Seas of Aquobo (WIP, working title, previously named Modern Piracy) 4-28-15 update

Say hello to a world of piracy, but I’m not talking of a world of parrots and cannon balls, I’m talking about the new age of piracy, one with machine guns, speedboats, and heavy explosives. After customizing the village you come from, set out into the world to lead a pirate organization along with two co-founders, although who knows, maybe you’re a rich boy, and founded it yourself. Co-ordinate your assaults, establish intel connections to discover the biggest hauls to target, and rise in power until you are the top dog in he pirate world. Buy weapons, choose your targets well, and build up your base of operations. The pirates of old forged their legend by dominating trade routes, forge your legend by building a force to take the world by storm. With randomized encounters, political throw downs with enemies and friends alike, bodyguards, bombs and choices so dynamic they even have a chance at changing the gameplay itself, this is the piracy game that will show the old age how it’s done.

4-21-15 update
Worked on the combat system today and started integrating a loot system. The most important change however is that the game will now take place in a fictional world so I can create a more exciting and lore-filled experience. thinking of adding artifacts as a magic system, it would give an edge to the wielder and help boost the lore behind these new island nations.

4-28-16 update
loot system successfully integrated, name change from Modern Piracy, and lore expanded on. Suggestions for names of nations through PM welcome.

9 Likes

Sounds awesome! Can’t wait for a demo.

Oh i thought this was about piracy… like stealing on internet… i mean that is the most known and modern

I’ll keep things updated as I make progress. polishing up the progress I’ve made on the combat system then I’ll set up village creation. Not quite sure when I’ll have a demo up, either will be up until the point the player sets out from their village, or just after the first battle (although I’m adding ways to negate each battle, some allowing you to keep the full loot, others none at all.)

internet piracy is pretty modern, but more lives are ruined by the kind that goes on at sea. (sorry if I offended anyone, I was not downplaying the harm internet piracy could cause.)

What different personality types will be available?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/look-at-me-im-the-captain-now-meme-funny-2.jpg

:stuck_out_tongue: But seriously this seems promising! From the title I assume it’s going to be modern-day but is this following a catastrophe or something that brings more vessels to the ocean and trade lanes? Otherwise the ocean is a pretty daggum big place and it’s easy to avoid anyone on it since it’s, you know, incredibly huge.

7 Likes

No yatchs on my ocean, they’re the easiest targets.

I haven’t put names to them yet but here’s a general rundown of different personalities you could create.

A ruthless scourge of the seas, trusting few, trusted by none, you slaughtering every man, woman, and child that stands between you and your success. As long as money is involved, nothing else will stop you from completing a goal. “survivors” and “mercy” are two words that are nowhere near your vocabulary.

A calculated miser, trusting only your inner circle, every move you make is for the gain of money. When you capture a ship, not one person is killed if it can be avoided, but that’s only so you can hold them for ransom. Exchanging extravagance for efficiency, you crave the wealth that would rival a king.

A compassionate diplomat, with a silver tongue and a sharp mind, you treat your crew as you did your own flesh and blood. When a solution can be found without bloodshed, you take it, but at the end of the day, you’re still on these seas for profit, just like everyone else.

While these can be bent around a bit, I think they displayed some of the possibilities. Ruthlessness is a stat in the files, and will determine the guilt you have after unwarranted killings.
Also, interactions with each decision would cause different parts of the personality to shift, so I couldn’t pin down all the combinations.

@dashingdon That made me laugh it will be held in modern days but I’m pretty sure hundreds, maybe even thousands of vessels are attacked, boarded, and sometimes hijacked every year, few are high profile targets though, and sometimes, they aren’t even reported because the owner of the ship doesn’t want it on his insurance record. Primary targets include anywhere from fishing vessels to cargo freighters. Although these days, the pirates don’t go after the cargo most of the time, they are after the cash help by passengers and in the captain’s strongbox for payroll and docking fees. Also, much more noise is caused when they hold the ship and passengers hostage, but they make millions a piece when that happens.
n thousands of vessels are attacked, boarded, and sometimes hijacked every year, few are high profile targets though, and sometimes, they aren’t even reported because the owner of the ship doesn’t want it on his insurance record. Primary targets include anywhere from fishing vessels to cargo freighters. Although these days, the pirates don’t go after the cargo most of the time, they are after the cash help by passengers and in the captain’s strongbox for payroll and docking fees. Also, much more noise is caused when they hold the ship and passengers hostage, but they make millions a piece when that happens.

@Dark_Stalker are you sure you want no yatchs? you have to be somewhat wealthy to own a yacht, and who knows how much cash that same wealthy person is carrying, or even how much his family would pay to see him safe.

I meant I would capture them all…

I like calculated misor… pragmatic pirates.

gotcha. Well the only problem would be that rich people sail in rich waters most of the time, and you won’t have the firepower to deal with navies until you’re way down the road.
Although I looked it up, and there are actually countries whose navy barely has a dozen guards for coasts.

This sounds fantastic.

Bookmarked. Can’t wait to see how your WIP develops.

I think the problem with modern piracy is… well, the gov has waaaaaaaaay bigger guns than the pirates.

Beatdown AKs, a handful of RPGs, slippers made from plastic jugs and antiquated fisher boat with speedboats on board versus missile destroyers, naval commandos, helicopters, phase array radars and the whole apparatus of modern military. It is not like 18th century when the pirates and the navies use mostly same weaponry like 16 pounders and 32 pounders.

Still I am looking forward for the game, the idea itself is very novel and original, which sounds like a good start to me. :smile:

Can we have a pirate party island where we give our hostages Stockholm syndrome? :slight_smile:

@BEIC well the player won’t start off in an area that even has those. Very few countries can find a navy that could deter all attacks. Needless to say, if the U.S. ever becomes a target, it’s going to be way later in the game.

@Shoelip I didn’t even think of that…hmm, I would have to do some research into Stockholm first. I will consider it though as a recruiting method.

@Hell_Satan That’s actually a pretty good idea. It could be that you have a choice to allow them on your flagship as a rescue effort, but if they have you outgunned at the time, they hijack it.

@Shawnheatherly @Silverstone Glad to hear, I’ll be sure to get a demo up pretty soon, going at the pace I’m going I should have a decent demo ready in about a few weeks (Could be sooner, or longer, I was estimating, and I have no idea how long the play testers will take to root out the bugs first. )

Hm, can we kidnap the crew of a ship carrying ten million copies of Madden NFL 2016 and then scuttle it with the cargo still on board? :smiley: D

Well I suppose I could add Madden into the loot data base, what you do with it is up to you.

Gets copies of Manhunt
This will be your training sim.

We should probably stay on topic to the game, but wow, I have to get a copy of manhunt.