Monsters of New Haven High - last update 4/02

Happy (late) birthday @ladyfire

3 Likes

Hehe thanks @IamnowShark ! :heart:

So, in Monsters of New Haven news, I have a newfound appreciation for the werewolf MC. I mean, I liked playing as a werewolf, but had a hard time relating to the jock persona that seems to come with this character. But, I played through again as a WW that wasn’t really a jock, but participated to honor the pack and such, and I found it to be a really enjoyable experience. Werewolf pack dynamics fascinate me, and I just really like the idea of being a werewolf so I had a lot of fun. I love the fact that you can play this game so many different ways. It truly is amazing. I just wanted to share :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Happy (very, very belated) birthday, @ladyfire.

And I couldn’t agree more–the variety of different stances you can take in the story is pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Just a little something stupid as I sort of envisioned a brief conversation about Hunter and Carl.

[spoiler]Artemis bit her lip as she saw Hunter press in close to his new boyfriend. She already said her piece about him getting involved with Carl, local football star and werewolf.

Well, either he will get his heart broken…or eaten…she thought.

She gave a slight cough, briefly interrupting the two. Artemis tossed a box wrapped in festive paper, adorned with a bow.

Hunter, surprised, turned the package over in his hands, “What’s this?”

Artemis growled, “Just open it up.”

Hunter’s eyes lingered for a second on his sister before he opened it, and pulled out a large, rubber ball. “Uh, thanks,” he said, then glanced at Carl, “You know, I don’t appreciate the insult.”

Artemis shrugged, “Oh, get off your high horse. I was trying to make peace with this…relationship. I just don’t know what you get the werewolf who has everything.”

“A rabies shot,” Carl replied deadpan, while Artemis rolled her eyes. Carl shrugged good-naturedly, then continued, “I think it was a sweet gesture. After all, playing catch as a wolf, and as a human means two different things.”

Artemis gave out a slight laugh as she added, “It would be much tougher with the hand-egg.”

“Football,” interrupted Hunter.

Carl smiled, “Nah, hand-egg is more fun to say.”[/spoiler]

3 Likes

I think this is a bug with the swimming section.

If you pick the option:
You’re hyper-focused on staring into your locker and not making eye contact while you change. This part of your day is always uncomfortable.

It automatically assumes that your gender identity is different than the locker room you’re in:
Game response
Well, yeah. It’s a… different experience to be you in a locker room.

For one thing, For one thing, your gender identity doesn’t match the available locker rooms. (I already mentioned the double For one thing in a previous post).

This doesn’t have to necessarily be the case. You might choose the ‘not making eye contact’ part if you were playing a really modest character.

7 Likes

XD Nice…Time for your to fan-fic! I’ll go get the popcorn <3

I have a question for @Sashira, are there going to be any witches/warlocks in the story? I don’t mean as playable or romancable(sp?) characters, I just mean in general. And by witches/warlocks, I was thinking more along the lines of the ones from Charmed rather than the ones from Harry Potter.

1 Like

It’s common knowledge that humans don’t have magic - not the way monsters do. The legends about human witches had to have an origin, and there really are rituals that can trap demons and affect other supernatural creatures, if you know what you’re doing. But there’s never been a human who could do things like throw fireballs or fly under their own power. Some of the flashier stories may have started because of creatures like the fae, who can enchant other living beings if they’re powerful enough.

5 Likes

@Sashira Yeah, I know. But depending on what mythology (or work of fiction) you go with, witches/warlocks aren’t humans. This includes the show “Charmed”, where they suggest that witches/warlocks are a different species from humans, but that they just look like humans physically. That’s why I was trying to emphasize the version of witches/warlocks from that show, rather than the Harry Potter version of it(the Harry Potter version being where witches and wizards are more human like)! But like I said, I was just curious to see if there were going to be anything like them in this story or not :slight_smile:, I didn’t mean to offend you with my question or anything like that, my question was fueled purely by curiosity :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, sorry! I haven’t seen Charmed, so I didn’t realize they weren’t human. There are some mentions of witchcraft in the game - a human student thinks she’s psychic, and on some paths the twins attempted to use magic on the morning of Day 2 (badly.)

So in this universe, “witchcraft” refers to the limited abilities of humans to affect things the way monsters with magic can, or their belief that they can do so. There are various monsters that look like humans and can do magic, but they belong to distinct species.

6 Likes

Random question @Sashira, do you have other stories? Or is this the only one you have?

2 Likes

This was the first game I started coding in ChoiceScript.

Since then, I wrote part of a collaborative game which just entered the publication queue. There’s still some time before it actually goes off to the App Store, so I’d love some more feedback on it. It’s about traveling through multiple genres of books; I wrote the “classic detective” chapter.

I have a couple of other projects in the works; I try to stick to working on MoNHH plus any one of them, and keep the rest on the shelf. At the moment I’m experimenting with some memoirs while waiting for CSComp to begin. The two other big things are a sci-fi murder mystery dating sim, and a superhero comic I’ve been collaborating on for ages.

As far as other published works go - other than fanfiction or stuff I wrote under contract using pseudonyms, I can only think of Mr. Mephisto, my ancient webcomic about a not-very-good demon. The webcomic is also not very good (oh, and is NSFW due to cartoon nudity.)

9 Likes

lol I ate one of the Twins. “Worth it worth it worth it”… hahahaha

7 Likes

Another slight bug. If you picked attracted to both females and males, then if you go to Carl’s table at lunch time, he says:
“That sounds nice,” unknown says politely.

Unknown should obviously be “Carl” in this case.

7 Likes

@Jinx_the_Atomic_Cat How?! I can’t figure out how to do it! :tired_face:

2 Likes

@VioletHikari
The key is to raise your Monstrous as high as it can go, and in my playthroughs it also coincides with raising my Rebellious (though I don’t think the Rebellious is essential). The following is one way to get to the cannibal Wendigo scene, though there are other choices one can make.

[spoiler]

1. I’m a wendigo
  2. Pick gender/orientation (this doesn’t play a role in it)
  3. Monster shouldn’t be an insult (raises Monstrous by 5).
  4. Your own. (This is the clothing option, raises rebelliousness)
  5. Pick name, and crush.
  6. His/her rebelliousness (from the Crush)
  7. Your cell phone.
  8. If you knew what you did to piss her/him off, you’d do more of it.
  9. Hey Artemis…parole officer. (Hunter mentions his hair cut, and boots for being a douche).
  10. Choose reaction to the vampire. This isn’t very important for this guide.
  11. You didn’t read the pages, so you keep your hand down.
  12. Grendel had to eat.
  13. You don’t care about these human customs. (Raises Monstrous by 5)
  14. You think the demon is freaky and sexy. (this choice probably doesn’t matter as well)
  15. Goblin is the most annoying monster you know (last choice, though this probably doesn’t matter)
  16. You crack joke through class.
  17. A human knowing your secret is unacceptable. (Raises monstrous by 10!)
  18. Don’t you dare write anything about me! (Raises monstrous by 5)
  19. You’re reserved.
  20. Most flattering swimsuit (not really big deal for the cannibal run)
  21. So you think you’re tougher than me big guy? (Carl the werewolf, I don’t think it has a role)
  22. It’s a pool party.
  23. Lunch period. I choose to go with Chantal/Sandy/Carl.
  24. Go to Carl’s table.
  25. Carl, me you, arm wrestling.
  26. You’ll do your best to beat him.
  27. Hunting down live prey. Raises monstrous by 5…by this point, your Monstrosity should be 85.
  28. Is freaking awesome/raise hell.
  29. The alley behind the shop room.
  30. No, you came to sneak a cigarette of your own. Although, choosing “It’s time to get in her face” should work as well.
  31. Back the hell off Hunter/Artemis.
  32. Time to make a point about personal space.
  33. Let his/her first punch hit you. Show how tough you are.
  34. Welcome to a monster hunter buffet![/spoiler]
20 Likes

Totally worth it! :imp:

6 Likes

Thank you @Jinx_the_Atomic_Cat, @Lys, and @VioletHikari for confirming the wendigo early end is still reachable. One more possible bug off the list.

As well as keeping humanity low and choosing the option @Lys named during the fight scene in study hall, there’s one more requirement:

For wendigos, serenity serves as an important stat related to self-control. Keeping it high or low affects whether you get this ending.

I’ve been working on the next scene or two to update. My modest next goal is to get a scene or three up before the end of the month, when I’ll likely be overwhelmed coding for the CSComp.

18 Likes

Not really a post adding anything, but I admit, when I play the Wendigo, this song by Blackmore’s Night comes into my mind:

4 Likes

I wonder how many fights this game will have if you play as a werewolf.
I liked being able to easily win against Artemis (“I’m the most powerful monster at the school” and “don’t do that mistake again” were badass lines), but I would like a challenge. Hopefully either the Alpha’s son or the Wendigo will prove to be a worthy foe.

1 Like