MAJOR DEMO UPDATE <3 - WiP: Don't Wake Me Up (with demo)

I really like this! @Baudelaire_Welch :smile: I got a Emo Vampire to romance! And that kiss! Brilliant! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I’m (or at least my character is) really, really thorn between that thing and the super-stylish rapier. In fact in my first go I think I chose the rapier, though more recently I, like most other people, have been going for the top-hat.

I agree, my sentiments exactly. :grinning: Len is super-awesome, though I like Asterius too, I hope we can romance them both at the same time. If we can my character would probably never want to leave the virtual world. :yum:

Although in true videogame fashion I hope that the mc can get some appearance and fashion upgrades while they do so too. Then again cool/sexy clothes or armour is one of the “rewards” I like best in RPG or adventure videogames.

3 Likes

I had a really weird idea that may be me going off the tracks insane… or maybe I’m onto something? (Honestly both are always viable options)

Is it going to turn out that Asterius and/or Len are actually just NPCs, set up to make the game seem more realistic and raise the stakes in the MC’s mind? If so would they disappear when we reach the end?And if the MC falls for one of them then they’re just falling for a computer code and not a real person and oh no… that would not be good. I really love Asterius already! I hope she/he isn’t an NPC. :anguished:

7 Likes

I already love this wip! It gives such anine vybes!
And Asterius is so cute, he’s such a dork! :blush:
But, Len I think captured my heart. :heart_eyes:
His dramatic,emotional, angsty character reminds me of a certain someone, who’s a personal favorite of another fandom…they even have similar names. :smile:

I think I’ve fallen in love with this wip, Asterius, and of course top hattington the top hat. I’m also very ready to get my second weapon, and find more bffs for my party. I’m a bit curious about what exactly happened to Queen when we left? And when will we get to choose our style (steam punk ninja here I come!) I think Len is hilarious too. I think you may just be good enough to make the best choice of game yet, in multiple aspects. Can’t wait to get too more genres, tho idk if I’ll like any more than rpg.

Like I wasn’t going to choose the top hat. I named him Boy George :relieved:

Anyways, this game is a lot of fun! I don’t really watch anime, so I feel like most of the references were lost on me, but I got the RPG jokes and still managed to have a good time.

Also! I second @idonotlikeusernames! Fancy cloaks for everyone! If you feel like it, that is…

2 Likes

@Baudelaire_Welch I bumped up your trust level so you shouldn’t have an issue posting replies now.

2 Likes

Yay! Vampire wardrobe raid! Or at least that’s what my character was thinking there, if he must march into certain demon lord doom then he’ll damn well make sure he dies gruesomely while being well-dressed, which is slightly less bad than doing so in a ratty outfit. :wink:

Still I assume the game resets our clothing/outfit to fit to the theme of each separate level anyway, or does it?

1 Like

Could I have some freedom of choice in the rest of game? So far this is funny and well written but more railroad that a steam train. No character development no personality whatsoever and you are saying how I feel each five seconds… a great story no sure about the game part

Wow. Large positive response. That makes me very happy!

Who could that be? Could you please tell me, I’d love to know! Len is based off a lot of characters and character tropes. Maybe we even have a similar character in mind when we think of him.

@RenaB NPCs? I wouldn’t worry about that.

I honestly hadn’t considered the idea of sexy armour whatsoever. (I am a sweet and innocent soul. cough well actually I just hadn’t thought of it). But that’s an amusing idea. I’ll cram some of it on Mr. Fanservice later. And Asterius too. Why not? Good idea.

Inspiration? I thought about it a bit, and I’d say that I actually think Terry Pratchett would be a big inspiration to me, even though he didn’t write anything similar! When I was younger, I used to write a lot of satirical fantasy stories because I loved the way Terry Pratchett had done them. When I turned to make games, I decided I wanted to approach them in a similar way. Asterius/Len and the other characters you haven’t met are actually quite similar to a bunch of characters I made yeeears ago in my old fantasy setting.

But in terms of games influences, I’d probably call on Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer and maybe even Borderlands as well. Really love those games, and I adore their kind of humour. :wink:

Thanks a lot! Helpful!

I know it doesn’t have the most variety of a CoG game. I mean Asterius even mentions that it’s railroading several times. I was mostly aiming for interactive story and something fun. The game doesn’t take itself very seriously! I’ll take that thought into consideration, though!

7 Likes

Poor Len, but to look that awesome and sexy one has to be prepared to suffer, right?

Yay! But I hope you’ll also spare some thoughts for our poor mc’s in that department, mine wouldn’t want to be the worst dressed of our intrepid little party. :wink:

Oh, and welcome to the forums by the way. :tada: Spend some time here and your soul will not be “innocent” anymore ever again. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

New DWMU meme: the MC must be terribly dressed at all times and have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever.

1 Like

You, evil, evil (wo)man, my poor mc! :grinning:
But what use is the Wit and Charm stat then, eh?

Seduction! You need to have a great deal of Wily Charms to seduce someone while dressed that badly!

Well if they can still do that it seems more that the game is preventing/system the (virtual) mc from dressing anywhere close to acceptable, rather than the mc themselves having no fashion sense. In that case mine would rather go naked though. :laughing:
Your diabolical plans also fail on account of us having a rather stylish top hat.

Exactly. I couldn’t possibly give the MC nice clothes if they wear the top hat at the same time. It would be a style overload. The servers would melt from the MC’s swagger and the VR world would break and then the game would be over before it began.

2 Likes

Hmm…any system that can handle Len shouldn’t have too much trouble with the mc, besides one of the best things about games is leveling up and acquiring nice gear. I accept that my mc will never be as cute as Len, but he refuses to be done in by a princess and a fellow gamer! :wink:

1 Like

Nice! I read Color of Magic and a watched the movie, they were both hilarious! Satire is the best. Monkey Island too ! “Gotta get me one of those nice, cushy, government jobs…” definitely like that tongue in cheek vibe you have going on in there.

I absolutely love this I especially like all the references my favorites were the overwatch and fall out boy

2 Likes

Tiny typo…

When meeting the village chief, he says “He might raise our village or worse.” ‘Raise’ is to lift something up. It should probably be ‘raze’, which means ‘destroy’. >.>;