Lords of Aswick - Out Now!

The Epilogue actually says Twin Sons (at least for me) sooo both will be guys?

It is less likely that Queen Augustine will support your daughter being Earl than it is that King Stephen would if it was your explicit wish, at least if you were nice to him as you raised him and was his steadfast ally.

My reasoning being that, even if Queen Augustine did take you as a lover, there are a variety of reasons other than just her liking you, such as political reasons and keeping your loyalty. Which would mean she does not really care.
On the otherhand, you outright raised Stephen, and were the only reason he could become King, remaining his close advisor and friend throughout your entire life. His friendship could resultantly be a lot more “real”.

Could it ever be possible to have a map of this world? Even a rough sketch would do wonders to make the geographic location easier to understand. Also, does the Viscounty of Dumas continue through our line or is another branch of of family going to take direct control of it like the differing baronies that we accumulated.

But…why’d you give the choice in the first place? What am I choosing between when I’m literally provided one single choice? What made you decide to put a choice there and then not actually give us a choice? You realize I’ve literally gone 20 pages without a choice, right? That’s just mind numbing. I don’t mean to badger you, but it’s just the opposite of what I look for in interactive fiction. I mean…you talk about “illusions of choice” but that’s the very definition of that. And not every choice has to set the story onto massive branches. I actually prefer ones that customize the story and make the MC more like whoever is reading the title, because then I actually feel invested in it.

3 Likes

I would assume that the Viscounty would probably be given to a younger son. Mostly because it would be annoying for the elder son to have land in what I assume is either Normandy or Aquitaine while other lands are given to his younger siblings located in Norwall.

Its fine that you have a preference but people aren’t mandated to structure their game around it. Your criticism is fairly aggressive considering it’s really a matter of taste.

Having played the full product I found the story had enough meaningful choices to warrant several replays that all produced considerably different experiences.

The game is simply designed to be very different from a lot of other Choice Script titles, yours included. I felt the way the game was created ended up feeling historically accurate with choices and opportunities that made sense given the political standing and agency of the character at that specific juncture. This is an interesting approach to a game that was designed as a period piece. In my opinion that is a perfectly legitimate and artful design choice that provides some valuable variety to the Choice Script games on offer.

7 Likes

I don’t mean to sound aggressive; things can be misinterpreted over the internet. I was just disappointed in having a choice only every 15 pages or so, only to get a choice with only one option.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I seemed aggressive! Obviously everyone has a right to an opinion and I do genuinely enjoy your work.

1 Like

@Samuel_H_Young & @Goshman

While your viewpoints may be poles apart, the odd thing in this case is that you’re both absolutely correct. I will applaud any author for asserting their right to take a distinct approach with their work (you can never please everyone all of the time). However, it behoves us all to remember that there are two words in “interactive fiction”, not just one, and a fine balance often makes for a better experience for the (typical) reader. Choices don’t always have to be about major game-changing decisions; they can be employed simply to more deeply immerse the player in the role / game world. Sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference.

7 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young, @Longwaywest, @Vendetta
This is developing into a very interesting discussion.

I realize a lot of people prefer the much more choice-heavy works when it comes to interactive fiction. As a reader/player I do as well.
As an author, however, I felt like this particular story and this particular world was better served with a design choice that limited the amount of choices and when it gave choices, it had consequences. Specifically, consequences that did not become directly apparent the very next page. Ultimately, Lords of Aswick is not about a knight in shining armor that readers want to be, but about someone who would have plausibly been a real knight; someone confined by social and religious norms.

From the majority of feedback, it seems I was not entirely wrong with my assessment and some people seem very happy that now there is a polar opposite on HG for the very choice-heavy stories.

That doesn’t mean I will make my other projects quite as barren of choice, however.

i loved it and cant wait for the next. i want my choices to matter not be a little nod and then continue the plot like heroes rises.

1 Like

It seems like most of the choices in the beginning are fake choices that only effect the stats, or choices where you don’t actually choose between anything. (Like when you just go down a list of questions or whatever.)

stats changes are a choice?

there are a few "choices’ that do not do anything one way or the other that bug me but i kind of understand role play wise

still kind of want too know the build you need for the 3 baron titles for your name (just so i can play it)

the only thing i found wierd was the random mix of kids you get! one play trough i have 3 son`s and they have one sister
next play trough same choices i get 2 and 2 and i get a lovely funny sceen about some random guy courting my daughter.

ps the last kid you get if your faith is really high does his/her live gets saved then??

The last kid always dies.

good to know. now i still want the build for all 3 baronies

Wow, I bought this game at 10 PM and finally finished my first play through at 6 AM and loved every moment of it. There are a few things I would have liked to see, such as greater freedom over your earldom and your personal life, but overall I think that this was a amazing game and I’m eagerly awaiting news on the sequel.

1 Like

I just finished many read throughs of Lords of Aswick and really enjoyed it. Thank you @Goshman for several really enjoyable hours. Along with Sabres of Infinity this has to be one of my favourite HG. Seems I enjoy the historical settings more than I realised.

After taking the time to replay I really enjoyed the large divergence between the branches on lots of the choices. Particularly between supporting Stephen or the queen and winning or losing the three way battle. I discovered the crusader plot line after a few alternative play throughs and it really surprised me at how in depth and truly different it was and made me really appreciate the replay value and the time taken by the author to invest in this strong alternative plot branch.

I understand the criticisms about the changing tense and typos but I didn’t find any of it to be jarring or so off putting that I lost any kind of immersion in the game. I’ve learned to excuse minor typos, especially in a first version of a release, if it doesn’t occur so often that it detracts from the story.

The discussion surrounding the number of choices or the frequency with which they occur is really interesting and it’s good to see people’s differing view points on what is acceptable and what isn’t. I don’t mind reading several pages of text in between choices if that text is building up a scenario or environment which will make any subsequent choice feel more informed and provide me with a deeper level of perspective. I felt like the choices in the game did that. This is infinitely more rewarding to me than having a choice every page or other which is either meaningless or which I don’t feel invested in the outcome of. That’s not to say other titles do this but I’d prefer pages of narrative in between choices than following a model which requires regular choices if it comes at the expense of them being insignificant or irrelevant. I understand some people enjoy the odd fake choice to feel more engaged but I personally hate agonising over a choice to find out it makes no real difference.

I think @Samuel_H_Young makes a really valid point in that as a work of interactive fiction the interactivity is solely in the choices you make, and a lack of these would feel frustrating as you wouldn’t be allowed input at moments you feel were key and could lead to feeling railroaded down a path you wouldn’t have liked to have chosen. I really enjoyed Trial of the Demon Hunter and never felt rail roaded or disengaged at all. In spite of the different model, I didn’t feel like that with this game either though.

The single choice options when taking the oath didn’t faze me and tbh I’m a bit surprised at the difference of opinion it has caused. I read it as obviously not a ‘choice’ but more of a tool to aid the role playing element whereby you had some level of engagement in what would be a significant point in the MCs life. It almost made me feel as if I was taking the oath myself and I thought it was a clever way to use the game mechanic to a different end.

I can’t wait for the sequel(s) as it left me eager to find out what happens next to the house I felt like I’d created. Seriously, a really really good read for me and a worthwhile discussion to come out of it too. Sorry for the wall of text! :smiley:

5 Likes

I always do both just because it makes me feel like I’ve really accomplished something but if you get the Kings ransom, the do something bigger, and the large scale mining/expand trade canals will it really help anything? @Goshman

yes, some, not as far as i can tell but i might be wrong

Truly amazing writing, right there with Sabres of Infinity possibly better overall. Longest IF in my opinion on the site with true replayability. My only complain’d be lack of interaction with your heir/son and other knights, Mostly Orville & Edgar.

4.5/5 Im sure you’ll get better if you write more IFs. Can’t wait for a sequel. GJ Teo.

2 Likes