Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

See, while I get the drama thing, drama can be done in a good way or in a bad. If I may offer criticism, this was cliche. “He likes her and he is my friend but she likes me even though I never showed any feelings for her and then she wants to get it on with me which ultimately leads Hatch to being bitter about it regardless of my choices”: this trope was done million times. And, issue is, why would I care? I am badass ronin with massive scar on my stomach from my crazy ex who travels the world to defeat demons; there is little reason for me to care about Momoko’s and Hatch’s drama, especially since Momoko is not that high on popularity list to begin with.

I am sorry if I came off as harsh, but Book 2 really had this feel to it as if I was guided by the hand. Once again, theater with Momoko: odd. If I can’t go with Masami, I would rather giver tickets to Momoko and Hatch. Me going to Momoko? Odd. I just won the tournament that Masami worked her ass off and yet I cannot tell Momoko to simply wait to spend some time with her? PC repeats how she feels like bad bodyguard and how she wants to be better and protect her more, yet it never happens; until Momoko leaves at least.

Issue is not that players want to be in control or op, no. Issue is that people want to feel like they have a choice. I still don’t see why Masami cannot be potential romance. If age is an issue, do a timeskip or suddenly make her birthday happen and boom, she is legal.

But hey, I am just sharing opinions here, don’t think like I am trying to tell you what to do. Once again, I do apologize if previous reply was bit harsh-ish since I wrote it when I, as I said, was kinda tipped off x3

3 Likes

Honestly from what Book One described her, she’s basically around 14-15 and that’s being far too generous with the estimated age.The series sometime has shown her to be emotionally immature which would be consistent with a pre-teenager tantrum. But like I said, even discussing this possibility is quite repulsive to some readers and bringing this up now would just cause another “discussion” that I’d rather not see again on this thread.

15 Likes

i mean. I know we will see her again. But think about it. after what Junko did to her. Think your heart and your MCs heart can take it?

Forgive me if im wrong. i should remember this correctly. Didnt Toshie prevent the MC from taking Masami. So from process of elimination and i dont expect Hatch to come so ill leave him out (and Basho sucks so him too), if asking him was a possibility remind me please, so wouldnt that leave only Momoko to go with you?

2 Likes

A resounding yes from me.

This might make me sound heartless but I wasn’t all that interested in Momoko to begin with. Her being hurt is unfortunate, but it will not stop the course she is currently on and will do anything to achieve at this point.(By her course I am referring to my MC of course)

After that revelation with Junko from the demon, my character is ready to do anything to make it up to her and save her from herself. Despite hurting Momoko in the way she did. It doesn’t matter to her if other people don’t agree with her decision, she knows it’s what she needs to do. Because she still loves Junko. :angry:

8 Likes

IIRC, Devon make it clear since Book 1 that this series will be a bit linear. I do love my choices that make big impact to the overall but I have come to accept that this title will be not be one of those because this was choice of the author. Although I have the same concerns as some point with the linearity, it seems the author will stand by with it. I do love the story and the characters so I will continue on with the series.

It is quite easy to say this and that but in my view, if author could do so, he will make it happen but if the author can’t make it work, then it is best to decide if you as a reader want to continue on with the series or not. It is quite unfortunate to lose readers and I think Devon understand that but you can’t really cater to everyone’s taste.

But overall, the age issue with Masa has been discussed since Book One and I don’t think we will be productive since the author have already step in on Masa and them being a RO so it’s best that we leave it at that.

3 Likes

Then we must agree to disagree. You save Junko and i kill Junko. Agreed?

See, this is the issue though; why would I want to go with Momoko? MC is not someone who likes theaters and I never made it a point that I like Momoko so, like, it just felt forced.

1 Like

I mean, I did not know that this was brought up before since I picked the game up 4 days ago. SO, you know? Still, I do think that not including her in as RO is just, well, short-sided at best. Will I bash creator for it? Not really, no. Will I very vocally disagree with this decision and tel me whys though? Absolutely.
Though, guess this means that I will have to romance Junko or be alone forever. After all, Momoko is just too bland while Toshie…I honestly don’t see her loving anyone but her Emperor.

Understandable since reading thousands of post is quite daunting. The age issue has been debated various time that it borders to derailing the topics so we try stop any post rehashing the issue further since there’s a search function for those curious about the debates so we apologize if we cut off the issue as soon as possible. It would be probably helpful if Devon has a FAQ in his website to help the newcomers though.

I cannot understand Masa’s appeal to be honest but it is really unfortunate to those who are interested with them. As for Toshi, it’s very hard to gauge but I did enjoy the moments my Ronin have with them throughout the series specially in Book 3. We have three books left so I hope for the best, what I do know: Devon is not a romance writer so I don’t get my hopes too high. :joy: I would probably expect shonen level romance but not shoujo type romance. :smiley:

5 Likes

Personally, I feel like the next three books are going to have a span of one year seeing what Satusma said in Book One when we met him at the temple. So if my hunch is correct, then we’re probably going to see more action and romance, especially the demon slaying job we kind of have to do. But yeah, this series seems to lean on more towards the action and the character development of the ronin and those around him so I wouldn’t expect too much for the romance either. I mean, they’re pretty tricky to write from what I’ve seen because you’d have to make sure the chemistry between a couple would be natural and if there’s no chemistry then it’s pretty much a bad romance.

1 Like

You don’t watch anime, do you?

2 Likes

The final word on Masami/Masashi is simply this: because they are depicted as an underaged character, there will be no intimate scenes without some sort of timeskip involved. That said, there will still be plenty of other scenes between the kid and the ronin without a timeskip.

One thing I’d like to reiterate is that Samurai of Hyuga is a series of hopefully six books. That’s an epic, and I hope readers understand that its relative linearness (by CYOA standards) isn’t just due to author preference, but to story necessity. I cannot have far-branching choices when I have several books left to go. I wouldn’t be able to create coherent stories if I did!

Huge, world-shaping branches along with good endings, bad ones and even harem ones–these are all things I’d love to write. But there’s only one place I can put them, and that’s at the end after all the build-up is in place and the actors are in order. I hope I’ve managed to explain why!

40 Likes

Three cheers for harem ending.

11 Likes

And why is that your conclusion?

Because you can’t see the drawl of a tsundere and that there is a prominent Lolita following. If you know the anime troups, you can see the main cast fills those. Masa is a tsundere, toch a kuudere, hatch a deredere, momoko is a dandere, and Jun a Yandere. This is a pretty anime styled game, all the stuff you’re complaining about is involved in anime too.

I’m getting Masa RO war flashbacks.

4 Likes

Nah nah, I’m going for the yandere, I can’t afford a harem. Heck I might not be able to afford the yandere.

14 Likes

Really not sure how that relates to whatever I have said. I mean, for once, Samurai of Hyuga is not anime…and we can pretty much stop the whole thing at that.

2 Likes

I don’t want to be forced to love Junko but at the same time I cannot discount the importance of their past relationship history and how it creates drama in the present and how this drama stirs reactions and change in the characters. But I do kind of wish there would be some choice to make about something in their past, to feel more invested in it rather than being completely told what happened and accept it to be something your ronin would do.

On the other hand the story does seem to be heading towards overcoming a dark past and maybe the potential choices that the Present Day ronin can make compared to their desperate murderous former self, but who knows…

Probably an unpopular opinion but I kind of like Momoko and certainly at the very least care more about her than I do for Junko, simply because I got to know her better while Junko is… kind of shallow. They have a hold over the MC but I never feel as though they’ve earned authority on defining and influencing the MC, rather we’re simply just told how major they are.

Or maybe its just my ingrained personal bias against Jun(ko) but I’m trying to learn to accept that while I personally don’t care for them, my ronin obviously does harbor strong feelings. This dissonance is bothersome but bearable - I still like this series even if I have no sentimentality towards Junko because I remain invested in the story and the other main characters.

3 Likes

I get the feeling we’re going to learn way more about her and our characters past in the next book. I’m not really good at typing out long messages and detailing why I think this. But it is a serious feeling I have. Perhaps he will also give us a few flashback scenes in which we can choose how we reacted or did something when we were younger with her.

2 Likes