More "World of Darkness" Games!

You’re the second person who has mentioned Changelings. Can you tell me what that means in a WoD context?

I’m not suuuper familiar with Changelings in the WoD setting, but they’re basically fae if that’s more familiar, Seelie/Unseelie etc. They’re called changelings because they start off as regular humans before their fae side manifests and the divide between human and fae heritage plays a major part in the setting.

Link to the WoD wiki about them if anyone’s curious.

3 Likes

Fairys

Having a good partnership with a major game development studio is always a good thing. In fact, I think this would bolster our publicity. It’s also a good thing for IFs to be linked with established franchises, such as the World of Darkness universe. It’s been something I’ve always wanted. (I secretly hope that my actually get Capcom’s seal of approval, though.) At least the Vampire the Masquerade series did so well that we have veteran authors returning for future works in the series. Congratulations to the team and authors once again! And have fun, lots of fun!

5 Likes

Vampire Reagent on Hosted Games. It is a really well-crafted game! Morton Newberry and Lucas Zaper did a fantastic job with the storytelling, particularly with the vampire theme. They bring a mature and socially conscious perspective to their work that makes it stand out. I believe they’d be an excellent choice for developing a ‘Vampire: The Masquerade’ game. They could bring their unique flair to the table while staying true to the original material and delivering a compelling gaming experience. How do we get Choice of Games to consider them? They’d be crazy not to hire such talented writers!

2 Likes

While I totally agree that they’d be great, that isn’t really how it works and if they were working on something, it would likely be a while before it was announced :sweat_smile: If you haven’t yet played Unsupervised, their latest CoG WIP about superheroes, you should though!

5 Likes

So Fredwary mentioned the first iteration of Changelings in the World of Darkness. The 2nd Edition is much darker and NOT cute. Changelings in 2nd Edition are humans kidnapped or otherwise held by the Fae for reasons they don’t fully understand. They become twisted and changed by their Fae master in some seriously messed up ways before escaping back to the human world. The game has a lot in common with abuse narratives and coping with how radically altered you are and how your life is ruined.

3 Likes

I would seriously love a game about that!

Amy Wilkins did the cover for Parliament of Knives, as well as all the portraits throughout all the four games. Edouard Noisette did the covers for Night Road and Out for Blood, and George Cotronis did Sins of the Sires.

Amy has done other work in WoD if you like her style. She’s done a ton of work on the card games Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and Vampire the Masquerade: Rivals and also has her art in the Cult of the Blood Gods and Chicago by Night sourcebooks. She also regularly does art for actual plays. Edouard has done work on the Fall of London and Dark Ages sourcebook. Krzysztof has done a TON of art for WoD so it’s cool to see him as a cover art for a CoG - you can see his work in the v5 Corebook, Sabbat the Black Hand, Vampire the Masquerade Companion, V5 Player’s Guide, Hunter the Reckoning v5, and Werewolf v5. Sadly George hasn’t done more for them outside of CoG, but he does a lot of spooky work and is AD for The Dark Magazine, so definitely worth checking him out.

6 Likes

So she’s the one to blame for my embarrassing desire to raid Eden Corliss’s closet. That dress in the cover art is beyond gorgeous. :laughing:

3 Likes

I love those covers, they remind me so much of 80s action/thrillers movie posters (like The Wraith, Escape from New York, and Streets of Fire), which are my favorite movie genre.

Thank you for the info about the artists. I will search more about them.

It was ages ago that I read an RPG guide book. I played a lot of Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Mage: The Ascension with my friends in school. And I remember some of the illustrations perfectly like the Tremere from the 3ed

2 Likes

Oh! That’s from Joshua Gabriel Timbrook. Such an iconic artist. White Wolf has hired a lot of really memorable artists for sure.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the World of Darkness and Chronicles of Darkness are different IPs for corporate reasons. As I understand it, CoG’s current license only extends to the former, and if they wanted to do something in CofD, they’d have to do more business-end talks before that could happen. Not that that would be difficult if there was demand for such a game, of course. (I’m not a licensing director for any of the relevant companies, so take anything I say about this with a grain of salt.)

5 Likes

Ah okay, thank you for letting me know. I didn’t even know Chronicles of Darkness was a thing.

Hm, as an ardent V:TM follower, I never did lean as much towards the garou, personal horror as opposed to the savage horror of W:TA. Nonetheless, I cannot say that I am unexcited for another chance to immerse myself in the World of Darkness, especially since I loved Night Road so much, the one that I feel is the best of the V:TM games.

I hope at least one of the upcoming games will be for Mage: The Ascension, preferably one where I can once again play as a member of my beloved Technocratic Union, the Technocracy. One favors the Progenitors or Iteration X, but any Convention would be welcome.

I remember Changeling: The Dreaming rather fondly as well. If it is one of the games, I would like to play as a sidhe of Houses Eiluned, Liam, or Beaumayn.

Wraith: The Oblivion is another one, along with Mummy: The Resurrection.

Of course, I suspect that I am very much in the minority for this last one, assuming anyone even remembers it, but my foremost favorite is Demon: The Fallen. I wish very much that at least one of the games is for D:TF. Ah, to once again play as one of the Elohim who ushered in the dawn of creation and the very concept of time. There are the Neberu, the House of the Spheres, the House of Indigo Night, but all the others are just as magnificent, from the Namaru and Asharu all the way to the Halaku. It would be suitably epic, perhaps fighting an Earthbound, perhaps an agent of none other than an Archduke.

So are Mummies like actual mummies or are we just glorified zombies? :sweat_smile:

Also I see there’s historical stuff, yes please.

Actual mummies. Mummy: the Resurrection has a very detailed look at Egyptian mythology and how the new character splat fits in with it.

6 Likes

Man I just read about this yesterday and I still can’t believe it … TEN GAMES!!! … Let’s go!

2 Likes

Kyle Marquis quickly rose to be one of - if not the de facto - my favorite writers around here. Super excited to see him tackle another WoD project!

8 Likes

Kyle Marquis’ books are the flagship World of Darkness games as long as Bloodlines 2 remains in development hell :sweat_smile:

7 Likes