The Sea Maiden (WIP) Last update 14th of Feb

This is super intriguing! I find all the animal relationships super cute, to be honest. I already love Otter :heart:!

4 Likes

Black Dog is best dog!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, just put up another update. I’m thinking that it might possibly need some tweaking in places? (or major changes although I hope not :sweat: ) I’d really like to hear what you think of it anyway.

Few points, you can succeed/fail at challenges and choose particular paths which will cause branches to open up in the storyline that will cause some fairly significant changes to the story available from here on in particular.

I think I’ve pinpointed the major issue with the Prince/Princess pronouns. There’s two branches in the tavern scene which will set it one way or the other and for one of these, not all the pronouns had been entered in. (For people who had the Prince with female pronouns). Sorry about that, completely missed it until today. I’m not sure if the pronouns will correct itself without going back to that scene though so if you’re using the save feature might continue to cause some problems.

There were some other individual ones I’d messed up though as well so if you’re finding them for the two gender swap-able characters (the prince/princes and the horses) I’d love to hear about it so I can fix them. (Still working on finding those as well as my regular grammar mess ups.)

Hope you enjoy it. Thank you :slight_smile:

Edit: I’ve put a patch that I think should fix the Prince pronouns for anyone that doesn’t want to go back to the tavern chapter on the bottom of the stat’s page.

11 Likes

its great!! i didn’t notice any gender swapping :grin:, just notice 1 typo : [spoiler] Something heavy lands on you stomach causing you to double over retching up water as the world swims back into focus. (your)

[/spoiler]

1 Like

[spoiler] Once of its heads washed up on the shore earlier today. (One)

“Well that could have gone better, but definitely could have been worse. Dog glances towards you, rolling his eyes in a wordless ‘I told you so.’” lol Dog continues to make me laugh! I hope after my life of adventure is over he will stay with me and be my bff :smiley:
[/spoiler]

I loved it! Sooo can’t wait to see what happens next!!! :smiley:

Thanks @Lizzy and @Curious_Boy. Glad you liked it so far and for picking up the typos for me!

2 Likes

Wow this is easily becoming one of my favorite WIPS!!! @Jacic
But just a quick question, Can you help the selkie and the prince both in one play through?

Thanks @SuperNova :relaxed:

I’m thinking possibly (it’ll probably be an option if I continue to work to my outline) although that part of the story isn’t 100% set in stone yet so sometimes ideas happen to change it.

Right now, if you look at the stat page at the very beginning, you get into an error loop and can’t escape, even if you hit the reset button. I had to refresh the browser.

That’s really weird @Eiwynn. Not sure why that’s happened for you, I can’t seem to replicate it on my computer. (Just tried). At a guess, it might have had something to do with the updated stat file I uploaded earlier today? If you were running the older file from before I did that it might have upset the program. (I think sometimes browsers can cache the files and continue trying to use the older versions which messes with choicescripts commands). If it keeps happening, try opening the file in a private window that usually fixes those kinds of errors. If that doesn’t fix it can you let me know?

1 Like

Ya - private windows for the win… couldn’t replicate issue so might have been updated files issue - sorry for the stress.

1 Like

Yay! An update!

And I can’t tell you how happy this update made me. I mean, selkies are one of my favorite mythical creatures so I was so ecstatic just to meet one, p l u s now we get to help Fynbar! Yay! That just made my entire day. So much. I’m so excited. I also just love how everything connects in this game. It’s like one long chain.

I’ll go back through later to make sure there’s so tint errors or whatnot (also to try the other options). But so far, really good!

Good luck! :smiley:

4 Likes

Low level correction: [quote] “You want this huh? Try not to take my fingers with it ok?” Tentatively you hold out your hand ready to snatch it back, but to your surprise he gently takes the offering, only brushing your fingers with his lips. Expectantly his looks to you for more. [/quote]

his should be he.

Edit 1: Low level correction 2: [quote] “She’s right. We mustn’t tarry here.” The selkie wades back into the pool, pulling the seal skin about herself. “The girl’s made his decision. Will ye lead the way or nawt?” [/quote]

his should be her.

If we defeat the lake monster, will we still get a chance to talk to the mermaid eventually?

The journey back across the waters passes more quickly than the previous night, the Prince shovelling water industriously, headless of the splashes it makes.

I really hope my boyfriend-to-be hasn’t lost his head, and this is supposed to be “heedless”.

2 Likes

Ooooh. Update :>

Other than the above spelling corrections, the only thing I can think of (atm) is if we have to lock in the romance with the prince(ss) at this point?

Thanks @RenaB! I was a bit worried about the part with the selkie so glad to hear you liked it.

@bomsasa yep :slight_smile:

@squarelyblue No, you don’t have to lock it in quite yet to one way or the other.

@Eiwynn and @ParrotWatcher lots of typos! Thanks for finding them, I’ll get them fixed.

3 Likes

Oh. Good :)) I was worried that if ever the romance seems to be speeding along quite fast :stuck_out_tongue: and we haven’t even met yet the other RO options

1 Like

Maybe we have maybe dog becomes human due to magic or captain is one

I don’t know why, but…

the scene with the selkie reminded me of Seal Lullaby by Eric Whitacre.

And now I’m imagining the poor selkie mother and Fynbar separated with this song as background music. sobs :cry:

I agree with RenaB - selkies are such cool creatures, but I feel like they’re kind of neglected in favor of things like dragons and griffins and the more popular generics. I love the inclusion of one in this game.

5 Likes