The Bastard of Camelot Announcement on post 3193

Played the updated demo!
It was so great to see Gawain and Galahad! Love them both already!

As usual, reporting typos!

At the beginning of chapter 3:

“You’ve been anticipation his arrival ever since you heard”
Should be “You’ve been anticipating”, rather.

First choice of chapter 3:

“But you sill try to smile and them shyly, hoping they’ll see you mean no harm”
I think it was meant to be “But you still try to smile at them shyly”

Also, I was wondering about two of the opposed stats. Could you clarify things for me?
Confident / Insecure and Defiant / Meek. What is the difference between the two? I mean, I understand what each mean and I see how they are different. But when it comes to making choices, I have a hard time to determine which leads to what, between insecure and meek, and confident and defiant.

I’m curious what would happen if somehow Mordred managed to impress Lancelot. How would Galahad react when seeing his father actually starting to approve of Mordred…
Of course, not asking for spoilers! But suddenly that thought came to me!

3 Likes

is she stronger then him? is that why he hate her? Or is he just an old pickles that need a whooping. Oh everytime someone talk about him, the dark side grow…muahahahah . Maybe I should google and see how he look, you know? to get more juice for the killing and stuff…ahem ahem…lol

Btw do you get any powers from that Water Godess? Or its just…some kind of watch others worship her ?

3 Likes

@Konoi I’m actually thnking of changing Insecure to Shy. As for the difference, confident, for example, when Mordred is confident in their magic, while defiant is more about standing up to Gareth or the entitled boy or Lot, in a more rebellious way? I hope it makes sense. I guess, confident/shy is for more casual conversation like making friends.

@E_RedMark Merlin is power hungry. And again, Morgana is defiant. He hates that. Arthur is naive.

The water goddess grants water manipulation and healing. Water bending powers lol
You already can do that with your magic, but Morgana is just devoted, and if anytime Mordred feels fatigued, calling onto the Goddess’ favor helps.

I extended the convo in chapter 2 with Nana at the temple.

11 Likes

I was thinking water/fire jutsu and she went all Korra like :stuck_out_tongue:

I though we had the fire element, and the Goddess is Water. Would’ve been nice to have both element . And Insta heal can come in handy…

3 Likes

Mordred has fire magic from Arthur! No one can tell it’s from that cause you’d be able to do it regardless, but it’s a lot easier and more powerful because of the Pendragon blood.

6 Likes

Gasp Does that mean Arthur can use Magick too??? there goes the ‘Naive’ image he held so far… :smirk:

3 Likes

@loyallyroyal I can understand where you’re coming from. I was just stating my personal opinion of him. I know I was a bit unfair to him during my rant back then and I understand his position.

However, I’m still going to have a negative bias towards him due to my previous perceptions of Arthurian figures. Same with Arthur too. I don’t think it’s something that will easily change.

And about his traits, I think it vary from source to source. Almost every Arthurian figure (except Arthur and a few other) have contradictory personalities, a prominent example of it being Guen herself. So it all depends on which literary pieces you followed.

3 Likes

I am enjoying it thus far! Not very knowledgeable about Arthurian legend, but I do find this fun to read and easy to follow! Looking forward to the next chapter! <3

3 Likes

Ah, I think I see, yeah… That’s why you can for example meekly say you’re a good mage, right? Mordred would be confident, yet meek?

1 Like

I’ll disagree with this one for the sake of discussion. Arthur has super contradictory personalities based on when the literature was written and the views on knighthood and kingship at the time. Early works like Monmouth’s Kings of Britain depict Arthur in a much better light than later works like Le Mort d’Arthur that are much more critical of King Arthur.

4 Likes

Well crap, guess Mordred’s actual dad won’t make things easy for them either. :sweat_smile:

Already like Kay for how he chooses to handle the matter. Lance not as much, but I think I can see why he did it.

It says something interesting about both characters that Nimue is well aware of what Merlin is trying to do most of the and that Merlin does not even have the trust of his own daughter.

And does his dad love him? Is Lance a good father to Galanhad?

So Merlin is definitely a character to keep a open eye on, as Nimue had actually warned Mordred when they were kids.

The more I hear about this Merlin, the more wary I become of him. :sweat_smile:

Galanhad is gonna be in for one hard awakening whenever he learns the not so great parts about his dad.

Imagine if Mordred is the first one to discover this stuff and trying to find a way to tell Galanhad the truth about Lance. Feel like the guy won’t believe the words easily (even if Mordred is a friend at that point) until he sees the proof with his own eyes due to that hero worship he got toward Lancelot.

5 Likes

Btw…just curious, but in these duels competitions, can you use Magick or is it forbidden ??

2 Likes

Well, discussion it is then.

Huh, guess my Arthurian literature is lacking then.

Here’s the thing; we know Arthur (or someone like him) existed. We know that he led the charge against the Saxons. Rest of it is just hypothesis which happens to include magic and stuff because medieval England.

What I find interesting is that a historical (or near-mythical, like Arthur) tends to be presented in different perspectives depending on the location of the author and the time-period in which the account was written.

Early works tend to paint someone either extremely positively or extremely negatively. However, early accounts also tend to be more accurate (or at least, that’s what I’ve found)

Later works are more critical, viewing the figure in question with less bias than early accounts. However, they tend to be…slightly misinformed about certain events, effectively judging someone for events that may or may not have happened (again, personal experience here)

So…yeah, that’s a thing. Contradictory accounts are not uncommon, especially in case of someone like Arthur. From what I’ve read, Arthur’s been a pretty consistent character to me at least.

I just realised that I should brush up more on this before progressing further, otherwise I might make a fool out of myself :sweat_smile: I’ve not read a book about Arthur in what, two years?

2 Likes

Well, Overly Sarcastic Productions had done a interesting look on the story of King Author and the knights.

I’ll put them down here.

10 Likes

Ah,so Merlin is half-fae…well that explain a lot.
The biggest reasons to NOT trust him at all and consider him officially as an ennemy. I just can’t wait to become Queen,fire him and hire Nimue in his place.
(I just hope Nimue haven’t take too much after her father, I’m wary of devious type)
I admit this interpretation of Merlin (and Lancelot) is new for me.
I have such a positive image of them (thank you Disney for Merlin,and thank you books about Lancelot I read) but that’s what make it really interesting,I like how the change you made gave a new meaning to the legend.

Concerning the mini update of chapter 3.

Summary

GAWAIN is SO cute! That’s it.He’s officially my Ro.
…And Galahad OUCH I know my Mordred is suppose to be use to that type of treatment but it still HURT :frowning:
Like I understand.But on the other waaaay it kind of make me want to just straight out tell him
“hey, your Dad is making ANOTHER me.With the QUEEN” And watch his reaction. Or worse reveal to the world the thing about Gwen and Lancelot.

3 Likes

I really hope Merlin wont go full on Villain i really prefer the take i seem to be under impresion you are going for @Rebelgirl

Basically this but on heroes side if you can call it that, Plus Significant Personal flaws.

2 Likes

BTW you accidentally got New York in your Bastard scenes. Grey.txt is there in files. @Rebelgirl

1 Like

Thank you! I think putting warnings in both would help.

I am seriously stoked to see more of this story, thanks for your hard work!

2 Likes

why didn’t you link the opposite of that? since the Manipulative bastard is labelled as a Sociopath. And what would be the opposite? An empathic and manipulative? :thinking:

well the closest would be this:

full vilain isn’t a bad thing. And as far as I saw, you have many branches (insecure, geniune, liar, blunt, agressive, friendly, playful…etc) . A full on vilain is the path I’m gonna walk on, and if its well done…it can be alot of fun.

@Rebelgirl hum, 1) I highly recommand you add something up there on the title when you update the demo, so peoples know (otherwise, you gonna have a bunch of zombies clicking over and over with nerves about to fry :rofl:) , 2) There is an issue with the ‘New update’, it give ‘‘Code hang’’ error . Meaning, when you get asked to give the book to Gareth? the whole page freeze on any choice you pick, though I admit, I tested it with 2 choices so far. And you are forced to close the window completely.

Edit: Weird, 1st choice work now. But when I tested with two choices (throw the book at him and leave, and being all cool delivering the book, it really froze)

Edit 2: nvm, working as intended lol

2 Likes

Manipulative Bastard has blurb included about how Antihero can fall into that, and Merlin definitely fits if he isnt straight villain.

Also Our Dear Writer should propably include IN PROCESS OF UPDATING RIGHT on front page when he edits the stuff, because small updates at blitzkrieg frequency make it almost certain we get false bugs.

1 Like