Ok what is it gonna be

@Wyrmspawn, no horror CoGs… you mean besides the two Zombie games, the Nightmare Maze, Blood for Poppies in progress, and the (criminally underrated) comic horror of Eerie Estate Agent? :slight_smile:

I agree we’ve barely tapped the possibilities of the genre, but there’s a half-decent start.

In Warfighters, it would be good if you can fight for all sides, believing yourself to be fighting for the faction in the right. After all, very few people ever believe that they are evil and enjoy being evil.

Most are unaware that they are evil, or aware of it but unable to extract themselves from their evil because of the benefits it brings. For example, I don’t think the Crusaders from both sides ever doubted that they were in the right.

It would give the game a greater meaning if you can fight for any faction, and if all of the paths depict your own faction as the only good faction there is, like it happens in real life. I don’t think there’s a clear line cut between acts that say: Over here is the side of Justice, while here is the side of Evil.

What happens, is that you have a vast, grey plain, over which everyone sees different shades of black and white. Some people believe that they are in the right, others believe that they are in the wrong. But except for a few, no one ever willingly embraces the idea that he or she is evil. Not really.

Well, I guess that’s all I can say for Warfighters.

On the other hand, Legends would be good if it didn’t also sound slightly used. Through the Void sounds most novel and original of the lot, although in retrospect I agree that it might prove more difficult to write. Mystery and horror are both genres that require a delicate balance between progress and setbacks in the storyline, but if Through the Void can strike this balance, I think it will be a game that is simutaneously original, fun, and suitable for all ages and nations.

We have some Science Fiction on CoG, we have some Fantasy, we have some games that involve wars and the future, but what we don’t have are horror games. That is why I think that Through the Void sounds most interesting and promising.

P.S. Was the name of Through the Void inspired by the nickname you have adopted?

@Wyrmspawn @Havenstone

You forget Choice of a vampire.

Dude. How could I forget Choice of a Vampire? (forehead smack)

@Havenstone

I haven’t pointed out forgetting about Unnatural either lol

Well, to be fair, Choice of a Vampire wasn’t exactly terrifying. It went more along the lines of Twilight than Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Now, about the zombie games. Choice of Zombies never described much scary scenes, and was more focused on the action aspect. The same might be said of Zombie Exodus, except it requires a lot more strategy and has a greater cast of characters.

Blood for Poppies is reasonably good at horror, but seems more like a mystery and mental horror rather than physical horror. Blood for Poppies involves more of exploring the darkest aides of the human mind than physical horror stories. You don’t feel the same fear in Blood for Poppies as the fear you feel from reading The Raven or watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Unnatural is more action-oriented than horror oriented. For horror stories, I usually prefer it if there is little action. The helplessness of the main character usually adds to the fear of a story.

Now, one might say that the Nightmare Maze is a horror story. However, it involves a mental exploration of one man’s mind rather than an exploration of the horrors of a mind. It was, if you will, a mental mystery. There was nothing physical and little fear in it.

Lastly, Eerie Estate Agent, which I have bought. It was quite good, and the scene with the medium was well written. However, the rest of it merely suggested something paranormal, and it was written more along the lines of how an estate agent struggles to remain where he is in the company.

Overall, I’d say CoG has done little in Paranormal horror and less in physical horror, something that Talon, MaraJade, Fantom, and a few others are working on changing (see the serial killer thread. However, work has gone underground at another site, as it is a group project that requires a lot of posts.).

So, I think that another mystery game that reveals a horrific ending would be good.

On a side note, would anyone like a story in which you are destined to die, no matter your choices? A tragedy, in CoG style?

@Wyrmspawn Twilight? 'Twas far more akin to the work of Anne Rice, if you ask me.

And everyone loves a good tragedy.

Im thinking now between Trough the void and Warfighters
And @Wyrmspawn i might make a war game with faction after these

@Wyrmspawn

I’d hate it if my character would die no matter what. If there was a genuine reason ie suffering from a terminal illness then death at the end might be ok. But to be killed no matter what would suck. You should always offer at least one way of surviving otherwise the replayability is lost imo.

For example Unnatural will have 10 endings, 7 where your character dies but 3 where he/she survives.

Like Twilight…? Yoicks. If all you mean is that it’s not super-scary, there are kinder comparisons you could make. :slight_smile: CoV had way less romance than Dracula, let alone Twilight; unlike both, it spends more time on politics than sex. And @Drazen’s right that it’s got an obvious Anne Rice genealogy.

Also not sure you meant to imply that The Raven was physical horror? I’d have thought that was a fine example of “exploring the darkest sides of the human mind,” quite like Blood for Poppies, rather than a contrast.

Sounds like what you’re really missing is physical horror that doesn’t reach the level of action – and it’s true, we’ve yet to see Choice of the Chainsaw Massacre. “Through the Void” sounds like it might lean more toward paranormal, but hey, get your order in to @P0RT3R now, and it might yet be physical horror in space…

@Nocturnal, sorry – was unconsciously classing Unnatural as magical cops action adventure, but of course it’s another terrific example of a horror WiP. :slight_smile:

I am going for trough the void ind maby im able to post a demo this week :slight_smile: and one thing: maby it isn’t physical… :-))

@Havenstone

“Magical Cop Action Adventure” ? sounds like a new genre on its own lol

I do see what @Wyrmspawn means though, Unnatural was going to be darker than it turned out to be, I added a bullet variable to track the number of bullets you had left to make you think before you pulled the trigger, but as of yet I don’t think its possible to use up all your bullets. Its one of my targets with the cases in Episode 6, to actually make people need to check their bullet count.

FunFact: i came up with all of these story’s by music so every story has its song

Just reread Unnatural for the first time in ages – since before there were illustrations, for one thing – and it’s definitely horror. It contains this exchange:

“I’m going to look upstairs,” you tell Sarah.

“Okay, I’ll keep looking down here. Shout if you need me!”

'Nuff said. :slight_smile:

@P0RT3R: look forward to seeing your demo! What’s the song for Through the Void?

I’d vote for through the void. That one sounds like it could be fun! Are you already making it?

TWILIGHT!? TWI-FUCKING-LOIGHT!? THW ATH HTKLAWAFKNDKH*(@@(*UY@IN@HF

You’re banned, @Wyrmspawn

Well, not really. But I’m sorely tempted.

and the incredible jason goes a little nuts
just kidding :wink:

Void would be my first choice, legend my second.

Song Trough the void: Hardwell - Apollo
Song Stardust: Draper - Night rider
Song Clouds: Tut Tut child - Hummingbird
Song Warfighters: Matduke - Shivers
Song Legends: Ellie Goulding - Lights

I will start today

Oh for the love of… Jason’s reaction to being compared to Twilight. The hilarity. I haven’t laughed like that in a while.