Rokusuppo: Fighting/high school brawler style game?

I’ve been toying with an idea and want to know what people think of it before I do work on it. I don’t want to start too many projects at once for one thing since I’m just getting back to my old WIP and don’t want to derail too much time from that.

But I was thinking of a WIP in the spirit of fighting games like Rival Schools and Kenka Badass Rumble. You’d be a highschool kid brawling other people and possibly if developed later on, competing in a underground fighting tournament of some sort.

Currently, the main character has three possible schools to start with. Saint Sada, who take studying and rules seriously but don’t have problems using violence to enforce them or just establishing their ways are better. North Point, a rich kid academy whose faction is mostly made up of just generally bored kids without anything better to do. Then the public school which is a lot more populated and wild than the other two.

This also affects what characters the main character starts with as school friends meaning that starting in one route, you will encounter different characters from other schools later in the game, hopefully.

I don’t quite have enough ready for a short demo yet, but I might eventually later this week depending on work and if it doesn’t tract too much of my focus from my other WIP.

55 Likes

Sounds interesting you should make it.

This idea is just weird enough for me to get behind XD joking aside I love the idea

1 Like

Sound cool, we only have one martial art game so this would be awsome!

How were you thinking of using techniques or styles?

1 Like

Yup, definitely interested. Hurray for good old fashioned violence!

1 Like

I was wondering that. I was thinking since that most are kind of general street punks, it would be basically along the lines of Wild and aggressive versus defensive. Speed and power are probably going to be factors.

Maybe later on the MC could pick up a more disciplined and proper fighting method. I assume it’s fine to use the names of real life styles since I doubt anyone has copyright to the existence of things like Mauy Thai(Which one character already uses moves like that anyway.)

1 Like

Honestly for scope reasons I think it’d be better to have the game set in 1 school, yet with different starting areas/ factions.

I mean the system in place sounds good, but perhaps miight be a lot to code/ write.

Also, if you’re going to make a whole combat system, don’t forget about dodgin’ and such.

Or at least don’t make it a viable strat to max strength and spam hit haha

1 Like

Hmm…you have a point. It is going to be a lot at first which is why it’s taking so long to do the first chapter. But eventually it will all start to converge at one point and the differences will become more slight.

On to the one stat part. It’s hard to say. I don’t feel like players should be punished for choosing one thing over the other…but it’s also kind of bullcrap to make one option that works for every possible situation. It’s kind of why I resent Charisma stats in COG games where talking is the magic answer to every situation ever.

But in a more realistic way, the same style against a bunch of different opponents probably wouldn’t work. Don’t get me wrong, the MC will be tough, but a lot of the main characters aren’t going to be pushovers themselves. It seems kind of silly that only one method would win against a variety of styles,

sounds interesting but I agree with @fairlyfairfighter it’d be better to pick one school and focus on that one.

This allows you focus your writing and story then once you’ve finished that you could always add the other two schools later on. It’ll also benefit from having the other path written.

For example say in the public school path there might be a fee for entry into the underground fighting tournament so the MC has to find ways to earn the money whereas the rich school path the MC might have enough money regardless so they can spend time doing other things instead.

You could probably even have a throwaway comment in each path where someone comments on theywere unlucky that their best fighter was unavailable, a nod to the potential MC from that school.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s probably best but don’t forget that some fight by relying on being tough as a rock and tiring the opponent out so mabye strength,speed,and toughness
Or mabye make power both strength and toughness while quickness is both speed and skill
A lot of styles were made before copyright was a thing so I think you are good

From experience (i.e, my current WiP) introductions and prologues, e.g. choosing background, stats, gender, etc. should be very different (e.g. in my WiP you can start as an orphan, noble person, wizards apprentice, or with family, but all the stories are similar but in alternate universes (as in, in all situations house burn down; family members die.)

This, for little likely financial reward, takes a lot of effort, however most people I’ve shown it to say it shows from the outset your choices matter.

A good compromise, perhaps, would be that you can have the different starting schools, which can affect stats, friends, etc, but quickly move into a neutral area (e.g. tornament/ underground abandoned place) where all players have to go, and add a few *if background = kinda comments.

I completely agree. I’m not sure on the rules of this whole fight thing, but even I know a MMA artist is going to beat a grappler or boxer no matter how skilled they are.

Self defence ftw, (But even then there’s stuff like “Can you use weapons” or if in a sporting environment what you can and can’t do)

Oh and

Also seems like a good idea to add, after all readers love having their choices acknowledged

I’ve been looking for a choice game of this type, so I’m really excited for it. Good luck with the Wip!

Sounds interesting can’t wait for demo

Sounds interesting if we get to explore the delinquent subculture. So many possible conflicts too i.e school administration, family, gangs and rep. Hm, will gangs and reputation be a a thing? And what would the end goal be?

1 Like

The idea remind me of Kyõ kara ore wa!! Very interesting… I loved that anime (never had a chance to read the manga), so I would be very interested in a similar setting!

Hmm… I’d definitely be interested if the MC were fighting to protect somebody rather than just brawling for the heck of it, but i supposed that can be an option too xD

… Could you choose which ranking school you go to?? :open_mouth: :smiley:

I like your idea for the story, But it would have to depend on how you writing it. Would it be more comedy moments with some serious moments or more serious moments with some comedy moments, Or half and half That idea I’ll say I like the most but it would have to depend on how you want to write your own story?

First. Wow. People really jumped on board with the concept already. Which is awesome because just the way I feel we really don’t have enough games(here) that involve beating people senseless.

Secondly…it’s hard to say. Keep in mind that it would probably pick up as time goes by in later chapters and when characters routes get expanded on, but since I’m still not even done the first part yet, that’s pretty far off.

1 Like

If you decide to do this game what kind of fighting styles do you have planned or can we create our own and will it be realistic fighting or anime crazy aka rage modes and creative finishing moves

1 Like

It’s probably going to be somewhat exaggerated but I wasn’t really planning on any great energy waves or transforming super robos. Fighting styles themselves I thought would be based on more actual methods like Sambo, Krav Maga, BJJ, but also with the logical conclusion.

Fact is, unless you are constantly getting into fights, then just knowing a style is just about useless. The best fighters really are just people who do it all the time, training or not. But given that the MC is likely the kind of person whose used to that stuff, they are likely among the people who can actually do those things well.

Other note. Weapon styles? If anyone is wondering? Probably not. That’s just not how Bancho do.

2 Likes