4 Likes

I feel the way the title is now is perfect. Like @Eiwynn said, it’s not too long nor too short. Plus ‘The Seven Heirs’ just doesn’t feel right. Call it a gut feeling but the title right now just feels like ‘this is the title of this game and it’s perfect’

8 Likes

Keep it the same please. :slight_smile:

I would also be interested in beta reading.

1 Like

so far i enjoyed it and cant wait for the story to progress

2 Likes

Hope your own health is better now too.

5 Likes

I’d love to beta test!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry about ur loss i can’t imagine what it going through take ur time and know u have lots of fans and a real talent for writing; ur awesome

2 Likes

To everyone who is interested in beta testing:

Please wait until Fawkes is ready to accept beta testers to volunteer. As she said in her post, she’s still not sure how she’ll do it but she’ll let us know when she’s ready.

@Fawkes It’s good to hear that you’re doing better and it’s lovely to hear from you again, we’ve all missed you.

As for your question, I prefer the current title. It’s unique but accessible.
For a made-up word, “Ophaesia” is rather easy to read, so I don’t think you’ll have an issue with that. And I believe that “Seven Heirs” is evocative enough on its own to get people’s minds moving in anticipation, the “Ophaesia” simply points potential readers in the right direction.

Personally, the “Ophaesia” part is what intrigued me most when I first entered the forums. Just fyi.

14 Likes