Of Gods And Mortals (WIP - Updated 18/11/17)

Nice! I’m liking the sound of that!

1 Like

You already seem to have an interesting concept of how these supernatural aspects would operate. The way the energy of the MC themselves separates and returns depending on the amount of humans that worship them leaving when they die would make it very interesting in the sense that parallels could be created with the Aztecs. As they believed performing sacrifices would strengthen the gods they worshiped, and with a system like this it would definitely be the case since I could definitely see a deity commanding them to kill one another in order to return some of their strength. The age of secularism near the end would definitely make sense considering the deity would just break down more and more due to natural increased human population, and simply spreading among them. They would probably end up as small amounts of energy until Earth itself is destroyed, the deities could probably move to new planets and create inhabitants of different species once that happens in order to start anew.

4 Likes

I’m loving the new update. Hopefully it gets even better!

1 Like

Considering those kind of benefits from choosing polytheism, I would expect monotheism to have major buffs to balance the story out as well?

5 Likes

I don’t know if it crossed your mind, but when it comes to mind I was curious if you had considered a non-standard form. These forms could include things such as animals, or crosses between animals and humans, or maybe other things such as a human with the lower body of a storm cloud or other such things. However, I know that it’s kind of weird to code, though, I think it’d add more flavor. Then again you could also be formless but work through your followers instead empowering a champion or “prophet” of your pantheon/religion. Ehh. I have ideas but I think I’ll wait until I see a little more of what direction you’re wanting to take the game before I go crazy writing it all out. Also, the demo is fun, and I’m looking forward to trying to help with this project.

1 Like

If your tribesmen are nomads they kill an elephant I was hoping you could use the hide to make armor for you tribesmen and there tusks to make weapons or jewelry

3 Likes

Oh and first things first. Redundancy You find the tastiest fruit you can find from nearby, and approach the cow with it in your hand; at first, your followers seem apprehensive, since that fruit could have fed them, instead… But they soon gaze in awe as you lead the cow back to where your villagers are, and when they see how calm and tamed it has become from your efforts. You take a fruit from one of the nearby trees, and approach the cow with it in your hand; at first, the cow isn’t sure what to make of it, and appears ready to run away. After a quick nibble on the fruit, though, it soon begins to trust you, and willingly moves when you push it back towards your followers. The mortals nod in understanding, and a few attempt to hand feed other nearby cows, themselves.

This paragraph has overlapping information that is redundant and slightly annoying to read. I noticed this earlier when it came to the gourds. Maybe go through and rewrite it so that the information is more concise and less repetitive. Also from now on, I’ll be looking out for and posting other occurrences such as this where the structuring could use some work.

For the most part, it’s actually pretty good though. With the wording and story. I haven’t run everything through a program to check for spelling and grammar errors but I’ll start looking now as I read.

I’m going through a bunch of things right now that I see could take a bit of work so I’m just going to make a list and post it all in one big bug, errors, and general fixes post.

Also a quick few questions. It says that your follower’s soul only returned after he had been given proper rights. Does that mean that you could steal divinity from other gods by converting their mortals? And does that also mean that since the murderer wasn’t given proper rights you then, in turn, lost some of your divinity permanently? Also, this line of reasoning goes both ways. Does this mean you could lose divinity to another god by losing followers to conversion? And finally does this lead to the death of a god? Eventually? To the death of you as a god maybe? To be made mortal? And a possible way to lose the game?

Seems okay so far will there be romance or no

That was already covered.

2 Likes

@MissBrainProblems Could we make dwarves?

I am very excited to see the continuing development of this WIP. I love world creation with a passion, and your game seems well written and rife with actual consequences for our actions. Looking forward to more; keep up the good work!

1 Like

Intresting idea. But what about ragnarok/apocalypse/frashokereti? And can we coustomize our race/civilization? (nords, egyptians etc.)

2 Likes

I’d imagine that’d come with Chapter 7

However, I’d imagine that a war of the gods would be in order. Or more specifically. A war of the Pantheons. Also @MissBrainProblems what if we wanted to be the titans? Similar to the greeks. We were imprisoned and then we gained freedom, and are waging a war of revenge. Also, the prolog talks about the MC and their siblings. But who are the MC’s parents?

@Generikb

1. Since Chapter 1 follows the mythological traditions of early human religions (Sumerians, Harappans, Xia), there won’t be any “non-standard” forms. During Chapter 2, which follows the mythological traditions primarily of the ancient and antique Greeks and Egyptians, you’ll be able to come down to the physical world from the world of the gods in various forms, as was described in the myths of those times. Chapter 3 is where you stop being able to achieve physical form, and have to work through champions and prophets.

2. I modified the description to include the murderer’s soul returning to your body if he was executed; I meant to put it in a a way that emphasized that a mortal’s soul is reclaimed upon their death. You can lose divinity to other gods, and you can steal divinity from other gods, which will be a major plot point of the second half of Chapter 1, coming to a more full understanding of how divine power works. Talk about death of gods is spoilers, though. :wink:

3. I’m intending to follow the course of human religion and mythology as it was and as it is in our own world, so I won’t be having any thing straight up fantastical like creating a race of dwarves or elves. Mythological creatures will be a feature of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3, but your civilization can’t be based off of them.

4. Talk about titans, imprisonment, freedom, and the parents of the gods are also spoilers, sorry. :wink:

@Harley_Robin_Evans There will be “romance”, but it will be different than games where you play as a regular mortal with a finite lifespan.

@Kiogu1 I’ll try to add aesthetic customization for your civilization if possible, but my primary concern at present is adding “moral” customization to your civilization, what values and philosophies you stress to your followers as religious law, and such. In Chapter 1, though, consider yourself as a god of a Mesopotamian society - gods during the Sumerian and pre-Sumerian era tended to be local gods that patronized cities and villages, rather than an established pantheon that spread across an entire culture, and I’m trying to reflect that in Chapter 1 for now. Talk about apocalypses and stuff… Spoilers. :wink:

EDIT: Since my last update, I’ve added another set of choices to the Eldir/Icraura encounters, based off of how you told your mortals to prepare. I’m currently working on the fight and discussion scenes, depending upon whether you decide to deal with your siblings violently or peacefully.

12 Likes

@MissBrainProblems Quite acceptable, sounds very interesting. But I am curious. You said we can’t make a race based off of non-human species, but what kind and how many different creatures can we create? And could this aid our champions in a battle against other god’s champions? Also, would these creatures delve even more into our divinity pool? And along with that idea are we going to have a stat for max divinity? And again more for available, or used divinity? And going along with that line of questions. Could the MC use their divinity to create a miracle? Or permanently use up a portion to sanctify/bless a certain object/area plus would having an opposing blessing/whatever have any effect on a similar object of another god? (basically a nullification or overpowering, consider the idea of God’s priests being able to overpower a demon with the correct prayer/blessing) Oh and with the prophet/champion what would make them special? Would they be blessed in particular with a larger portion of the MC’s divinity, and therefore, able to cast prayers/blessings/spells and such gobbledygook or are they just going to be able to at least partially access the MC’s divinity to cast stronger blessings should the event call for it (this kinda goes along with demigods by the way)? Oh and along with that what about if you have other gods under you. Would that make them stronger? Would you require multiple champions/prophets for a pantheon, and could you have multiple as a singular god?

Okay, sorry for the longwinded set of questions, but I’m interested in also helping out with ideas for the game and kinda also probing the waters to see what information you might be willing to give up before it’s actually introduced in the demos.

And yes I realize that was also slightly longwinded. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing more!

How well can our relationship with Eldir or Icraura be? Can it be loving to toxic and disastrous?