Skeletons Can't Press Charges [2 Chapters, 18k Words]

Talking about as a European that has nothing to do with that culture and way of talking. We always see that portrait that is for mocking black people so We feel normally uncomfortable around that slurs and way of talking.

Is like Latino we have a way of talking between friends that probably by others feel uncomfortable as they are from our culture. For instance we Latinos make jokes between us that if something not from our culture do same we get really upset as is something say for others is racist. Because they use that words as racism slur.

As being from a minority I understand why sometimes people get anxious or not like seen certain dialogue. So I glad your best friend could be your sensitive reader

3 Likes

Yes and no - context means everything. Culture and background means just as much and what is acceptable and within boundaries here in America will not be in places like Spain (as Mara’s critique of that RailRoad game showed)

So, all of this is something to take account of — are your Steam statistics broken down by region… if so, you might want to take your demographic audience’s expectations into consideration.

I’m running late, again, so I will continue this discussion in the near future if you desire :slight_smile:

Again, Sam, I am very glad you continue to write stories here.

5 Likes

I definitely get that! I would feel extremely uncomfortable with non-black people using the word nigga and I don’t use it myself. But when writing black characters using it in non-derogatory, casual ways, I’m comfortable with it.

@Eiwynn
To be fair, all my games have abysmal Steam ratings compared to the other platforms, so I’m not sure that would be too helpful in this case, haha. But I do get what you mean and I appreciate your advice.

Thanks. :star_struck:

Naturally, any tester who is black can feel free to add their thoughts on this. Your feedback would be the most valuable here.

2 Likes

Personally as someone from the UK who is not admittedly black I have never especially understood some African Americans’ comfort with using a word which was derogatory and racist for so long, even amongst themselves today. I remember Luke Cage had a great speech in one episode about how much he disliked that word.

But I guess that’s just me? I suppose some African Americans use it themselves so I cannot say it’s unrealistic.

Well, I think it’s a really amazing way of saying, “You used this word as a method of violence against us for hundreds of years? Well, now we’re taking it for ourselves, embracing it, and using it as something positive.”

“Nigga” is commonplace in hip hop music, movies with primarily black casts, and in black culture. The vast majority of black people, in my experience, are comfortable using it.

I forgot that we have a lot of Europeans here, haha. Love you guys. :grin:

3 Likes

Try to make clear somehow (maybe in a disclaimer and triggering warning?) That those words are only used in certain context of common community usage and never by other groups and never as racist. Because probably a European will read that without context… Oh i don’t want read this that use racism wording.

I know you won’t because I know you. But a casual won’t know you and will mistake you for something you aren’t

Eh, at first blush, I don’t like that idea. This is a story set in America, written by an American. Black characters saying “nigga” should not be considered negative as a default.

6 Likes

I love this WIP :heart_eyes: kind of my 2 cents:

I’m from the Midwest as well (Fort Lost-in-the-Woods so we got all kinds moving to and from) and I can say that using “nigga” endearingly is commonplace and the times ive heard anything derogatory is uneducated racist people i have met who’ve used the “er” ending :rage: but I do see why people in other countries see it as derogatory still while its prominent in american culture.

@Samuel_H_Young maybe add a content warning where people can opt out of it still if theyre still not comfortable with it. Like make n a variable and if they are ok with it set it to “nigga” and if theyre not change it to something tame like “dude” or “my man” something like that? I just realized mara suggested the same thing :sweat_smile: this is what happens when i listen to someone while spacing out on typing

3 Likes

I know but In Europe at least here and Belgium were part my family live. People considering that as super racist they won’t enter in thinking Oh it is common in America. I know because several films were word censoring to not including Racism slurs or put directly as mature.

I say this as a marketing advice because casuals can look demo and directly give you worst rating saying THIS IS SUPER RACIST DON’T READ IT. certain YouTubers were social critized for using them in Europe

1 Like

I am not sure how widespread the use of that word is among black people in the UK, certainly I have never heard any use it in a passive context. Maybe it’s more an American thing? :thinking: That reasoning does make sense though, even if I don’t like it. Brits might feel that way because of how much more overall multicultural we feel now, or maybe it’s the way the Empire was involved in stopping slavery (whilst admittedly also wanting to control half the world at one point). I dunno.

Allowing for a replacement or giving a disclaimer is probably a good idea.

2 Likes

Yeah same for spain. We made slave trade so we feel terribly uncomfortable because the suffering we caused to humanity in general and African Americans in general. So reminds us our worst moments. However afro Americans have all rights to used them as their is their prerogative as minorities.

1 Like

I guess I’m a bit more open to putting a disclaimer for the dialect since there’s a far share of European fans here. Not that I’m in a huge hurry, but that is probably a safe idea before Skeletons hits the markets.

Btw, I kinda wanna add that the goofy/fun/silly/jackass element in Chapter One was at maximum because the rest of the story is going to be grim, depressing, and dark, so I wanted some contrast.

2 Likes

Yeah and no problem as demo will have grim moments people will not get a wrong idea. Also if you introduce choices to be more actively against them that would make the goofy part be less predominant. Like I totally want to see Mosquito guy being killed by millions of them… That would be a great scenario

Here’s the sweet baby face who is the inspiration for Luna in this story. Luna!

9 Likes

LUNA YOU CANNOT KILL HER OR I WILL RIOT so cuteee I would don’t mind read a book only about Luna

1 Like

I’ve had this weirdo for 8 years so it’s strange I’m only making her a character now. :scream_cat:

You said the exact same thing about Mowbow. :joy::ok_hand:

6 Likes

As everything that has a cat. If anything had a cat world were far better. That and if a choice were keep Mowbow alive of rest of village you know my choice…

like if Choice is save this guys or pet luna you already know my choice

1 Like

Oh, a new Samuel H. Young WIP to grace my otherwise uneventful evening? Don’t mind if I do.

First of all, WHEW do I have the hots for Gustavo. I don’t know how you always manage to write perfect, sexy gay romances that just light my heart on fire, but you certainly know what you’re doing. His entire personality screams “bad decisions” and, obviously, that’s why I’m attracted to him, so kudos. Hoping we can get to the fun stuff real quick with him.

I also really appreciate your snarky narration. It wasn’t as prominent in MMM because of the subject matter, but here, it really shines. I love the choices we can make and I also particularly like that I can choose to be an alcoholic non-stoner who loves his mom just like I am in real life. I’m not sure where the plot is going yet but I suspect it’s going to be quite interesting given the dramatic opening.

Minor typo, unless Dustin is committing surprise murder.

Good luck! I’m definitely keeping my eye on this one. (Oh, and Luna is cute as hell!)

4 Likes

I thought that shiving was a innuendo of you could guess what… he alone and panting. So he wasn’t in a private banging with himself?

3 Likes

Oh Mara, where would we be without your beautiful innuendos? :joy:

3 Likes