NaNoWriMo 2019

I started a “side project” for NaNoWriMo too. It’s an interactive fiction piece called Ghost Simulator. Here’s the “pitch”:

You are dead.

Well, that’s bad for you—but it is also the beginning of this story. After your tragic death in your previous home, a sumptuous manor in the American countryside, your soul is trapped there forever. And it is up to you to shape the life of the first family who dared to move into this house.

A house that is haunted by you.

–Choose your ghostly powers. These include the ability to possess human bodies, materialize in the surface world, invade someone’s dreams, interact with objects, and communicate through whispers.

–Change the daily routine of this family for the better or for the worse—it is entirely up to you.

–Each of the family members has their own ambitions. Will you help them in their personal struggles or sink them deeper into their problems?

–Turn a Halloween party into an unforgettable night—either by impressing or creeping out the guests.

–Protect the family from intruders by spooking them out—or do nothing at all.

–Discover the mysteries of your past—and why have you been trapped in this house in the first place.

–Ghosts don’t have gender. But… can you remember what you were before your death?

I intend to achieve at least 60k words before calling it a day (or night?). I’ve got so far ~6k words written. When I finish Chapter 1 and do some editing on it, I may create the WIP topic :slight_smile:

And if someone wants to follow the work, here’s the NaNoWriMo page for the project:

https://www.nanowrimo.org/participants/trevornewberry/projects/ghost-simulator

15 Likes

Ooh, that sounds so cool! :heart: Good luck!

4 Likes

1412 words so far today quick break then back to it.

2 Likes

About 3000 words in and realized I should just scrap my project. It doesn’t work and it’s just not any good. Maybe I’m just not meant for making anything worthwhile.

If I get a new idea, I might try picking something up, but there’s just little pint in doing something that I know is going to be bad.

1 Like

700 words today. Not the best, but at least I got started.

6 Likes

1769 words in a day is not half bad! It might be the most I’ve written on TC in a single day. Or at least, the most I have recently. The to-do list is looking good, too.

3 Likes

Good news is I wrote 2006 words today bringing my total up to 5790

Bad news is somethint went wrong with the NaNoWriMo website and my project was deleted for some reason. So lost all my recorded progress. I made a new project and correctly submitted the word counts for each day and the total word count is correct but it is only showing as writing 0 for the 1st and 2nd of November and then the 5790 all on the third :frowning:

5 Likes

Officially, I can say that I am fucked. The file where I was writing now is corrupted and I ended up loosing basically everything except the first 1,000 words. So I don’t know what I can do now.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Mara cant it be recovered?

1 Like

No the entire file is totally corrupted same the backup the text editor does

1 Like

That sucks, Mara. :worried: I’m sorry.

1 Like

I will started again and trying to make it better. I mean I can’t let a file defeat me.

9 Likes

Sounds awesome. Just be wary of vaccum cleaners and plumbers. I hear that’s been making a comeback as a concern for the ghost community.

3 Likes

With two hours left, I met my goal for the day. I actually surprised myself because when I started out the day, I figured it was going to be a struggle.

Updated the post upthread with word counts and notes for the day.

5 Likes

I just have decided to stop writing for Nanowrimo and probably for a while. As I don’t feel like it helps me in anything.

1 Like

Ugh, my average after 3 days is 906 words per day. And it will likely sink lower now that the week filled with lawyer stuff, kids’ homework, and pickups from basketball practice are upon me.

But I’ll do what I can! Must stay positive and productive.

10 Likes

Hahah I’ll try to add an easter egg on that! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That sounds really cool! I love the pitch. :smile:

Also love the sound of @Eiwynn’s project! It reminds me of Fallen London a little. Always adore Victorian Age alternate timelines.

3 Likes

I’ve finished for the day with a word count of 2317 which brings my total to 8107 words.

Will update my project post in a bit :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Stumbled today, only got 400 words down since I got busy, but I am determined to not let this slow me down. Hopefully tomorrow will bring greater opportunities.

5 Likes