The Magician's Burden

Posting here both to sub to the thread and to just generally express my appreciation to the author and the artist. The art for Violet is great in particular.

Mabelin is a pretty great RO.
I love giving Percy some of that tough love. Not going to tolerate any of his shit, but he’s still a nice guy (and, yknow, our brother) when he isn’t trying to rob you.

2 Likes

So lore/game question. Can magicians (possibly ours) become wizards or even stronger then normal wizards. The database says that wizards are people smart enough to harness netherworld power but nothing else. So would the innate magic interfere with spells or is it possible to still be a wizard. Or could you become stronger then normal wizards since you already have some netherworld residue within you?

1 Like

@Samuel_H_Young im sad that we cant choose the gender of the demon inside us and that you made the mc so weak in this 1 book (unless u use zaleth help…), is not something i like in games ( Community college hero 2 book an example for me…). I only enjoyed the writing, the story in part is good and the jokes… but seriously that mc killed it for me (you know when you are watching anime and the mc is so dumb that you start to hate him? thats kinda what happened here :rofl:)

1 Like

Thanks, Haresus! And yes, I love Werner Mueck’s art. He’s been doing illustrations for me for about 5 years now and I hope to continue working with him for a long time.

Glad to hear it. Along with Mowbow, Mabelin seems to be far and away the favorite character and Percy is one of those characters that people either love or hate, haha.

@Natman1025
Good question! They definitely have the potential to become a wizard, though their innate magic wouldn’t make them much stronger. I actually have an important character that becomes a wizard during the course of the story. I won’t say who the character is or what story they’re in yet. :slight_smile:

@anon4518890
Yeah, I don’t really make any NPCs have selectable genders since I want them to be as defined as possible.

Sorry to hear that. If it’s any consolation, the MC will be tripling in power in the sequel.

In my WIP, Mass Mother Murderer, the MC is the most powerful person in the village and basically just dunks on everyone in whatever pursuit they happen to have. The Magician’s Burden isn’t a power fantasy like that, though, but rather a story about growth and perseverance.

2 Likes

Sweet, and another question (please don’t be angry I just love your game) could the mc get some magic training from a wizard in the future? Or at least help in enhancing our powers?

2 Likes

Incidentally, the MC will be training with Melithar the wizard in the sequel. They’ll be tripling in power and gaining a wand or sceptor of their own to help channel their more powerful magic. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

dont take me wrong i still think is an amazing game overall and much better in writing and story than your previous games, i just think you could have made the mc more neutral and not so weak in this 1 book, is part of the beta tester to help you in that regard but i guess sometimes people are too nice.
About the selectable gender… i still think is an amazing feature for some of us that never play other genders… in my case i only play as male so you can guess that i miss some story or ros in many games because of that , for me that feature is an improv not something that demean a game.
After saying that… Congratulations for the Release :hugs: (i forgot to congratulate you before xD)

1 Like

I wouldn’t call them that weak. Yes, there are many characters who are more powerful, and the MC has a lot of growing to do. But, they can also defeat a 6’4" brick shithouse and they also can give a powerful demon more trouble than they probably should.

In my stories, all of the ROs are romanceable regardless of the gender of the MC.

3 Likes

Aww, poor sweet bigots. :sob::sob::sob:

Also, Keano is white and Mabelin is muscular and dark brown, you incel. :joy:

It’s interesting to me that The Magician’s Burden is mostly praised for its characters, romance, and writing, but then there are a select few who vehemently detest those three areas and say they’re straight garbage.

6 Likes

for me thats how it feels after reading the entire book without help of zaleth… so i guess it kinda depends on the readers too, maybe im more accustomed to more powerfull mcs or atleast those that you can choose to excel at something.

i dont read male on male ros or play as female and romance guys, i play straight male (so you know why that feature is improv for me) :wink:
(there is no more than 5 games i have played as female, and those were all telltale games, the last of us , life is strange (a lesb max :rofl:), beyond 2 souls… and thats all haha)

1 Like

Also, I literally wanna burn down the Google headquarters. TMB has a rating of 4.5 and dozens of 5 star reviews, and yet they choose to display only the vicious negative reviews on the front page of the app.

4 Likes

That’s because the ones who are praising the characters are doing so because of the characters’ personalities, actions and motivations. The ones that are saying they’re ‘garbage’ are basing their views on how the characters look.

Everyone has their opinions I guess. There’s just no pleasing some people.

3 Likes

Since no one else has pointed this out yet imma just do it @Samuel_H_Young there is this review in the Play Store that is both funny and stupid, the person who commented their name is Jonathan Wu and they pointed out somewhat stupidly that you had consistently misused the word “bare” in the place of the word “bear” for their example “bear arms” instead of “bare arms” so in essence they are saying that a character should have the arms of a bear instead of arms that have nothing on them. Now this is a common error to make (okay who am I kidding this not a common error) but the fact still remains that they think they are better than you in terms of what word should be used, now what I’m saying is ignore the negative reviews cause if they are anything like Jonathan Wu they have no idea what they are talking about. Anyways on a different note good bloody work, Mabelin and Violet are the best RoadKillian is stupid and you sir are a goddamn badass.

3 Likes

changed mine to 5 stars since some people are plainly a****** :wink:

2 Likes

Oh by the by thanks for Mabelin. Not enough games let me get all gay with a badass lady in armor. squints at DAII and Inquisition

3 Likes

I chortled. Thanks, Sovereign!

@anon4518890
Hooray.

@Dagger1819
My pleasure! It’s really fun writing her character.

2 Likes

There’s someone banned on the forum name Malthizar.

I loved the story and characters especially Mabelin and that scene
12ziwj

3 Likes

This is literally a description of his review, too. :joy:

Hehe, thanks! It seems the Mabelin sex scene might be the fans’ favorite scene.

4 Likes

She’s an all around good character. Funny, but serious when she needs to be. Also the land where I grow my fucks bit is seriously one of the funniest things I’ve read in a choice game ever.

4 Likes

I legit wanted to cry when Mowbow died and also when our father died was emotional as well.

All in all, I loved this game! You kept me hooked from the beginning to the end. Consider me a fan of your work @Samuel_H_Young I look forward to the continuation of this series along with your other projects :grin:

3 Likes