New Hosted Game! “Community College Hero: Trial by Fire” by Eric Moser

Community College Hero: Trial by Fire

Outwit your professors at superpower school! Ace your exams, date your classmates, and bring down the nation’s most wanted villains to earn your degree.

Community College Hero: Trial by Fire is a thrilling 168,000-word interactive novel by Eric Moser, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based–without graphics or sound effects–and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You’ve won a scholarship to the nation’s newest college course for heroes! But can you discover your classmates’ secret identities before they learn yours? Choose your costume and your mask (and maybe your date for this weekend) and get ready to fight crime and dazzle the citizenry! Be an acrobat, sharpshooter, detective, or soldier, with all the abilities that come with each. Wield brass knuckles, a slingshot, or even retractable roller skates in your shoes. Will you investigate the big bad, or wait until you’ve had more training? Escape liability for damaging other people’s property as you learn to control your new powers, or pay up what you owe?

Will you be a brooder, charmer, traditionalist, or trickster? Step into your new super identity, and claim your place as a Community College Hero!

Eric developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and we’ll publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

9 Likes

Just saw this comment on steam. Is there a problem with the program on this platform or just a glitch with this particularl person’s computer?

Just bought it because I can relate. Other than that it wont load.

I asked that question on the HG thread and several folks quickly responded that it loaded fine for them.

@dfabulich, if there was a widespread Steam problem, we’d know by now, right?

3 Likes

Wondering if it is worth picking up the Community College Heroes series since the second instalment is now on offer.
I am hesitant because I’m not a fan of games that are too “childish”, in terms of the storyline - although I did enjoy the Waywalkers series.

1 Like

Worth every penny tbh. Its not childish as you think, it has a mature theme (drugs,sex,etc…).

2 Likes

Agreed, “childish” is not a word I would use to describe CCH. I thoroughly enjoy this series, definitely worth your time.

2 Likes

It really just kind of depends on if you think it’s something your interested in.

I played the first one when it came out(At least about three quarters of it, before completely forgetting about it.) which was a fair while ago, so I don’t remember everything about it. I do remember thinking that it wasn’t bad.

It just sort of depends on personal appeal.

Unpopular opinion corner here, but I’m not big on the superhero genre as a general rule and feel like they’re a bit too heavily focused on here. Mind you, I’m aware that it’s not my tastes, but I also know it’s an option whether or not I play them.

Does that mean they must be bad games because they don’t fit the normal way I like things? No. I’m sure lot’s of them are considered really good by the people who actually care itself.

What my point is, is it your personal preference for games like that?

4 Likes

The first one is one of my favorites, and I can’t wait to play the second.

2 Likes

Coming from someone who not really a superheroes genre fan, CCH is really good. You should at least give the demo a try. And agree with others, I don’t think the story line is “childish” (It’s make me wonder where that impression comes from actually).

6 Likes

As @Vattena says, try the demo - if that appeals to you, then I am pretty certain you will enjoy the rest.

CCH childish, though? Not in my opinion. There’s indeed some mature stuff in there, but some characters are of course young and behave their age, so to speak. Other are far more mature. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Agreed. Play the demo first, to get a good idea of whether or not it’s something you’d be interested in. :blush:

3 Likes

I played CCH1 and the beta of CCH2 and they were both really good. And I wasn’t really a fan of the genre either (I didn’t watch most super hero films and things like that)
Also most students in CCH are over 18 and aren’t really childish, and the theme of the game is pretty mature at some part.

2 Likes

Thought it was like High School Detective or Psy High, which I found slightly childish.

2 Likes

It was one of my first buys here, and still a favorite. I played through most of the beta for the second one (thank you very little, short-lived phone cookies), and it was more than enough to entice me into buying the sequel day 1.

3 Likes

Thanks all for your replies. I bought both games and, so far, it’s been an interesting read. And yes, not “childish” at all.

4 Likes

Question is this game like the Anime My Hero Academia? Because I am hyped of it I think to by this instead of the new Choice of Magics.

1 Like

I would say ‘sorta’.
Best way would be to try both games’ demos and see how you like it.

2 Likes

Thank you for answer. Bought it now and after I finished it, I am deciding if I buy the second game. But what I am asking, is it possible there to date more then one RO at the same time?

1 Like

I just played the demo i am not a fan the MC feels damn useless and kind of annoying plus it all feels kind of pointless i just never felt any kind of connection to the MC plus the story i will be really really honest it is boring very very boring in my opinion.

1 Like

In fairnes to feeling ineffective, CCH punishes the player soundly if they make decisions that don’t align with their stats. Which to me, feels fair given that the MC is a normal person amidst super-powered individuals — it makes sense that they would need to play to their strengths to succeed.

Of course, I know you’re a frequent player of CoGs so I imagine you’re fairly familiar with using your stats to your advantage. I just can’t think of why you might feel useless beyond that or being the underdog because the MC has no powers. I actually remember on several occasions one-upping the MC’s fellow classmates and making decisions that were beneficial to the group as a whole so on base. Maybe it’s an issue of how far the demo stretches?

6 Likes