The Sea Maiden (WIP) Last update 14th of Feb

Will there ever be a point where weā€™ll be able to offer to go with the mermaid willingly if she helps us save someone/something or accomplish an extremely hard task?

1 Like

@bomsasa you can choose to stay with her if you end up down in the the cave right now. (I make no guarantee what will happen from there though. You may or may not live to regret that decision depending on what youā€™ve done or do from there.) As for in later in the storyā€¦I havenā€™t quite decided and itā€™s pretty spoilery so I might have to not comment for now. Sorry! Would love to start talking spoilers but then Iā€™ll probably change my mind anyway and lead everyone off in the wrong direction, as Iā€™m only working on a basic story outline. I tend to do that :slight_smile:

@Drakeye Poor Dog. I imagine heā€™d probably hate being human if that happened to him. Or maybe not. That way he could have his own farm full of sheep.

Yay lots of selkie fans on this site. I agree, they seem to be under represented in stories which is a bit sad.

7 Likes

Was Calen really just a random soldier? Because, well, now that I think about it, he seems pretty damn skilled. Even with a lame leg, heā€™s still better than his potentially giant-slaying son/daughter, so he must have been a terror before being crippled.

1 Like

It might be a combination of people not being all that familiar with Irish (and Scottish, if Iā€™m remembering it correctly) myths and the lore around the Selkies and/or donā€™t see Selkies as interesting/alluring as mermaids. The way I even came across the myths of Selkies was playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and learned the race of people called Selkie were partially inspired by the actual legends of the Selkies. But yeah, itā€™s great to see more diversity of mythological creatures in stories nowadays. :slight_smile:

Kinda curious if anyone has watched Song of the Sea nowā€¦

2 Likes

@bomsasa Perhaps. His back story hasnā€™t really been the focus of this one. He seemed keen to leave it all behind after becoming injured. Wonder what happened? :slight_smile:

@Okami-Nora Havenā€™t seen song of the sea, any good?

Was reading the death/bad endings thread. Just wondering if anyone has hit the endings in there so far (thereā€™s two at the moment). Neither I would consider a really ā€œhappyā€ ending. What do you think? Did they turn you off the story or did they seem ok? I kind of wanted good and bad endings in there but if they are bothering people do they perhaps need a ā€œtry againā€ button to bring you back to a previous choice where you can change the outcome or are they ok a is? (Will have to see if I can manage that by tracking stat changes but potentially possible I think for at least some of them).

2 Likes

I invite you to take Ć  look at this for the endings.

1 Like

Unless itā€™s been changed since, I found the bad end where the mermaid gets you if you donā€™t get Dogā€™s help,and that ending made me really curious about what the mermaid wants the MC for and certainly didnā€™t turn me off the story. Now Iā€™m wondering about what the other ending is, though.

Edit:
Maybe you should add a hint about needing Dogā€™s help, though, because if you stumbled upon that ending on your first time playing/reading you might not realize how you could have avoided it.

1 Like

@bl00dragon Yep that was the thread I was reading :slight_smile: Iā€™ve tried to make the endings more complete (even the bad ones) with epilogues, rather than you went left instead of right therefore instadeath. Just hope Iā€™ve done a good enough job with them. Seems like some people donā€™t mind them and otherā€™s do.

Ok, thanks for the feedaback @bomsasa :slight_smile:

1 Like

Minor update up. Thereā€™s only a little going forward from the path if you fail to defeat the lake monster and escape the cave. (I havenā€™t updated the one if you do defeat it yet). Mostly it was getting the south road storyline back on track as it got left behind. (The road you take if you decide not to go after the prince/princess). I still need to add in the grammar corrections from this thread as well.

I also did a word count and my ā€œDefinitely only going to be 100,000 words at the mostā€ non-branching, short story is now over that with at least a few chapters left to write. So much for sticking to the plan lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Oh well I guess that can hopefully only be a good thing.

Edit- I just realised Iā€™m missing one of the story paths for the Otter at the moment and you will get some odd responses at the very end that donā€™t make sense unless youā€™re on the south road path. (Anything from after you come down from the mountain trail.) Sorry about that, thought I had them all written up but I was wrong! Will try to get it updated properly today or tomorrow.

6 Likes

okay here is some report :grin:

(choice at some point of the south and not getting back to the prince)
ā€œMaybe having a monster in the river will work in our favour to keep us safe. I mean it probably itā€™s probably none to fussy and will eat a mermaid as easily as a human right?ā€ (just itā€™s probably is enough i guess :wink:)

ā€œThe person Iā€™ve asked to helpā€¦she may need some persuasion I think. Try to be as nice to her as possibleā€¦I think me you can manage that?ā€ (just delete the bold me and itā€™ll be okay to read :smile:)

Idelisa seems in worse a worse state than yourself, unshod and unused to walking but steadfastly continues to walk without complaint. just delete the bold one and itā€™ll be good :grin:)

thatā€™s it :grin:

Thanks @Curious_Boy! I read those over more than once and still somehow missed the double ups >.<
The ā€˜meā€™ was a deliberate misuasge but it probably sounds weird so Iā€™ll take it out as well.

2 Likes

if you want to use ā€˜Meā€™ as misusage, you can try to change i think with me think :smile:

2 Likes

Ok should be fixed now I think along with a few grammar fixes. (Itā€™s only a minor thing as the story splits again after where Iā€™ve stopped it for now but at least you donā€™t get odd comments now from the wrong story track).

3 Likes

Will we ever have a chance to meet a dragon?

1 Like

Hello, have we met before :grin:

3 Likes

I play as a girl, and the heirā€™s gender is a guy.

1 Like

In my opinion, I love it. Itā€™s animations has the same distinctive beauty as ā€˜Secret of Kellsā€™ (another movie that has a good dose of Irish mythology), and I loved how this story in particular was one that followed a human boy and his little sister (who he has a somewhat strained relationship with at the beginning and is the only one of the two who was more strongly connected to her Selkie heritage) who go on a journey. Thatā€™s all Iā€™ll say about the story; I feel like itā€™s better to watch and see why theyā€™re going on the journey to begin with.

Mind, my brother and mother were not as interested in Song of the Sea or the Secret of Kells partially because they werenā€™t too keen of the animation style and partially because it dealt with mythological creatures they were not familiar with (being a mythology nut, I greatly enjoyed it since I was familiar with what I was seeing) :sweat_smile:. So Iā€™d suggest seeing the trailers and deciding whether theyā€™re movies that youā€™d be interested in.

This one is Song of the Sea

And hereā€™s the Secret of Kells

6 Likes

@bomsasa Not at this stage but I havenā€™t 100% decided on two of the story threads, so probably not but I could change my mind :slight_smile:
@Thunder-Man Thanks for spotting that, I messed up the code there. Should be fixed now.
@Okami-Nora Iā€™ll have to get try to get around to watching them, they look interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How long is the game going to be? Are we in the beginning (hopefully but probably not), in the middle or near the end?

Thatā€™s the question isnā€™t it :smile:. Itā€™s already longer than I planned. There will be a few branches (some shorter some longer) so probably in the middle to late stages of the book I think depending on your choices. Thereā€™s a number of things I still need to tie up story line wise :slight_smile:

3 Likes