The Hero Project: Open Season — Can you win America’s #1 reality show for heroes?

Also, being genderfluid is not a thing in the games either.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Characters with Disabilities in CoG and HG Titles

I can’t really speak for how well disability rep is done, but from what I’ve seen it’s mostly like with other rep: it depends on the writer.
The problem with Sergi appears to be that he is entirely unwilling to listen to criticism, but will gladly listen to praise, resulting in a
“But this one person of this group liked it” approach.
Aka the old “the one black person I know is not offended by me calling them the n-word” mindset.
Which is a very, very dangerous mindset to begin with.
As said before. Sergi is not a bad writer. But going by experience a solid kick to the but and a chew-out might do him good.

Because otherwise I honestly worry that his stuff might actually harm someone at some point.

2 Likes

This is a gentle reminder to please keep conversations directed at the topic at hand and not at the individuals (posters or authors) themselves. Focusing replies on the individuals themselves instead of the topic at hand can lead to friction between members and often causes the thread to derail or be closed.

Please keep posts centered on the game and debate the points being made, and not centered on the author’s traits and characteristics.

2 Likes

Found it, thanks for the rec!

While I don’t know how Sergei used it being genderfluid is very much a thing.

I should have worded that better. I meant ‘In the game being genderfluid is not a thing you can be’ Sorry

Let me edit that.

Ah, okay. Gotcha. No harm done.

That said. No a lot of games go into the details of non-conforming to the gender binary, so I really don’t know if you can blame the writer for that.

I haven’t played part two so I don’t know how the gender options are written in this part?

People have speculated that Transfer is meant to be a stand-in for being genderfluid.

As for the gender options:

Code from OS
*choice
	#I'm female.
		*set femaled true
		*set youdze "she"
		*set youdhir "her"
		*set youdhis "her"
		*goto boardingtimehpos
	#I'm male.
		*set maled true
		*goto boardingtimehpos
	#I was assigned as male at birth, but am truly female.
		*set femaled true
		*set mtftg true
		*set youdze "she"
		*set youdhir "her"
		*set youdhis "her"
		*goto boardingtimehpos
	#I was assigned as female at birth, but am truly male.
		*set maled true
		*set ftmtg true
		*goto boardingtimehpos
	#I was born with intersex characteristics.
		*set intersex true

You are at ease with this element of your identity and consider yourself to be:

*choice
			#Male.
				*set maled true
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#Female.
				*set femaled true
				*set youdze "she"
				*set youdhir "her"
				*set youdhis "her"
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#Intersex.
				*goto pronounchoiceos
			#I don't identify with binary gender categories.
				*goto pronounchoiceos
			#None of these options suit me, so I'd like to enter my own vocabulary.
				*goto inyouowngen
	#I don't identify with binary gender categories.
		*label pronounchoiceos
		*set genderneut true

Thankfully, this understanding of gender also makes it easier to cope with your ever-changing Ani-Morpho manifestations.

You've also chosen to identify with these pronouns:

*choice
			#Ze and hir.
				*set youdze "ze"
				*set youdhir "hir"
				*set youdhis "hir"
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#They, them, and their.
				*set youdze "they"
				*set youdhir "them"
				*set youdhis "their"
				*set youdzedo "do"
				*set youdzes ""
				*set youdzehas "have"
				*set youdzeis "are"
				*set youdzewas "were"
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#Zhe, zhim, and zhir.
				*set youdze "zhe"
				*set youdhir "zhim"
				*set youdhis "zhir"
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#I'm still comfortable using she and her.
				*set youdze "she"
				*set youdhir "her"
				*set youdhis "her"
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#I'm still comfortable using he, him, and his.
				*goto boardingtimehpos
			#I'd like to input my own pronouns.
				Instead of he, she, or they, I prefer:

*input_text youdze

Instead of him, her, or them, I prefer:

*input_text youdhir

Instead of his, her, or their, I prefer:

*input_text youdhis
				*goto boardingtimehpos
	#None of these options suit me, so I'd like to enter my own vocabulary.
		*label inyouowngen
		You identify as:
		*input_text genderinput
		*goto pronounchoiceos
Code from RS
*choice
	#I'm female.
		*set femaled true
		*set youdze "she"
		*set youdhir "her"
		*set youdhis "her"
		*goto boardingtimehp
	#I'm male.
		*set maled true
		*goto boardingtimehp
	#I was assigned as male at birth, but am truly female.
		*set femaled true
		*set mtftg true
		*set youdze "she"
		*set youdhir "her"
		*set youdhis "her"

You've already undergone any gender confirmations you felt necessary to become the woman you were always meant to be. Thankfully such transitions are no longer considered taboo, because slugger knows your Ani-Morpho changes give you enough normative grief. 
		*goto boardingtimehp
	#I was assigned as female at birth, but am truly male.
		*set maled true
		*set ftmtg true

You've already undergone any gender confirmations you felt necessary to become the man you were always meant to be. Thankfully such transitions are no longer considered taboo, because slugger knows your Ani-Morpho changes give you enough normative grief. 
		*goto boardingtimehp
	#I was born with intersex characteristics.
		*set intersex true

Thankfully such characteristics are no longer considered taboo, because slugger knows your Ani-Morpho changes give you enough normative grief.

Personally, you are at ease with this element of your identity and you consider yourself to be:

*choice
			#Male.
				*set maled true
				*goto boardingtimehp
			#Female.
				*set femaled true
				*set youdze "she"
				*set youdhir "her"
				*set youdhis "her"
				*goto boardingtimehp
			#I don't subscribe to any gender categories.
				*goto pronounchoice
	#I don't subscribe to any gender categories.
		*label pronounchoice
		*set genderneut true

You are both genders, but you are also neither gender. You believe gender defies categorization, operating on a kind of sliding scale—one that can change every day, just like your Powers. Besides, even the most staunchly "male" or "female" cisgenders admit that sometimes they feel more "masculine" or "feminine" at different times.

Thankfully, this kind of thinking also makes it easier to cope with your ever-changing Ani-Morpho manifestations.

You've also chosen to identify with these pronouns:

*choice
			#Ze and hir.
				*set youdze "ze"
				*set youdhir "hir"
				*set youdhis "hir"
				*goto boardingtimehp
			#They, them, and their.
				*set youdze "they"
				*set youdhir "them"
				*set youdhis "their"
				*set youdzedo "do"
				*set youdzes ""
				*set youdzehas "have"
				*set youdzeis "are"
				*set youdzewas "were"
				*goto boardingtimehp
			#Zhe, zhim, and zhir.
				*set youdze "zhe"
				*set youdhir "zhim"
				*set youdhis "zhir"
				*goto boardingtimehp
			#I'd like to input my own pronouns.
				Instead of he, she, or they, I prefer:

*input_text youdze

Instead of him, her, or them, I prefer:

*input_text youdhir

Instead of his, her, or their, I prefer:

*input_text youdhis
				*goto boardingtimehp

I personally did identify with the shifting perspective of both MC and Transfer, but I am not sure that it was meant as specifically genderfluid?

It is a bit iffy that the non-binary option is marked as ‘genderneut’ but I don’t think that the MC ever describes themselves as gender neutral in the game proper, so I can live with it.

I honestly think that providing and option of pronouns is fine.

I’m more irked with the flavortext for the non-cis options that in RS (and during the OS beta) gushed about how totally special the char is for not being cis.
Like, it felt like the character was put on a stage in a sideshow…

That might very well be true. I don’t remember much of redemption season any more. Only that I didn’t want to play it (or the sequels) again.

I’d honestly be hardpressed to say if anything actually happened in RS.
HR2 had some action, even if it was all over the place.

Actually, I think the asexual part also needs some work. You shouldn’t have to choose an orientation if you’ve decided to list yourself as that if you want a playthrough without romantic entanglements. If there’s no option for it in the game, it really should just be left out as not an option available. (Attracted to neither sets weaver to as non-binary I think, as well as setting attraction for males and females to true which is kind of odd for that option- instead of shutting down RO’s it basically opens every option up.)

3 Likes

Agree, I should have specified that I put it there because I also thought it fell short.

2 Likes

I tried an ace run of OS to see if the making out stuff was there (as the ‘omg he’s so hot’ stuff to start a relationship sure as heck is) and…
well, the stuff is greyed out, but it lead to a comment that seems to equal sexuality with all sorts of physical contact.
AkA in OS being ace equals ‘no touchy at all’
:confused:

NO. NO. NO. The option is very specifically asexual. Not aroace. Asexual people still can and do have romantic orientation.

Now, I do agree that it is a problem that attracted to neither sets it to pan and there should really be an option to just blanket say that you are not interested in any of that for those who are aroace or just not want to play with RO. (Any way, I guess that attracted to neither, is meant to be attracted to non-binary people from the code.)

But ace-people, including myself, have long complained that the ace and aro options get confused in COGs and ace people have orientations. I’m a bi-ace, I know people who are hetero-, homo- and pan aces as well. All categories who both wants and do not want a relationships.

Now, I do think that both the hero-rise series and versus is very sexual games. (To the point that I can get uncomfortable, I admit. Another reason I kind of quit his series.) But asking ace-people of their orientation is good. More games should do that. AND have a - I just don’t want to deal with that kind of relationship in game. option

As for aro and aro-ace options. I will let people who are that or lean that way in the grey-spectrum speak for what they want.

4 Likes

You misunderstand me, I don’t have a problem with the options for ace asking whether to have an orientation and are potentially interested in a RO. But if you say you’re interested in neither, that shouldn’t equate to you’re interested in dating everyone which is what this coding says.

3 Likes

Agreed.

You can still find yourself with romantic preferences in regards. Asexuality is a lack of interest in sex, but that does not exclude hugs or cuddling or kissing even.

Aromantic is when someone doesn’t want romance with others. Which was not an option, and very easily one a person can play by ‘choice’.

See my above comment.
Also I kind of want an aromatic/asexual option in this series as sometimes you don’t have a choice and are made to date NPCs regardless of interest level. (Black magic anyone?)

1 Like