Rainvale - (WIP) Update 15/08

I’ve decided to finally face my fears and make a game. I’m really new to this, so if I make any mistakes, please point them out to me.

Rainvale is a story series that I’ve been working on for a few months, and this game is mostly based on it, but it does deviate quite a bit in order to work better as a game.

You are a new detective in the supernatural capital of the world, chosen specifiically for a reason that you are unaware of. Your job is to investigate crimes involving supernaturals, which constitutes most of the crime in the town, while also learning more about the mysterious secret service that protects the town from the shadows.

I can’t really make any promises on how often I’ll update, especially since I have a habit of starting projects and then getting distracted by something else, but I’ve wanted to do this for ages, so hopefully I’ll stick to it. I also might change the title at a later date, but I’m very bad at naming things.

Demo link: https://dashingdon.com/play/shield619/rainvale/mygame/index.php?cb=49950

54 Likes

Seems like an interesting project! I’ll definitely look out for updates.

2 Likes

It seems off to a good start. I’ll keep my eyes out for this. :relaxed:

1 Like

First of all- urban fantasy! I’m a huge fan of urban fantasy so you definitely caught my eye right off the bat with that.

Second of all- I like what you have so far! It holds a lotta promise and I’m definitely curious to know why it is we were hired if even the MC doesn’t know.

I guess the one curiosity/question I have would be about your world in general- have the more supernatural citizens always been around or is there a reason for them having come into existence?

So… yeah! It seems interesting- so I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on your project here! Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks! It really means a lot that you like it so far.

As for your question, supernaturals have always been around, but they used to be a lot rarer until something happened, which will be elaborated on in the story, but maybe not for a while, I’m still working out pacing.

3 Likes

Interesting Project I’ll keep my eye on it (bookmarked thread!)

Couple of Grammar Mistakes

You enter a large, open plan room. There are desks dotted around, some with people sat at them that you assume are the other detectives.

Some with people sitting at them

Chief Bishop is sat at her desk, her hands clasped in front of her, and she nods at you, and motions for you to sit at one of the empty chairs.

Sitting

Just want to pop in and congratulate you on your first game! Already liked and bookmarked! Have my eye on this one.

Good luck, and most importantly, have FUN!

Thanks for catching those :slight_smile: That’s what I get for writing at like 2 in the morning.

Thanks, I’m glad you liked it!

2 Likes

I like what little is up lol Plus Angel Grayson is officially Dick Grayson in my mind now.

3 Likes

One question, are there going to be RO?

Yes, many! I’m still working out the exact amount and who they’ll be, but there could be up to 12.

4 Likes

That many?! Are you sure? Because from lurking I do to many other wip, it’s really difficult to have many ro

Maybe it’s a bit too ambitious, but I’m going to give it a try. I may cut it down if it does prove to be too many, but that’s how many characters are possible ROs. I may make a distinction between committed and casual ROs, so that I can have the romance scenes with some without it affecting too much. I just really like romance.

1 Like

Romance is awesome, but I agree that 12 may be too many. I have trouble juggling 4 options, who switch gender based on player preference. If you count in the differences with the MC—male, female, non-binary, etc. … then all the sexual preferences… that makes for a lot of scene variations, especially if you want the romances to have a different feel from the other options. Unless all the romances are going to play out the exact same way, in that case 12 options might not be too much to handle. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s definitely something to think about. And I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

1 Like

I see, I do hope you luck with this project :slight_smile: this link maybe can help you since you seems new to this

Yeah, now that I think about it, I’ve gone through my list, and I’ve reduced the number to 8, and there’s 4 male and 4 female, so hopefully that’ll be easier, and there’ll be someone for everyone hopefully.

6 Likes

Sounds interesting can we become a werewolf or anything

This looks pretty neat.
Looking forward to see where this goes,especially the romance judging from what you’ve been saying about it.

You can’t become supernatural, but there is a reason for that.

Thanks! Romance will probably end being a much larger part than I intended, because that’s what always happens when I write something.

So right now I’m currently writing introduction scenes for all of the detectives, and since there are 8 it might take a while, but I’m hoping to have it done today, and I’m also hoping I won’t be up until 6 in the morning working on this again :sweat_smile: When I’ve done that, I’ll also update the description of the game to add a bit more information, because as I previousy mentioned, I was up very late when I made this.

I always like crime mystery and your writing style is good. So, I am going to watch it’s development. :+1: