Hello! I’m Rasberry, also known as RomanFyre, and Kirby in other places. I’ve been lurking around these forums since around the final release of Choice of Romance. Finally made an account, haha! I absolutely love CoG and have been inspired to make my own for a while now. I’ve been toying with this idea for some time and finally mustered up the courage to begin the creation process and post it here. I hope everyone finds it interesting.
Summary: You’re a modern day witch in a modern day world, with a modern day sized Ambition. Fresh out of high school, you decided to change career paths as soon as you finished listening to the final inspiring graduation speech of the day. You’re re-determined to follow the dream you’ve had since you were little. You’re going to become the first ruler of witch kind. The only question now, is how are you going to go about it?
In this world Witch is a name for those who can use magic, whether they’re male or female. The term Prosaic is used for those without magic. They’re generally considered second-class citizens. The society for witches is currently ruled by a council, whose (re)elected every 50yrs or so. And with the council there are of course rules. When a human is born with the ability to use ‘active’ or ‘passive’ magic they are called witches. Depending on the witches’ specialties or aptitudes they may be called a subset name, such as Seer, or Empath. The previous subset names are usually reserved for those with ‘passive’ magic. Then there are the ‘good’ witches and ‘evil’ witches. Those terms are designated to witches who use ‘active’ magic (Elemental, Summoning, Illusion/Mind Altering, Necromancy, etc). Every active magic witch who comes of age (graduates high school) must go before the council to make a binding promise to never do something with their magic. The promise they make is then decided by the council on whether they think the promise is inherently good or evil. This then determines on whether the witch in question is then dubbed good or evil on all of their legal documents. Due to the nature of the magic used in the promise making, the councilors can’t force anyone to change their promise and if the promise maker breaks their oath then they’re stripped of their magic.
Ex of promises: 1) “I will never harm another person with my magic."
2) “I will never intentionally harm another person with my magic.”
3) “I will never cause a tsunami with my magic."
4) “I will never clip my toenails with my magic.”
The first two would be considered ‘Good’ witch promises and the last two would be dubbed ‘Evil’ witch promises. Though it seems like it’s black & white there is plenty of room for a gray area. It’s an imperfect system.
In the game you’ll be playing as a middle-class ‘active’ magic Witch who comes from a good home. You have a Seer older sibling, a ‘Good’ Witch mother, and an ‘Evil’ Witch father who mysteriously disappeared fairly recently in his pursuit of immortality. The promise you choose in the beginning will be a small or medium strength modifier for your relationship stats and morality stats. You’ll be able to choose or type your character’s name and nickname (if I code it right Characters who have a relationship stat that’s 60 points or higher should start calling you by your nickname if you have one). You’ll also be able to choose or type in your favorite color and symbol to represent your future heraldry/coat-of-arms.
I’m currently toying with whether or not I should make this at least a two-parter, with the first story-game about your rise in influence and power and the second game about you actually tearing down the current system and assuming control of the country, whether that’s by force, intrigue, or being a Sovereign-of-the-people.
The title is also still a W.I.P.
(Please let me know if any of these feel/sound redundant)
HP & MP
Vigor (Healing & Poison magic)
Mind (Illusions & Mind Control)
Technomancy (? I’m still on the fence on whether I should have tech based magic.)
2 gay, 2 bi, 2 straight. All NPC genders will be locked. I haven’t decided on who will be what yet, and am considering doing a poll for each RO character. The player character can be gay, bi, ace, or straight.
- Val Rose – One of your two best friends from high school, she’s rational, honest, energetic and playful. Others often count on her sociable and down-to-earth nature when things start to get rough. Nobody’s perfect though. Not far underneath that high-energy is a person who is also known for her opportunistic and callous ways. When she wants something, she bulldozes straight for it, no matter who or what gets in her way. Val made a promise that dubbed her a ‘evil’ Witch after graduation.
- Hennie Van Haanraats - One of your two best friends from high school, he’s selfless, intelligent, discreet, and a bit of a flirt. These traits are often overshadowed by tendencies of arrogance. Born as the nephew of one of the past ruling councilors, he’s had plenty of help in training for diplomancy though. He generally means well and wishes to gain a council seat to implement some of the reforms he’s been planning since his second year in high school. Hennie made a promise that dubbed him a ‘good’ Witch after graduation. N
- Naseem Delaney – A lot can be said about Naseem, but above all else he’s confident and farsighted. Of course he also has a love for bad puns and very active in Prosaic rights. He can be obnoxious and abrasive sometimes though. This is due to him being ‘passive’ Empath Witch. He believes that there’s no point in holding back when he can get impressions of another’s emotions anyways.
- Robin Naess – A very focused and methodical individual, Robin was a student who graduated before you. She works as an aide for one of the councilors. She’s also quite a stoic person. Though hoping to be voted her councilors successor, she is quite comfortable with the current Witch/Prosaic status quo, and doesn’t plan on changing the way of things. Robin is a ‘passive’ Sensor Witch.
- Keone MacGuire – One of the few Prosaic students who graduated from your school, he’s clever, patient, and all around carefree. He enjoys helping people out, whether or not it’s at his expense. Miraculously, and probably because of his helpful, carefree nature, he was considered the coolest kid in school. Even so, now that graduation is over, Keone his jovial self-indulgence has bit him in the back. He’s had very few good career prospects since graduating. This has become a serious problem for him due to his materialistic nature. He currently works in a dissatisfactory, managerial job at one of your hometowns stores.
- Camille Delacroix - Camille was ‘the Rebel’ of your school. She’s a very prickly individual and is not shy in hitting below the belt, emotionally or physically, when getting into fights. Even, so, it’s not without good reason. As one of the few Prosaic students from your graduating class she’s been chafed one too many times by Witch Superiority. She’s vowed to either pursue a political career or start a revolution/insurgency and get Prosaic leaders to form a new ruling body, no matter what. Good friends with Naseem Delaney, she’s perceptive, resourceful, and devoted to her friends.
Other relationship stats will include your mother, sibling, and the council.
Any questions, concerns, or suggestions would be most welcome, since this’ll be the first CYOA game I’ve ever made. c: