Tally Ho Spoilers Discussion

Then my job here is done. Excellent.

Howdy! I love, love this game…thank you so much for it!

Any tips on the Miracle of Childbirth achievement? I can’t figure it out! I thought maybe it had something to do with Valentine acting on the river, but I’ve had him run through all of the options and I can’t get there…

Thanks in advance for any tips! <3

Frankincense has to be your second in the boat race and there’s a chance to get that achievement right before choosing a path in the third round.

Less vague hint: You’ll need to stay very still (either with >60 culture or >60 bold) when Frankincense’s spider friend starts laying eggs on your head.

Yay…thank you!! Much appreciated.

Hi, I was just wondering how do I successfully get the peridot hairpin? I don’t know if someone else already asked, but I really need to know!

The choices are more cut and clear regarding what skills do what compared to other choices.

There’s are a couple different ways.
If you try to grab for the hair stick, you need bold > 40 and soothing < 30.
To tell him it’s on reserve, you need persuasion > 40 and soothing > 35.

And to steal it from him, you need skullduggery and observe > 40.

I have so far managed to unlock 61 out of 79 possible achievements (score: 755 out of 995).

I have yet to obtain the following achievements (not including 8 hidden endings):

Most of these achievements I know how to achieve but haven’t managed to garner them yet because my skill percentages were off. Examples would be:

When I was green in judgment: I always picked the box in Haze’s room successfully without getting sprayed with green dye. because my skullduggery, observe & intellect were quite high. So presumably this achievement requires the opposite, right?
Dramatic Irony does this refer to… climbing the iron fence surrounding the Mudwasp’s estate & landing on the spikes at the top of the fence by accident? If so, then low skullduggery + low observe presumably (+ low intellect possibly)
Poor Fielding: I’ve knocked out Fielding when I encounter him patrolling Ritornello but can’t for the life of me figure out how to knock him out when you first encounter him guarding the front gate of the estate when arriving with Figs dressed as the Professor! Low persuasion + low soothing/high abrasion?
The Champion: I always thought this referred to defeating Jabs McNab in single combat during the boat race which I have already done a number of times (in different ways) but I never get credit for it from the game. Bug? Or does the “Champion” refer to someone else in the game? A champion pie eater perhaps? I thot I saw an earlier posting about defeating Jabs with only intellect but I have never gotten this as an option when fighting her, despite my character having a high intellect rating when I do!

Bring on the comments!

I got Dramatic Irony when I refused to give Mopsie the keys and she hugged me and stole them

You get the Champion achievement when you Choose the middle path on the fork during the boat race, convince the gang of kids to let you take on the challenge (which you can complete with high intellect, bold, or culture) and you’re crowned the Champion.

@Gower I’m new in the CoG fandom and this is my first time writing in this forum but I wanted to tell you that I really enjoy the story and I really love the way you wrote your characters and story :blush: also can I ask you a question : what was your inspiration for haze and what is your view of haze’s character?

You need to fail both Fielding’s tests (where he asked who “Figs” is and what the “Q” in Hickory’s name stands for) and had selected the “some training in boxing” option back in Chapter 1 for the choice to knock him out to even show up!

Yes, old boy, that much I figured out already (but thank you for the reply nonetheless). Choosing the boxing option is an obvious requirement here… but the problem is this: when Fielding asks you about Figs, he will just believe whatever you tell him if your relevant skills (like persuade & soothing) are too high (note!). In this case, he will simply wave you thru the gates without incident (at least if Figs is dressed nicely in the Sultan outfit). And even if he asks the “Q” question, same thing: if your intellect is high, you will remember what the Q stands for and you never get the option to hit Fielding and knock him out!

I guess what I was hoping for here was a “you need to have persuade < 40 and soothing < 40” kind of reply in order to nail down specifically how low the relevant skills need to be to succeed in pissing Fielding off to the point where you can finally resort to knocking him out!

Part one:

For “smoothly reply” – the check is culture > 40 or soothing > 65

For “let Figs reply” – Figs’s disguise has to stink or Figs and Mopsie have to have their relationship in trouble. No visible stats to guide you here, I’m afraid.

For “distracting lie” – the check is soothing < 35 and skullduggery > 40

Part two:

For “recollect” – check is intellect > 50
for “explain”-- it’s persuade > 50
For open vigorously – it’s bold > 50

If you can fail all that, and are a pugilist, there you are!

Hi, @Jess1973!

Welcome to the forum, first of all! Thank you so much for your kind words about Tally Ho. I can’t tell you how much it means to me to know that people are playing and enjoying this game.

Now, on to Haze! In the accepted outline of Tally Ho, I knew two things about Haze. They were going to be a “thrill-seeking aristocrat” and Light-Fingered Lou. That was it. I had no personality in mind. I had a few moments that I knew I wanted, notably the bit about stealing champagne on the train. I didn’t know what Haze’s personality was like until I wrote that first scene with Haze in the second-class car.

On a whim, I decided to give Haze the dyed hair and the tattoo and the multiple piercings and then I paused. I realized that I was going seriously against genre. There’s nobody in Wodehouse like that, and I thought I was setting myself up for a problem maintaining tone. I thought it might be a terrible idea! But then I realized that Haze could be really great for calling attention to the story as a story. Haze is probably the smartest person in the story, and the least bound by social norms, and that combination turned out to be really useful in creating drama out of comedy and vice versa.

Haze’s voice and personality emerges completely full formed in the train scene without any hard work on my part. Once I saw that, I knew Haze was a keeper. Haze demanded to be in this game, and I had to make room. That is a total cliche of writing, but it was 100% true in this case.

As for inspiration–I think Haze has a distant relative in Prenzie from my Midsummer game. They have a mildly similar type of wit. I think Haze’s voice comes out of a type of comedy and insight that can only come out of a depressed point of view, if that makes sense. My own voice sounds a lot like Haze’s on a lot of days. Of course, my own voice often also sounds a lot like the other three love interests as well. I don’t think I am capable of writing a romantic lead that it’s in some sense me tapping into some deep part of me.

In answer to your last question, I have a view of Haze’s character, but I can’t find the right words now. I’ll mull it over.

“Leaning back languidly against the seat back, Haze sits up straighter as you approach, and then smiles at you with authentic pleasure in a way that strangers do not do…”

That’s the first bit I wrote about Haze, and that “in a way that strangers do not do” hit my ear interestingly.

@Gower I’ve recently finished a couple playthroughs of Tally Ho and made an account just to say this: you are brilliant, sir. Thanks for this experience.

On a side note, I had this freaky dream about it last night… about one of my two main characters, a male PC romancing a female Rory. A night in the immediate aftermath of the conclusion of the main story, the manor is attacked by an armed party, kill a couple inhabitants(I think Frankincense was amongst them, and a few servants) before the rest barricade themselves in. MC reveals himself as Johann Heinrich von Hochenstein, an undercover Abwehr agent using his appearance as a servant in aristocracy as a cover. He holds off the attackers while the rest retreat. I saw him(me?) fighting with a Luger pistol, then I woke up.

I have no idea how and why I had this dream but I want to dream the rest of it.

I’'ve been thinking about the Wordsworth poem, and how it might fit together with some of the larger themes of the game.

I mean, it’s a bit sad, with the poet’s beloved dying and all. But it feels like there’s a degree of contentment there. She might not be with us anymore, but she’s gone back to the earth, where she can paradoxically feed new life. “With rocks, and stones, and trees” seem to hint at that to me, anyway. Even the Earth’s diurnal cycle repeats every day or so.

It’s a bit like how Midsummer is set in the autumn, which hints at the swan song of the wealthy, frivolous lifestyle Aunt Primrose leads, as a very smart poster said up above. But the autumn isn’t endless, it eventually leads into winter, and then into spring.

You aren’t wrong. Rocks and stones are a sad thing, maybe, to think of one’s beloved rolling around the earth with, but trees are a different story. I went searching for where I stuck this poem in Tally Ho, and I had forgotten it’s so early on, in chapter three. I’m glad it’s there.

I think Tally Ho has every single thought and emotion that floated through my mind for the 12ish months it took to write it. It’s a good time capsule!

I can only imagine what Professor Hickory would make of that dream. Now I feel like we need a bonus episode, a dead serious one, where this scenario plays out. I think someone else other than me would need to write it!

Well I don’t know what to make of this. The only scene in the game involving my character getting a key is just after he descends the squeaky stairs/bannister in Aunt Primrose’s estate & encounters Mopsie standing at the bottom. She then says if you’re going out to take the spare key next to the front door. But after I do so, not once does she ever hug me or steal the key from me (despite playing the game thru many times). Instead, the game simply says “Taking the key you slip out…” Perhaps Gower can shed some light on the specifics involved in getting the Dramatic Irony achievement!

In order for Mopsie to steal the key from you, she needs to feel like it’s safe enough for her to venture out of the house, so there can’t be any human or canine patrols out. That connects to a decision you make in chapter one, where Aunt Primrose asks you how to protect the estate. Say that she should trust Mopsie.

Then Mopsie will try to pickpocket you if you take the key. Have skullduggery + observe less than 100 to fail. (or less than 90 if you have Shambles with you.)

(There’s a bit in chapter five–I forget exactly where–in which you can convince Aunt Primrose that the estate needs more guards, in which case dogs and human patrol might be added in even if you didn’t choose them in chapter one.)

But to the point, you can get the Dramatic Irony achievement by losing the key anywhere during your evening, not only by Mopsie taking the key away from you. There are probably a half-dozen such moments. You can lose them in the scene with the patrol, with the dogs, going over the gate, in the room with the chandeliers in the Mudwasps’ estate, running from Joey Knuckles in a botched escape in Miavaldi Manor. I think those are the main ones.

Does that help?